DisneylandForward

DLR92

bruh

this was the whole origin of this debate: "putting logic" or perhaps more aptly using logic to see where it would be most feasible to fit a story coaster into DCA or its part of the DisneylandForward expansion plot.

I've laid out why Avengers campus makes sense to me given the size of the showbuilding as well as the ride system/IP fit.

I don't know if it's productive to discuss this specific aspect further, so maybe we should turn to the ride system that we seem to be getting in that space: Disney's Universal's Scoop 3.0.

What are folks impressions of the Peter Pan ride so far? I was skeptical but after seeing a longer video I think it seems like a neat attraction. Not the "park defining kind of E-ticket" that Radiator Springs Racers was, and I think most on here agree DCA needs 1 (ideally 2) more of, but certainly a nice experience.

Here's the video if anyone is interested, spoilers beware:

I’m not even that all impressed with modern Peter Pan ride. Maybe I’m not impressed with video screens.

TP2000

Incidentally, here's what I come up with for available expansion pads and their acreage at DCA, without having to expand beyond the current park boundaries and into "DisneylandForward" property west of Disneyland Drive.

There's four main plots of area that are either completely abandoned (Stage 17, Stage 12, Hyperion Theater, backstage parking, Lion King Tram route, etc.), or are either under-utilized or easily moved/reconfigured (Pixar Pier backstage, MSEP Parade warehouse, backstage administration buildings, etc.) The only thing inside the green shaded areas on this map that is currently an active operating attraction is Monsters Inc. in the Hollywood Backlot, that's the only operating ride you'd potentially lose.

Everything else here in the green shading is unused, abandoned, or temporary backstage areas slated as expansion pads.

Spread Out A Bit.jpg

The Hollywood Backlot area, which leaves Philharmagic, Disney Jr., and Animation as operating attractions, is 9 acres.
The remnants of the Timon Parking Lot south of Mission Breakout is about 7.5 acres.
The MSEP Parade warehouse built next to Cars Land and San Fransokyo is 2 acres.
The backstage area behind Pixar Pier, not including Midway Mania, is 4 acres.

TheRealSkull

So since a bunch of posters think the Trolley barn may be moving to make more room for a potential Cosmic Rewind clone behind M:BO, where do you think Disney would put it?
Honestly if Zootopia goes where the Backlot is (btw I have no proof on that, but I think it's a logical place for it considering the Monorail would fit in with theming quite nicely), the Red Car Trolley meandering through that section of the park would also be thematically consistent. Potentially a new barn could be placed there if they are expanding back into the bus drop-off zone.

mickEblu

Why does everyone hate the Red Car Trolley. 🥲

the attraction is supposed to be Pan

Borrrrrrring. I’d rather wait another year for something great. Not sure why that would be necessary though. What if they already went back to the drawing board? It’s been a while since we heard anything.

TP2000

Honestly if Zootopia goes where the Backlot is (btw I have no proof on that, but I think it's a logical place for it considering the Monorail would fit in with theming quite nicely), the Red Car Trolley meandering through that section of the park would also be thematically consistent. Potentially a new barn could be placed there if they are expanding back into the bus drop-off zone.

Good point. Although the original Eastern Gateway plan showed a rerouting of the monorail tracks to the north, to avoid DCA entirely until just before the Buena Vista Street bridge overpass.

And since we'd have the Eastern Gateway as part of that, which opens up over half of the current tram/bus loading area for DCA expansion, that Hollywood Backlot expansion area goes up to 13 acres of land available.

I added the green shading roughly into how far the original Eastern Gateway plan showed that DCA would go.

Gateway To The West.jpg

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Good point. Although the original Eastern Gateway plan showed a rerouting of the monorail tracks to the north, to avoid DCA entirely until just before the Buena Vista Street bridge overpass.

And since we'd have the Eastern Gateway as part of that, which opens up over half of the current tram/bus loading area for DCA expansion, that Hollywood Backlot expansion area goes up to 13 acres of land available.

I added the green shading roughly into how far the original Eastern Gateway plan showed that DCA would go.

View attachment 788083
I know it’s already discussed and beaten to death. Just wish those three motels and 7-11 on the corner would sell their property so DCA can have a couple extra acres to expand. Also would love to see those apartment complexes around Haster and Orangewood would sell too.

Consumer

Incidentally, here's what I come up with for available expansion pads and their acreage at DCA, without having to expand beyond the current park boundaries and into "DisneylandForward" property west of Disneyland Drive.

There's four main plots of area that are either completely abandoned (Stage 17, Stage 12, Hyperion Theater, backstage parking, Lion King Tram route, etc.), or are either under-utilized or easily moved/reconfigured (Pixar Pier backstage, MSEP Parade warehouse, backstage administration buildings, etc.) The only thing inside the green shaded areas on this map that is currently an active operating attraction is Monsters Inc. in the Hollywood Backlot, that's the only operating ride you'd potentially lose.

Everything else here in the green shading is unused, abandoned, or temporary backstage areas slated as expansion pads.

View attachment 788081

The Hollywood Backlot area, which leaves Philharmagic, Disney Jr., and Animation as operating attractions, is 9 acres.
The remnants of the Timon Parking Lot south of Mission Breakout is about 7.5 acres.
The MSEP Parade warehouse built next to Cars Land and San Fransokyo is 2 acres.
The backstage area behind Pixar Pier, not including Midway Mania, is 4 acres.
Interesting. Let me propose my suggestion for DCA expansion pads.
DCA Expansion Pads.jpg

BrianLo

Borrrrrrring. I’d rather wait another year for something great. Not sure why that would be necessary though. What if they already went back to the drawing board? It’s been a while since we heard anything.

We last heard from them in the Fall. It would be at least a two year delay for a coaster at this stage. It’s also co-funded with Hong Kong and I don’t think they are dying for a coaster. It’s a great attraction (cosmic rewind) but a poor character showcase.

I have no personal commentary on Pan since I’m avoiding spoilers, but Tom Bricker certainly seemed to give it glowing praise.

I get wishful thinking but this is starting to turn into denial.

TheRealSkull

View attachment 788083
Another reason why I thought Zootopia instead of Avatar back in that area, because it would make for a smoother transition from Hollywood Land. This is assuming they will keep Hollywood Land, that is. I don't see why they wouldn't.

mickEblu

We last heard from them in the Fall. It would be at least a two year delay for a coaster at this stage. It’s also co-funded with Hong Kong and I don’t think they are dying for a coaster. It’s a great attraction (cosmic rewind) but a poor character showcase.

I have no personal commentary on Pan since I’m avoiding spoilers, but Tom Bricker certainly seemed to give it glowing praise.

I get wishful thinking but this is starting to turn into denial.

And Pan IMO would be boring with good character showcase. Fun should be the priority. We already know the characters from the movies. I don’t think its the right ride system for an Avengers ride.

Denial? How so? The odds are very high that it will still be the Pan ride system as it’s the last thing we heard. I have mentioned this in other posts. That was a silly comment dude.

BrianLo

And Pan IMO would be boring with good character showcase. Fun should be the priority. We already know the characters from the movies. I don’t think its the right ride system for an Avengers ride.

Denial? How so? The odds are very high that it will still be the Pan ride system as it’s the last thing we heard. I have mentioned this in other posts. That was a silly comment dude.

Sorry not from you, collectively. Why are we multiple pages into something that isn’t happening.

(Also I co-got sucked into a conversation on another board that everyone is absolutely convinced the Toy Story lot is going to 100 percent be a third park)… so I’m banging my head against a wall. 😂

TheRealSkull

Sorry not from you, collectively. Why are we multiple pages into something that isn’t happening.

(Also I co-got sucked into a conversation on another board that everyone is absolutely convinced the Toy Story lot is going to 100 percent be a third park)… so I’m banging my head against a wall. 😂
Um... why wouldn't it be a third park?

mickEblu

Haha I dunno. Because that's what happens here?

Toy Story lot is another place where I am engaging in wishful thinking. But who cares really? All of the new attractions and lands I've experienced range from downright bad to a mixed bag. If you gave me the option of freezing 2016 DLR in time or taking my chances on the future Id take 2016 DLR even if they told me they were building a third park.

BrianLo

Um... why wouldn't it be a third park?

The resort does not have enough current space in its existing boundaries to remove four surface lots and replace them with one single parking structure (Timon). In addition to fully utilizing western disneyland drive plots for theme park expansions (which will drive attendance and parking needs). In addition to having anywhere significant for more resorts and accommodations.

The resort would be in a massive parking deficit and would be unable to build the number of hotel keys they’d like to. It’s just not happening unless they acquire land.

Beyond the fact they’ve made it clear they want hotel rooms and retail for the conventioneers.

Basically Disneyland and DCA can majorly expand or you can have a third park. You can’t have both because they sure are never sacrificing hotels.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The resort does not have enough current space in its existing boundaries to remove four surface lots and replace them with one single parking structure (Timon). In addition to fully utilizing western disneyland drive plots for theme park expansions (which will drive attendance and parking needs). In addition to having anywhere significant for more resorts and accommodations.

The resort would be in a massive parking deficit and would be unable to build the number of hotel keys they’d like to. It’s just not happening unless they acquire land.

Beyond the fact they’ve made it clear they want hotel rooms and retail for the conventioneers.
Agreed, except the new parking structure is Pumbaa not Timon. :)

mickEblu

Haha I dunno. Because that's what happens here?

Toy Story lot is another place where I am engaging in wishful thinking. But who cares really? All of the new attractions and lands I've experienced range from downright bad to a mixed bag. If you gave me the option of freezing 2016 DLR in time or taking my chances on the future Id take 2016 DLR even if they told me they were building a third park.

This is probably part of the reason I want a coaster. It's pretty low risk. Hards to imagine a modern coaster being underwhelming when DLR hasn't gotten a themed coaster since 1979.

BrianLo

This is probably part of the reason I want a coaster. It's pretty low risk. Hards to imagine a modern coaster being underwhelming when DLR hasn't gotten a themed coaster since 1979.

And I'll be honest my brain tends to treat the parks a little more fluidly than everyone else's so I'm less feeling like there is a coaster deficit because of Tron, Cosmic Rewind, Slinky, Oaken's, this forthcoming Spiderman Coaster and even Grizzly Gulch.

But I recognize DLR is in fact probably quite overdue. I'd love to see both an indoor and an outdoor in the Disneyland Forward expansion rollout.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom