Disneyland To Open Sept. 16th?

Mac Tonight

It’s a great question! If I had to guess, I would think that they might skip HMH this year. My only basis is that they delayed putting up Halloween decorations at WDW until mid/end September, even though they were well open during the time frame they usually put them up (mid-August). So DL will likely open with no Halloween decorations (unless they open VERY close to Halloween) and then add them in later. And it doesn’t make sense to open HMH without Halloween decor in the park. Also, CMs are still furloughed and they have a bunch of staff that assist with making HMH into what it is, so I don’t think it will open with it. Also, the few weeks of downtime it needs to transition to and from holiday may not be worth it this year when the parks have been closed for half a year and now APs will likely need reservations to visit and it’s not a leisurely “pop in” type thing. It would be a bummer if that ride was closed for a few weeks and that was when your reservation was.
I think if there was anything good that could come out of 2020, it would be for DL to bypass HMH altogether.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
If anyone wanted to see what Newsom said today:

“We’re making a lot of progress in that space. The reason we set it aside… is we still have work to do. Progress is still being made. We’re still working on some details. As soon as we’re at a point where we can make [that] public, we will.”

This was in response to a two-part q of the OCR reporter.
1) How do the theme parks fit in this 4-tier system; do you expect outdoor use permitted then indoor with restrictions, etc?
2) how did that Friday meeting go? Was there progress made?

Darkbeer1

>>Last week, Legoland California called on the governor to issue guidelines for theme parks to safely reopen.

“We don’t expect to open today, but we just need some sort of indicator as to where things stand,” Legoland California president Kurt Stocks said. “We have been asking for many months now for the state to issue us guidance.”

Legoland joined a growing chorus of voices from Disney, Universal, SeaWorld and Six Flags calling on Newsom and state officials to let California theme parks reopen.<<

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Yep, usually they update that at least 3 weeks out based on what I’ve seen. It used to be in monthly increments. I’ve been keeping my eye on this if something slips, but nope. I’m curious, at the very least, are they trying to see if they should increase hours for DTD? Not sure.

Just as an update, they now put the DTD hours up but the parks are “currently unavailable” still, starting sept 16. Sept 20 is when DTD says “currently unavailable” too, which is the 3 week out pattern that they typically do. Not sure why parks are still currently unavailable. 👀

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Based on this alone, I think that the park with open with the recently refurb-posted rides.

Attachments

• E94A3F1C-6EA7-4CE3-A035-5E88DB1D1C82.png
    E94A3F1C-6EA7-4CE3-A035-5E88DB1D1C82.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 99
  • D18448C6-91F7-4EC3-A822-0CC6FE313707.png
    D18448C6-91F7-4EC3-A822-0CC6FE313707.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 99
  • A59E4648-39B5-4E93-A160-6BF057CC3E45.png
    A59E4648-39B5-4E93-A160-6BF057CC3E45.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 95
  • B85A5229-2F73-49B5-B51A-4FA1AC74CEA9.png
    B85A5229-2F73-49B5-B51A-4FA1AC74CEA9.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 98

lazyboy97o

I guess I don’t understand how Joe from Arizona, Tom from San Jose and John from SD are all that different from Ky’le from Tustin. You have sick and healthy people everywhere. Besides Disneyland is primarily a locals a park.
You keep looking at this from a micro/personal and geographic perspective. Yes, we now know that certain spaces make transmission easier but that is a secondary consideration. The virus transmits person-to-person so the bigger issue is person-to-person interaction at scale of thousands of interactions. How do minimize interactions between persons? This isn’t something like legionnaires where a place is just safe or not and you can clean it up and make it safe.

Just because you have sick people everywhere doesn’t mean they are evenly distributed across the population and area. It‘s why if you travel to certain areas of the world it is recommended you get vaccines you otherwise would not receive, because the disease is not endemic where you live but is endemic in another area. The whole reason SARS-CoV-1 is no longer a concern is because of efforts to contain the virus. Keep the virus contained to an area and a minimal amount of people and you can at least contain it so that spread is significantly minimized or ideally the virus is suffocated. Look up up the Biogen Conference in Boston. One event where one person ended up spreading SARS-CoV-2 across the country. If Arizona, San Jose and San Diego are all relatively free of cases but Ky’le from Tustin is contagious you’ve potentially reignited spread not just in those three areas but any area through those persons travel through. If Orange County has only a few cases what happens when you open up something that is enticing for people from a neighboring county where cases are on the rise? The whole origin of quarantines was the recognition that if a local group is not sick you shouldn’t just let anyone else into the group.

Just as Walt Disney World couldn’t support thousands of timeshare units on first time visitors, the Disneyland Resort could not support all of those surrounding hotels and businesses on locals alone. Even then, the “local area” for the Disneyland Resort is significantly larger in both geogr area, at times extending into Mexico, and population. Tourism is also an incredibly fickle industry. It is not unusual for an area to experience negative effects due to events that are not actually all that close. Florida will almost certainly suffer from the fact that it became the global epicenter as it pushed to reopen tourism, a situation that became global news. Disneyland opening as cases rebound would be a similarly bad story.

Last edited:

waltography

This is semi-unrelated I guess, but with the news that OC schools may reopen for physical learning as early as September 22, I'm a little bit worried that DL will end up in a PR situation similar to WDW where it'll open up right as a spike occurs in cases. (This is all assuming that they're shooting to open DL by the end of the month.)

Emmanuel

We're gonna be approaching the 6 month mark since theme parks closed in CA. Heres a bit of a timeline of what happened since March.

March 11th: NBA Game between the Utah Jazz and Oklahoma City Thunder "postponed" due to a player testing positive. Governor Newsom declares ban of gatherings of more than a 100 people including an emergency declaration due to Covid cases.

March 12th: Newsom says that Disneyland and other theme parks is exempt from the ban citing "Unique Circumstances". Hours later, Disney makes the decision to close the theme parks after March 13th. Hotels and DTD stays open for a time after the theme parks before eventually closing. Other theme parks in the state also close that same weekend.

Mid March-July: Theme Parks and resort remain closed indefinitely after the initial 2-week closure period. Businesses around the Anaheim Resort Area begin to suffer due to the resorts closure. Cast Members are paid until mid-April then put under furlough

June 10th: After the state announced that Theme parks are included in Phase 3 of Reopening, Disney announces phased reopening plans with the theme parks slated for July 17th despite the state not releasing guidelines. Disney pulls back the proposed reopening of the parks and hotels with DTD proceeding with reopening.

July 9th: Downtown Disney reopens with restrictions days after Newsom declared closure of indoor dining and debut of the now defunct "Monitoring List" with Orange County in the list after a surge in cases.

Late August: Days after Orange County is taken off the monitoring list, the list is replaced by a 4 colored-Tier leveled chart. Orange County is placed in Purple, the highest level indicating an outbreak. Newsom announces that he is in talks with the theme park industry about reopening and how the parks will operate either under the tiered reopening or separate.

Theres probably more but at least thats some of the major parts that occurred.

mikenatcity1

This is semi-unrelated I guess, but with the news that OC schools may reopen for physical learning as early as September 22, I'm a little bit worried that DL will end up in a PR situation similar to WDW where it'll open up right as a spike occurs in cases. (This is all assuming that they're shooting to open DL by the end of the month.)

I've started hearing rumblings of an end of September opening date, which would go along with the physical learning. I'm curious if that's going to be the case or not. I guess we will tell in the coming days!

Crazydisneygirl

I was planning for Nov 8 but the outlook looks bleak as coming from Canada. I already had park passes so contacted Disney and the expiring date is now Dec 2021 instead of 2020. I just cancelled my hotel room. Guess will try to see the xmas decoration in 2021. Very sad

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom