News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

swge

@swge You called it.
The scenes they showed look amazing to me.. and they aren't even the ones I'm most excited to see..
They also added an apple pie scent in the beginning cottage scene which is such a good addition imo..

This looks amazing. Hope they keep the scary witch transformation and dungeon scenes and just shortened the rainy trip through the woods to add the new ending scenes which look spectacular!

Side-note: It seems that they are "plussing" every Fantasyland Dark Ride. Do you think they'll do Pinocchio or Toad next? Whenever that will be due to the current economic state of the world...
This is exactly what happens.. Dungeon does remain but has new additions and animations 😉

waltography

I'm liking what I see so far; love how everything feels new and touched up. Wish the dancing Snow White had a bit of swing to her so it's not just turntable Snow, but oh well. Otherwise, the effects all look really nice and I'm surprised how lush the kiss section looks

I'm not too worried about the nuking of the scary elements; I've long thought the scary forest section was a little too long, and so long as they don't cut the Queen transformation (which I'd be surprised if they did) I'm hopeful that the overall ride feels a little more balanced. No Mermaid here (hopefully).

EDIT: Just saw the reply above mine and now I'm looking forward to this for sure. :)

SuddenStorm

Hahah I can’t disagree with that.

The difference to me is the old exterior looks more like a real place from a different time of course. The new one looks like a fairy tale theme park version of that place. Both version of course Disneyfied.

Yep- older Disneyland paint/architecture was subdued enough to be somewhat believable. Now it's like Disney Princess packaging puked on the building.

There's a balance between fantastical/whimsical and weathered/believable.

I'm just so glad she didn't add stars to it or something like that nonsense with the castle. And the roofs look like they're still real shingles, not plastic.

mickEblu

For me it’s not really about IP v Non IP. It’s that at some point they stopped trying to take us to a different place and time and are trying to take us to Disney Town instead. For me it’s about execution. IP/ Non IP is less important. Maybe it’s unavoidable as the place has been around 65+ years and has become iconic and a cultural institution.

SuddenStorm

Another Kim Irvine mess.

Yeah, honestly I think Disney's really embraced Kim as the 'protector' and face of Disneyland Imagineering after sidelining Tony. But instead of being able to point to an impressive resume of E ticket attractions that define the industry over decades, her resume consists mainly of altering existing attractions/shops- often for the worse, and her lineage.

That's not to say everything she's done is bad- but like Davison, she's well past her prime and her passion far outweighs her talent. Her projects are tired, predictable, and often not marked improvements over what came before.

I'd love to see a Tony Baxter led redo of Club 33, the Castle, Snow White, etc.

Miru

Exactly that’s the stuff you remember. But then again we re talking about the the every kid gets a trophy generation. So God forbid they get a little scared or there’s a little mystery. There is a place for happy, bright and cheery. Maybe they felt that Snow White, being Walts first film deserved to be more than a scary romp through the forest. Considering the constraints they had to deal with I’m not sure I agree. And also considering that this princessification and Star Wars / Marvel takeover is happening all over the resort it just takes away more variety from the park and homogenizes everything.

It’s sad. They don’t look at anything at the parks from a birds eye view anymore. Or seem to do any long term planning
Well, Rise of the Resistance is still scary. Wouldn’t that be satisfying to you?

SuddenStorm

No I wouldn’t put that in the scary/ weird/ macabre category. I’d put it in the Star Wars category.

Not just Star Wars- it's in the 'awful sequel trilogy that divided the fandom and alienated long time fans, not the Mandalorian that somehow united every generation of Star Wars fans' category.

It also didn't do much to please long time Disneyland fans.

Rise will be irrelevant in a decade.

Miru

I’m not saying the IP makes Rise of the Resistance a bad ride. I’m saying it doesn’t feel like a scary/ weird/ macabre ride. It feels like a Star Wars ride on a Star destroyer.
Unlike Incredicoaster, there are threatening elements incorporated into theming as opposed to merely the structure (which the Incredicoaster copied from its rotten predecessor).

Brer Oswald

The scenes they showed look amazing to me.. and they aren't even the ones I'm most excited to see..
They also added an apple pie scent in the beginning cottage scene which is such a good addition imo..

This is exactly what happens.. Dungeon does remain but has new additions and animations 😉
I liked what I saw. The mine looked very nice. I'm also not that attached to the ride to begin with. Snow White is Snow White. The magic of that film comes in many different forms, and it seems to still be present in what they've shown.

I still think the name is stupid. Perhaps it'll grow on me. I understand the desire to change the name, I just don't care for what they settled on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom