News Disneyland to give Tarzan’s Treehouse a new theme

Dear Prudence

If "Encanto" doesn't fit in Adventureland, then where does it fit?
It absolutely belongs in Adventureland. The Jungle Cruise has a South American River section. People are just mad that they don't like it and other people can enjoy it when they can't. Like not everything has to cater to you, my dudes. I was underwhelmed by Encanto (and have a lot of valid and cultural related criticism), butb I am not obsessed with the fact that I didn't enjoy it? LOL.

Dear Prudence

What I like about Disney+ vs. other streaming services is that almost nothing is ever removed. You bought it for Disney movies? Marvel? Star Wars? Go nuts. It's (mostly) all there and it's not going anywhere.

Whereas HBO Max hypes up things like DC movies and Harry Potter and has access to the entire Warner Bros. Library and then will remove things people know and like randomly and arbitrarily just because they feel like it. I don't understand how they think what they're doing is going to attract more business to them. It just baffles me how shortsighted other companies are with that. If you own things people like why are you sitting on them or removing them arbitrarily make it make sense.

Where Disney+ loses me is the absolutely glacial pace at which they release content, especially anything that might involve anything that's vintage Disney or related to the parks that's not already on the platform. They're not going to sustain their growth if they're just putting out one or two minor new things out a week. And eventually (at least, I HOPE eventually) people are going to need a reason to come to Disney+ beyond animation, Marvel, and Star Wars.

I AM happy Netflix finally lost some subscribers. They needed a wake-up call, their content has been largely mediocre for some time as they lost a lot of the shows that brought other people in to other streamers and most of the replacement content has been lackluster.
I was thinking about Netflix and Spotify as TEXTBOOK removers of movies and materials.

No Name

I actually don't think newer shows are being releases on DVD, if I can be honest. I also don't have a lot of time to watch stuff, although the commercials for some of the shows do look interesting
I only just looked it up before I commented, and it seems like there’s dvds, but for ~$20+ per dvd I’d be spending far more than the annual subscription.

Californian Elitist

It wouldn’t fit anywhere else in the park, but a placement in Adventureland isn’t exactly spot on. DL’s Adventureland has a 1930s jungle/temple theme. Encanto doesn’t fit that. Sure, Colombia has jungles, but Encanto mostly takes place inside the house.

Adventureland is the best placement, but I’m not necessarily convinced that it’s a great match.

No Name

At first, but over time, it will get to a point where you’ll pay more to stream the movies, assuming you already have most of the ones you like on video/DVD. That doesn’t bother me, though. Not yet.
I don’t have much on DVD and I watch a ton on Disney+, on my iPad too when traveling, which can’t take a DVD (and again I think dvds are a pain regardless). Even for the Marvel shows alone I think the price I pay is worth it so I’m really not even close to questioning the value.

No Name

Personally for me, paying $80 a year for the full collection and weekly releases is a comforting arrangement, but I’m sure for many people, owning the material permanently is their version of that. And if that works for you, great. I do just want to clarify that I see nothing wrong with it.

Now people who buy each song instead of paying for spotify… those people I think are truly insane!

Dear Prudence

Personally for me, paying $80 a year for the full collection and weekly releases is a comforting arrangement, but I’m sure for many people, owning the material permanently is their version of that. And if that works for you, great. I do just want to clarify that I see nothing wrong with it.

Now people who buy each song instead of paying for spotify… those people I think are truly insane!
Tidal is better. Artists make more money from Tidal and the streaming quality is better. 😊😉

WDWJoeG

I'm sorry, are you actually under the impression that Disney+ is free? Or that we still consume movies the same way we did when Frozen was released? Trying to decide if you're trolling.

Appreciate figurative speech is challenging so I'll be more literal.

The sunk cost of a subscription plan regardless of whether you actually watch anything means the watching or rewatching of content is "free" in the consumer's mind.

They are not having to actually pay $15/ticket or $60 for a family of four to watch the movie. Just click play and let it run for the kids to have on in the background while they watch YouTube on their phones.

When your cable TV bill was $100+/month and you changed the channels, nothing you were watching was "free", but there was no incremental transaction to watch a TV show, making it appear "free" to the consumer. The consumer didn't think they were "paying" to watch an episode of Senifeld or the local news, it was "just on".

Add in the fact that millions, like me, have never paid a cent for Disney+ as it's been marketed as a throwaway cell provider benefit and it literally is free to some.

The only truly comparable data point we have on actual performance is the $96M domestic box office, which was 40% below the box office of a very mediocre Sing 2 in the same holiday season.

But hey, if you want to rationalize Encanto is as big as Frozen, knock yourself out.

Disney Analyst

I don't really understand Disney Plus, either, because I already own all the films I want. I already pay for cable, why do I want a streaming service on top of that? I am a firm believer in buying media whenever possible (key being -whenever possible- because I know there's privileges there), because streaming had devalued media.

Just want to add perspective from a 31 year old Canadian.

When I moved out from my parents in 2011 to Vancouver, that was the last time I had access to cable on the regular. I have never personally owned cable, nor would I.

I no longer own a DVD player, although I could use the Xbox or PS4 if I wanted to watch something… but these days with Netflix, Crave, Prime, Disney+, and Apple TV+ …. Not really a need.

Also I feel there’s a big difference currently between music streaming and visual media streaming. Music streaming certainly has undervalued music / artists, which is something many artists have been outspoken about.

I don’t think Disney+, Netflix, etc. has had the same effect on artists?

tcool123

Fantasyland thanks to the fantastical powers of the family. However since Fantasyland has been reserved for European fantasy it stays in Adventureland cause its “exotic”. The movie itself isn’t an Adventure film it just takes place in the tropics and IMO thats not reason enough for it to be thematically in Adventureland. Aesthetically it will blend in even if it is more Fantasyland than Adventureland, and for Disney it’s likely easier to do as well.

Dear Prudence

Just want to add perspective from a 31 year old Canadian.

When I moved out from my parents in 2011 to Vancouver, that was the last time I had access to cable on the regular. I have never personally owned cable, nor would I.

I no longer own a DVD player, although I could use the Xbox or PS4 if I wanted to watch something… but these days with Netflix, Crave, Prime, Disney+, and Apple TV+ …. Not really a need.

Also I feel there’s a big difference currently between music streaming and visual media streaming. Music streaming certainly has undervalued music / artists, which is something many artists have been outspoken about.

I don’t think Disney+, Netflix, etc. has had the same effect on artists?
I am not sure about most of them, but Netflix got in trouble about not paying royalties appropriately. I don't know if that has changed because they pulled the project I worked on from the streaming service over these issues.

I DO know that a project like Encanto WOULD actually make money streaming, both the film and the music, because of the high, high streaming numbers. Someone like Disney would also probably have it in their contracts to be paid more on music streaming services, and the fact that THEY own their own streaming service cuts out a LOT of potential revenue loss. We Don't Talk About Bruno has millions of streams on YouTube, one of the few streaming services that actually pays pretty decently per stream (for music).

mharrington

Fantasyland thanks to the fantastical powers of the family. However since Fantasyland has been reserved for European fantasy it stays in Adventureland cause its “exotic”. The movie itself isn’t an Adventure film it just takes place in the tropics and IMO thats not reason enough for it to be thematically in Adventureland. Aesthetically it will blend in even if it is more Fantasyland than Adventureland, and for Disney it’s likely easier to do as well.
How would the tropics fit in Fantasyland?

mickEblu

The right place for Encanto would be DCA. They could have a South American inspired Adventureland version of Fantasy Springs with a Mystic Manor style Encanto ride, a suspended UP Ride where we ride in little houses and go to Paradise Falls and a Saludos Amigos boat ride (something new not the one from Epcot). An Incredibles ride based at the island from the original movie and anything Neverland could work as well.

They could put this in the backlot/ Eastern Gateway expansion area. Or somewhere in the Simba lot if Disneyland Forward happens.

Last edited:

mharrington

They were saying that the film is more fantasy than adventure, hence the Fantasyland mentioning.
Technically, by that logic, what does, say, the Enchanted Tiki Room have to do with adventure? I would think a bunch of singing birds and flowers are more fantasy than adventure, too.

I personally think it's far less egregious for "Encanto" to be in Adventureland than, say, for "The Princess and the Frog" to be in Frontierland (at least in WDW).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom