News Disneyland to give Tarzan’s Treehouse a new theme

brb1006

Depending on what they do, I'm, on paper, fine with this. Tarzan's Treehouse was no masterpiece. Most of what worked about it seemed to be left over from the original SFT.

@Brer Panther, you are correct, HKDL also has a Tarzan's Treehouse. It's essentially the same as DL's, except you have to take a raft to get to it (if it was at DL it would essentially be right where the Fantasmic stage is) and there a few slightly more elaborate touches before you get to the actual experience. So if you've ever gone to TSI and felt like it wasn't worth the time you invested, HKDL is even worse.

Now, if they decide to do the same thing to the remaining Swiss Treehouses at any point, I will immediately surrender all approval towards this project. I also hope that if they use the Encanto treehouse they tone down the color palate so that it better matches its theme park environment.

As for the Bolt discourse, it is a fine, inoffensive movie. There's nothing really wrong with it but there's also nothing exceptional about it. The most notable thing about Bolt for me personally is that I got to watch it on the clock at the movie theater where I worked, the only Disney movie I can say that about. HOORAY for 3D glasses duty 1.0!

The actual Tarzan film strikes me as underrated nowadays. It's kind of the opposite of PATF-it made a decent amount of money but it seems like most people have forgotten about it. The first 30 minutes or so isn't great but the film gets considerably better once Tarzan reaches adulthood. It's also the only Disney film where the Deepcanvas technology really works and doesn't clash too much with the traditional animation. Hopefully now that everyone has Disney+ it'll be rediscovered by a new audience someday.
I vividly remember Animal Kingdom having a Tarzan show called "Tarzan Rocks" with live singers that lasted until 2006 (and opened the same year as the movie's release). The show was also 30 minutes long.

lazyboy97o

Not to go on a tangent but I find it interesting that movies like Bolt, Lady and the Tramp, Fox and the Hound, Old Yeller, 101 Dalmations, Oliver and Co, The Aristocats.. etc are not featured in the parks. It's like Disney is averse to creating pet-themed attractions. Universal on the other hand would naw it's left paw off for a chance to feature an entire Secret Life of Pets land if given the chance. Why is that? Why is Disney so utterly afraid of making attractions based on cats and dogs. Where's the Homeward Bound attraction?
These stories tend to be very much about their characters, not their settings. That doesn’t usually work well for a themed environment.

brb1006

Lol no worries.

Tarzan’s soundtrack is the absolute greatest of them all, in my opinion. The Lion King’s score is the best, but in terms of written lyrics, Tarzan‘s songs take the cake.

No other soundtrack has come even slightly close, and it’s been 23 years.
If it wasn't for Tarzan, I wouldn't had discovered Phil Collin and Genesis. Heck, I always think of Tarzan when I hear Phil Collin's singing voice.

brb1006

Not to go on a tangent but I find it interesting that movies like Bolt, Lady and the Tramp, Fox and the Hound, Old Yeller, 101 Dalmations, Oliver and Co, The Aristocats.. etc are not featured in the parks. It's like Disney is averse to creating pet-themed attractions. Universal on the other hand would naw it's left paw off for a chance to feature an entire Secret Life of Pets land if given the chance. Why is that? Why is Disney so utterly afraid of making attractions based on cats and dogs. Where's the Homeward Bound attraction?
Tokyo Disneyland's former "Happiness is Here Parade" actually created a float for The Aristocats (and first time the film got proper representation). Meanwhile Disneyland Paris once held a private event themed to The Aristocats (sometime between 2014 or 2015) where cast members performed the Scales and Arpeggios song at one of the indoor section of Main Street (complete with Berlioz playing the piano). Currently waiting for Duchess and Thomas o'Malley to become meetable characters in the future.

Might as well create an Aristocats attraction somewhere at Epcot's France Pavilion (since that film is actually set in France and fits better) since Disney's starting to focus on IPs at that park in recent years.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

Tokyo Disneyland's former "Happiness is Here Parade" actually created a float for The Aristocats (and first time the film got proper representation). Meanwhile Disneyland Paris once held a private event themed to The Aristocats (sometime between 2014 or 2015) where cast members performed the Scales and Arpeggios song at one of the indoor section of Main Street (complete with Berlioz playing the piano). Currently waiting for Duchess and Thomas o'Malley to become meetable characters in the future.

Might as well create an Aristocats attraction somewhere at Epcot's France Pavilion (since that film is actually set in France and fits better) since Disney's starting to focus on IPs at that park in recent years.
The Aristocats are huge there, probably because kawaii more than anything else.

In terms of Tarzan shows, Shanghai had one that was INCREDIBLE and I feel very privileged to have been able to see it live. Regrettably, it has since closed, I believe just before the pandemic hit China. Somewhat cirque-esque with a lot of acrobatics. One of the best pieces of Disney entertainment I have ever seen:

SplashJacket

The Aristocats are huge there, probably because kawaii more than anything else.

In terms of Tarzan shows, Shanghai had one that was INCREDIBLE and I feel very privileged to have been able to see it live. Regrettably, it has since closed, I believe just before the pandemic hit China. Somewhat cirque-esque with a lot of acrobatics. One of the best pieces of Disney entertainment I have ever seen:

I was blown away watching this live as well. Truly a spectacular show. Then we watched the Pirates show... That was interesting!

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

^ I had that thought as well. First Splash Mountain and now this.

Or maybe Snow White is first on the list, as Tony oversaw the 1983 redesign. But he has referred to Enchanted Wish as "phenomenal;" remains to be seen how he'll feel about Bayou Mountain and Family-Drama Treehouse.

No Name

I vividly remember Animal Kingdom having a Tarzan show called "Tarzan Rocks" with live singers that lasted until 2006 (and opened the same year as the movie's release). The show was also 30 minutes long.

This was the most late 90s / early 2000s show ever and I loved it. Skating and Tarzan are a match made in heaven.

I wish I got to see this in person. Obviously it was inferior to Tarzan Rocks but I’m sure it was still incredible.

SuddenStorm

^ I had that thought as well. First Splash Mountain and now this.

Or maybe Snow White is first on the list, as Tony oversaw the 1983 redesign. But he has referred to Enchanted Wish as "phenomenal;" remains to be seen how he'll feel about Bayou Mountain and Family-Drama Treehouse.

Star Tours is the first one I can think of at Disneyland

Ghost93

Why on earth would anyone want OLD YELLER represented in the Disney parks? It's a great movie, but it's extremely depressing. A boy has to shoot his own dog because the dog got rabies. What kind of attraction would THAT lend to!?!

PiratesMansion

Regarding Baxter, his whole freaking European Magic Kingdom has survived remarkably intact despite decades of near disasters. And Indy is still around. And Big Thunder is still around. I'd say no other Imagineer has that track record.
Marc Davis, although parts of his work have been heavily compromised, definitely also qualifies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom