News Disneyland to give Tarzan’s Treehouse a new theme

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Tarzan will soon be swinging out of his treehouse at Disneyland to make room for a re-themed attraction that will see a new Disney character move into the 80-foot-tall man-made tree in Adventureland.

Disneyland will reimagine Tarzan’s Treehouse in Adventureland with a new theme and backstory, according to Disneyland officials.

The treehouse experience isn’t going away, but the Tarzan theme won’t return when the attraction reopens, according to Disneyland officials.

The walk-through attraction’s new theme, backstory and reopening date have not yet been announced.

MiceChat reports one possible overlay for Tarzan’s Treehouse could be an attraction themed to Disney’s “Encanto” animated film. In the movie, young Antonio Madrigal has a magical rainforest bedroom where he can communicate with animals. ShopDisney sells a $30 Antonio’s Treehouse play set based on his bedroom in “Encanto.”

The Academy Award-winner for best animated feature tells the story of the magical Madrigal family that lives in an enchanted place called Encanto hidden in the mountains of Colombia.

Disney CEO Bob Chapek and “Encanto” composer Lin-Manuel Miranda have already discussed possible theme park attractions based on the hit animated movie, according to The Wrap.

Disney has big plans for “Encanto,” which Chapek describes as the company’s newest film franchise — suggesting a sequel could be in the works.

Disneyland has added a Mirabel Madrigal meet-and-greet character, “Encanto” float to the returning Main Street Electrical Parade and nightly projection show on the facade of It’s a Small World set to the Billboard chart-topping “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” song.

Demolition of the entrance to Tarzan’s Treehouse will begin on Monday, April 18, according to Disneyland officials."

mickEblu

Not that it has been confirmed but it’s hard to believe that Encanto has always been the plan. The treehouse closed in September. The Encanto pandemonium didn’t start until Christmas. I wonder if they were considering converting back to Swiss Family before Encanto caught fire.

Whatever they do, please no more fiberglass character statues. I’ll take a little toucan or capybara AA though. Just make it feel like a real lived in place.

Anyway, nice to hear they re bulldozing the second tree/ entrance clogging up the walkway.

britain

Anyway, nice to hear they re bulldozing the second tree/ entrance clogging up the walkway.

I suppose so. Now I'll have to get my suspension bridge fun from a different part of the park. I always did like the way Adventureland, Frontierland and New Orleans Square all try to claim this one junction point as their own, like that grasping game to decide who gets a baseball bat.

Dear Prudence

My guess is this didn't make it past their inclusion comitee. That being said I have zero attachment to Tarzan and don't care all that much for it.
Tarzan is generally considered a failure. I am honestly surprised that Swiss Family Robinson was ever rethemed for it. They also didn't maintain it. The last time I was there when it was open, it was literally falling apart. It was legitimately pitiful.

That being said, I honestly think Antonio was the most interesting and engaging character in the whole movie (and even the initial previews made it seem like the movie had more of him in it), and I am fine with this!

I am just not looking forward to people whom this doesn't even effect representation wise to grandstand and circumnavigate this conversation back onto them. I wish that people would just let other folks have their moment, but they literally cannot shut up.

Dear Prudence

Not that it has been confirmed but it’s hard to believe that Encanto has always been the plan. The treehouse closed in September. The Encanto pandemonium didn’t start until Christmas. I wonder if they were considering converting back to Swiss Family before Encanto caught fire.

Whatever they do, please no more fiberglass character statues. I’ll take a little toucan or capybara AA though. Just make it feel like a real lived in place.

They had a "poster" on the outside of the construction that looked like they were trying to tie it into the Jungle Cruise.

mickEblu

I suppose so. Now I'll have to get my suspension bridge fun from a different part of the park. I always did like the way Adventureland, Frontierland and New Orleans Square all try to claim this one junction point as their own, like that grasping game to decide who gets a baseball bat.

Hahah just more of a reason to head over to TSI now.

That’s the beautify of why that junction works so well. With that said, Adventureland obviously wins that battle, followed by NOS, followed by Frontierland. Although when I just wrote that I was walking to Pirates from Adventureland. Suppose it depends on what way you are facing at the junction. Although the treehouse is so dominating its hard not to give Adventureland the win. Maybe without those trees covering the POTC facade it has more of a case. Frontierland by the time you get to Riverbelle doesn’t feel very Frontiery.

CaptinEO

Tarzan is generally considered a failure. I am honestly surprised that Swiss Family Robinson was ever rethemed for it. They also didn't maintain it. The last time I was there when it was open, it was literally falling apart. It was legitimately pitiful.

That being said, I honestly think Antonio was the most interesting and engaging character in the whole movie (and even the initial previews made it seem like the movie had more of him in it), and I am fine with this!

I am just not looking forward to people whom this doesn't even effect representation wise to grandstand and circumnavigate this conversation back onto them. I wish that people would just let other folks have their moment, but they literally cannot shut up.
Tarzan was insanely successful (the film anyways). It was to my knowledge the last successful 2D Disney movie made. But I don't think it's very good, no offense to any fans out there of it.

Seems like Disney was already on a slow decline post Lion King.

Dear Prudence

That makes sense too. A S.E.A thing or something. To be honest, if my choices are that or Encanto I’d rather have it themed to Encanto. That S.E.A stuff gets on my nerves.
It definitely was giving S.E.A. vibes, trying to imply that Jane or Tarzan were part of that (which honestly makes sense). That and I think the Burroughs family still owns the rights to the Tarzan books? I remember there being a special "with permission from the Burroughs estate" or something like that surrounding the attraction, so them moving to their own original IP makes sense.

I liked S.E.A. a lot when it was a novelty, but now I think it's just becoming over-saturated and exhausting.

EPCOTCenterLover

I wasn't aware Tarzan was generally considered a failure. According to IMDB, it had pretty good box office (almost 1/2 a billion worldwide and $171M US and Canada). And the general ratings seem positive (7.3 out of 10).

waltography

Glad to see they're removing the 90s entrance; I'll miss the rope bridge because I think it adds a nice bit of overhead theming, but totally worth removing it if it means the bottleneck there is alleviated somewhat.

Swiss Family Robinson has that reboot planned for Disney+ so I'm sure when Tarzan closed it was definitely in the cards to play into the nostalgia factor, but the way Encanto is now it's probably dashed its chances.

mickEblu

Glad to see they're removing the 90s entrance; I'll miss the rope bridge because I think it adds a nice bit of overhead theming, but totally worth removing it if it means the bottleneck there is alleviated somewhat.

Swiss Family Robinson has that reboot planned for Disney+ so I'm sure when Tarzan closed it was definitely in the cards to play into the nostalgia factor, but the way Encanto is now it's probably dashed its chances.

Which is too bad. I’d like to see the attraction reverted to its purpose built roots. No pun intended. Also, a treehouse won’t quite cut it for an Encanto attraction and you have to wonder if the odds of getting a significant Encanto attraction go down if they theme the treehouse to the movie. Of course depending on where that attraction would go, that may be a good thing.

waltography

Which is too bad. I’d like to see the attraction reverted to its purpose built roots. No pun intended. Also, a treehouse won’t quite cut it for an Encanto attraction and you have to wonder if the odds of getting a significant Encanto attraction go down if they theme the treehouse to the movie. Of course depending on where that attraction would go, that may be a good thing.
I agree. It's Frozen all over again where they have a red-hot property they want to invest the bare minimum in producing a mediocre experience instead of building an attraction worthy to meet the demand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom