DisneylandForward

mickEblu

I understand its a bummer for some after recent projects. But my point is that it seems like some expected announcements and shovels hitting the grounds day one after Disney was eligible with DisneylandForward. I honestly wasn't expecting much of anything before D23 myself. I'd be surprised if they announced anything before then. And if so it would really only be the start of the EGW, but even that I don't expect until D23.

I agree. I wasn't expecting any annoucements until D23. I was just saying that I'm not sure I care what they announce anymore. If every project disappoints, why should I care?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah it sounds crazy. I guess the obvious answer is cutting out Universal but its hard to imagine going to Orlando and not doing Hagrid's, going to the newest park or seeing Dragon Alley.
It might just have to be separate shorter trips. I'd eventually like to get out there, but I can't imagine it would be longer than 5 days at a time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree. I wasn't expecting any annoucements until D23. I was just saying that I'm not sure I care what they announce anymore. If every project disappoints, why should I care?
Well.... You're still here, so that shows (at least to me) that you still care just a bit (even if its only a very small bit). So if nothing else maybe it'll be out morbid curiosity that you check out what is announced.

mickEblu

Well.... You're still here, so that shows (at least to me) that you still care just a bit (even if its only a very small bit). So if nothing else maybe it'll be out morbid curiosity that you check out what is announced.

I'm here mostly talking about TBA but got pulled into this thread. Right now, I don't really care about any DL Forward possibilities. If they announce Cosmic Rewind (or an equivalent) or a Star Wars coaster coming then that will change at least in regard to those projects. Anything else, probably not. Although a Coco ride at DCA would be intriguing. Then again, I do believe that a change is happening at WDI/ Disney when it comes to the parks and unfortunately TBA was just a bit early. I also believe that future attractions will benefit from the TBA failure/ backlash. I think they'll tone down the authentic, messaging, etc. stuff and focus on the stuff that matters. I think they probably realize TBA wasn't the type of ride to skip out on an antagonist. When you consider the source material, 50 foot drop and what was there previously.

Last edited:

Jiggsawpuzzle35

I’m probably going to go to WDW in the next 2-3 years for the first time and I’m wondering how the heck I’m going to do all 4 WDW parks, 3 Universals parks and leave some downtime so it at least kind of feels like a vacation. Sounds like 10 days would be the bare minimum but it also sounds like a lot. The wife and I feel wrecked after one day at Disneyland sometimes with the kids. I can only imagine 8 out of 10 days at theme parks. Somethings gotta give.
We did 9 days last month. 5 days Disney and 2 days Universal. Day one was a red eye arriving at 5:30 a.m. so that was a rest day and our flight leaving back to LAX was at 9 p.m. however that day was a Disney Springs day. To be honest, you need a day in between to recuperate. With Epic Universe opening, you should plan for 11 days. We spent our whole time staying on Disney property but I wish we could have stayed at universal for 2 days since they allow you one full hour of early entry. If you stay at their high end hotels at universal, you get front of the line passes which is an amazing perk. Universal Studios is a half day park which you can get done around 3 or 4 p.m. If I were you, I’d go next year. This year, I booked our rooms around January because Disney was offering 30% off of rooms from May to September if I recall. Then in April, they offered a 4 park pass for around $400 which is an amazing deal if you only need four days. I bought a ton of Disney gift cards to pay for my room. At one time Costco was doing $250 gift cards for $225. My stay at Coronado Springs ended up being a little bit less than $2000. My kids were a pain in the butt this trip along with my ex and her family (lol long story don’t ask). Stop putting it off and save up now by stacking up those gift cards. If you want a shorter trip, 4 days at Disney, one full day at Epic, and do both Studios and IOA in one day starting off at IOA.

choco choco

I’m probably going to go to WDW in the next 2-3 years for the first time and I’m wondering how the heck I’m going to do all 4 WDW parks, 3 Universals parks and leave some downtime so it at least kind of feels like a vacation. Sounds like 10 days would be the bare minimum but it also sounds like a lot. The wife and I feel wrecked after one day at Disneyland sometimes with the kids. I can only imagine 8 out of 10 days at theme parks. Somethings gotta give.

Skip Magic Kingdom, there's very little to recommend there. Unless a whole lot changes at Hollywood Studios, that's the next one you can cut, since most of it is available in California.

Most of Universal Studios Florida can be missed as well, save for Diagon Alley, which can be bought with a Park Hopper with Islands of Adventure. That means you can combine Islands of Adventure with Diagon Alley for a full day.

That leaves you Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Islands of Adventure and Epic as your four focus parks for Orlando, and that is much more do-able and totally sufficient.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Skip Magic Kingdom, there's very little to recommend there. Unless a whole lot changes at Hollywood Studios, that's the next one you can cut, since most of it is available in California.

Most of Universal Studios Florida can be missed as well, save for Diagon Alley, which can be bought with a Park Hopper with Islands of Adventure. That means you can combine Islands of Adventure with Diagon Alley for a full day.

That leaves you Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Islands of Adventure and Epic as your four focus parks for Orlando, and that is much more do-able and totally sufficient.
Whoa whoa whoa...let's not get crazy here! @mickEblu If you're planning your first trip to WDW, you must go to Magic Kingdom. OG Space Mountain and Hall of Presidents and the best stateside Big Thunder (aside from the lackluster third lift hill), though the latter is going under the knife soon for an extended period.

And you have to ride the OG Tower of Terror at DHS, even if you skip everything else.

At Epcot, you have to see American Adventure before it gets destroyed (I can't believe it's still there and untarnished in any way).

Animal Kingdom is losing the great Dinosaur, but Kilimanjaro Safaris, even in its narrative-less form is still worth doing.

All this is to say: if you're going to WDW, do yourself a favor and visit every park. You probably aren't planning many trips out that way, so maximize your time. That said, I haven't been since 2017 and there were a ton more perks back then that have since been taken away. So I can't necessarily say if it's WORTH it these days. But @Sirwalterraleigh was there pretty recently, and he could probably tell you (and he doesn't have pixie-dusted glasses).

Centauri Space Station

Whoa whoa whoa...let's not get crazy here! @mickEblu If you're planning your first trip to WDW, you must go to Magic Kingdom. OG Space Mountain and Hall of Presidents and the best stateside Big Thunder (aside from the lackluster third lift hill), though the latter is going under the knife soon for an extended period.

And you have to ride the OG Tower of Terror at DHS, even if you skip everything else.

At Epcot, you have to see American Adventure before it gets destroyed (I can't believe it's still there and untarnished in any way).

Animal Kingdom is losing the great Dinosaur, but Kilimanjaro Safaris, even in its narrative-less form is still worth doing.

All this is to say: if you're going to WDW, do yourself a favor and visit every park. You probably aren't planning many trips out that way, so maximize your time. That said, I haven't been since 2017 and there were a ton more perks back then that have since been taken away. So I can't necessarily say if it's WORTH it these days. But @Sirwalterraleigh was there pretty recently, and he could probably tell you (and he doesn't have pixie-dusted glasses).
Yeah if any park could be skipped it’s USO

mickEblu

I have to do MK as it would be my first time at WDW. I’m interested in seeing the park and comparing different versions of the same attractions. Let alone attractions like Tron , 7DMT, CBJ, COP and HOP. I think I can get away with a half day at DHS since I Dont have to do GE, MMRR, Star Tours, TSMM and don’t have interest in any shows. I’ll probably just do Slinky, RnR, TOT and Sci Fi Dine In.

I like the idea of a park hopper for USF and IOA. I also need to ride E.T again. It’s been over 25 years.

Yeah it still sounds daunting. Haha

mickEblu

Oh for sure. There is no way I would go all the way out there for the first time and not visit every park at WDW. Yeah, I have Must Do’s at every park at WDW including all the ones you listed. Universal would get axed before I skipped out on any of the WDW parks but I would like to do at least 2 days at Universal.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It’s still possible to get a lot of enjoyment out of wdw. However that depends on expectations and your level of investment.

The value of travel there has fallen. This is hotly disputed…but you simply do not get the service/detail/value that its reputation was built with.

As long as people are ok with that…you can tune a lot of the noise out and have a good time on your terms.

The management has not strengthened the property or put it the right position moving forward - however.

Which is why just yesterday tight pants was back to making vague promises…again…

Last edited:

mlayton144

Is anyone actually expecting anything before D23 in August?

It’s a different beast than Disneyland , budget permitting, stay deluxe and plan 4-6 hours per day in park, relax at resort/resort hop, make some table service reservations , etc. 7 parks in 10 days sounds a bit much esp if you are bringing smaller kids for the ride.

mickEblu

It’s a different beast than Disneyland , budget permitting, stay deluxe and plan 4-6 hours per day in park, relax at resort/resort hop, make some table service reservations , etc. 7 parks in 10 days sounds a bit much esp if you are bringing smaller kids for the ride.

Yeah it does sound like a lot. I’ll probably just have to go in realizing I’m not going to do everything and just focus on hitting the Must Do’s. Doing EVERYTHING and not killing yourself probably can’t happen unless you go for like 2 weeks. Fitting in 1-2 days at Universal also probably means not hitting any WDW park more than once. Might need park hoppers for insurance.

Anyway, didn’t mean to turn this into a trip planning thread. This is at least 21 months away.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Did I miss something? Was it related to the Tiana's Bayou Adventure opening?

Let me guess, he said something about something happening some day beyond Thunder Mountain? Again?
The “inference” was “we got more coming than just what our unpaid internet press agents talk about on forums all day rent free 😐…”

But this is the standard schtick from the “era of under delivery”…
Talk big, take forever, under produce

co10064

Premium Member
The inherent problem I see with the resort’s layout and any potential expansion is this:

What from I can tell, Disney makes more profit per guest* from hotel stays than theme park visits in Anaheim, due to their very high room prices and large share of APs visiting the parks.

It follows that Disney is primarily interested in expanding its on-site hotel catalog. However, Disney knows new attractions are needed to keep guests coming.

The Toy Story lot isn’t large enough for a third theme park when you consider backstage support, parking, etc. Therefore, new attractions are most likely to go west of the existing theme parks.

Existing hotels west of the theme parks limit the size of attraction expansion, meaning a third theme park couldn’t fit there either. Disney can’t demolish these hotels because they are unwilling to lose the inventory, DVC contracts prevent it, and perhaps a potential issue with the land usage rights for the Pixar Pier Hotel.

Therefore, new hotels must be built in the Toy Story lot… but these hotels will be the furthest away from the theme parks. Even if themed and priced as deluxe hotels, you are still going to have to take a bus to get to said theme parks.

And while new attractions are sure to increase attendance, a third theme park would do a better job of increasing the length of stay for their on-site hotel guests (even if the hypothetical attraction count would be the same as DL & DCA expansions), because many guests have been conditioned to the “one day per theme park” model.

That’s not to say the business plan is flawed; in fact, any expansion will surely increase attendance and revenue for the Walt Disney Company. But it’s not as easy as they’d like it to be.

*edits for clarity in bold

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

The inherent problem I see with the resort’s layout and any potential expansion is this:

What from I can tell, Disney makes more profit from hotel stays than theme park visits in Anaheim, due to their very high room prices and large share of APs visiting the parks.
I absolutely buy this for Orlando, but not sure that I do for Anaheim.

Do you have any data to support this?

co10064

Premium Member

Maybe I didn’t articulate myself well. I meant that TDA makes more in profit per individual at a resort versus their theme parks. Of course, more people visit their theme parks, so the theme parks are earning more profit overall.

In other words, 100 guests at a hotel (even if those 100 don’t go to theme parks at all) is generating more revenue than 100 different guests visiting their theme parks… the hotels are more lucrative in per guest revenue (though the hotels obviously wouldn’t survive without the theme parks).

Last edited:

Nirya

Idk, it kinda tracks if you think of the hotel stays as highlighting a customer that is going to bring in higher profit compared to an AP, especially considering that a visiting guest staying at a hotel is having to spend the premium price for the hotel room + is more likely to pay extra for various things (Genie+, premium dining packages, experiences like the Boutique) because of the "once-in-a-lifetime" phenomenon than an AP is willing to do.

Meanwhile, the average profit per visit for APs goes down with each visit because they've already paid the price to get in up-front. So for example, at the highest level, an Inspire Key AP that visits eight times is bringing in ~$206.13 per visit, but when you bump that up to 10 visits, it goes down to $164.90 per visit, and so on. That obviously doesn't include any add-ons they may buy (just as an example, I visited the parks four times last week and only bought Genie+ once, and since I have an Inspire Key I wasn't paying for parking on any visit) but your APs almost by definition are not going to bring in nearly the same profit as a hotel guest.

That said, I can also see the math being very different for Anaheim than it is Orlando because Anaheim is a locals park while Orlando is advertised as a vacation destination. Getting hotel guests at the resort is great and Disney would obviously love more of them, but at the same time the AP program brings the company some budget stability as far as income that they can supplement with day tickets and hotel stays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom