News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

britain

Buh-bye skulls. Hello crowns.

1608586273512.png

Zorro

Some of it looks good and decent, but I hate the removal/alteration of the Queen's Dungeon. Walt Disney knew that you always needed a balance of shadows and light to make an effective product and have the eventual triumph of good over evil emotionally and intellectually satisfying. That's why the original 1937 film has weathered the decades so well. It remains to be seen what is happening here, but if this is being turned mostly into a "la de dah de dah, it's a beautiful day in Snow White's enchanted neighborhood," then the Imagineers will have evoked the spirit of Thomas Bowdler.

mickEblu

Some of it looks good and decent, but I hate the removal/alteration of the Queen's Dungeon. Walt Disney knew that you always needed a balance of shadows and light to make an effective product and have the eventual triumph of good over evil emotionally and intellectually satisfying. That's why the original 1937 film has weathered the decades so well. It remains to be seen what is happening here, but if this is being turned mostly into a "la de dah de dah, it's a beautiful day in Snow White's enchanted neighborhood," then the Imagineers will have evoked the spirit of Thomas Bowdler.

Yeah I’m pretty bummed about the queens dungeon. How about just the fact they keep shoehorning things into purpose built structures and spaces? Now we seemingly have Snow Whites bedroom (?) in a space that was designed to be a dungeon.

Last edited:

waltography

Yeah I’m pretty bummed about the queens dungeon. How about just the fact they keep shoehorning things into purpose built structures? Now we seemingly have Snow Whites bedroom (?) in a space that was designed to be a dungeon.
I think the iron bars in the window aren't doing any favors for the dungeon feel, no matter how well-done the interior is (and it's not particularly great); wish they'd replaced it with some wrought iron elements instead or something like stained glass.

mickEblu

My guess would be that if it was a normal day in the park, it would be the same wait as Alice and maybe even Peter

You think that’s where it bottoms out? Nah, I think tops it ends up like a 15 minute wait like Toad. It’s loads faster than Pan. Also, primarily I believe the line was always short was was kids just being indifferent with Snow White and overall being a less appealing attraction that other options around it. I think the scary thing was secondary.

EPCOTCenterLover

I thought about the original C Ticket attraction before and after riding the new 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. I didn't miss the drama of the darker scenes one bit. Admittedly, I may be in the minority on this transformation, but I will have to see it one day for myself.

Brer Panther

I like what I saw in the video. I do think that "Snow White's Enchanted Wish" is a dumb name, though.

If Snow White was deemed to scary I can't imagine what they'll do with Toad where you get hit by a train and end up in hell. Which, again, are two very striking experiences that are beloved and delightfully unique and unexpected.
I've said it before, but I really wouldn't be surprised if they change the ending to Toad or remove it outright. Not so much because it's scary, but because of the whole "mentioning or showing that dark firey place = not appropriate for a kids' park*" thing.
I worry Disneyland is working to make all their attractions 'corporate bland', where these unique elements to Disneyland that work to make the attractions actually interesting will be slowly phased out. I doubt Frog Mountain will have anything as impressionable as the two vultures and Brer Rabbit about to get skinned...
Bob Iger and "corporate bland" go together like ice cream and root beer.

Isn't the lift hill/Burrow's Lament scene supposed to have Dr. Facilier and his "Friends on the Other Side" thrown in? I expect a lot of screens where the animatronic possums and rabbits used to be. But hey, I'm sure it'll still scare children.

* Though doesn't The Simpsons Ride at Universal briefly feature that dark firey place as well? Then again, The Simpsons isn't exactly a kids' property...

TP2000

This just seems like a super refurbishment instead of any major big change.

Cleaned everything up, painted the exterior in Barbie colors, added some Screenz and new lightbulbs. Uh, okay. It's nice I guess, but no huge change or massive upgrade.

I guess it's less scary? And it ends with the kissing scene now, which is pretty daring of them considering that scene has been specifically called out in the #MeToo era as being sexual assault.

But then, Snow White: No Means No! doesn't have the same ring to it as Snow White's Enchanted Wish, I guess.

smooch

I guess I'll write out my thoughts after seeing the video / pictures. First thought: the Tik Tok at the end of their announcement is so corporate Disney and insincere, I know this is a weird point to make but it just feels like those travel channel narrations that someone was paid to narrate and has no real attachment, I would like it to feel more sincere and less corporate Disney but that's a lot to ask for from current Disney. Now as for actual discussion, I think the exterior is a downgrade, I always liked the menacing look it had going, not too scary but the dreary exterior with the skulls and dark colored stones was unique and added a sense of intrigue to the ride. I liked it was a dark exterior with a sense of mystery, and walking in and seeing the dungeon made it feel even more intimidating; now it's a bright colored building with Snow White's bedroom in the beginning, it has a completely different feel now. At least they kept the same structure aside from removing the skulls. For the actual ride, I am hoping this video is overplaying the happy cheery tone now and that the dungeon scene which is still there and apparently has new additions along with the forest scene still actually add some scariness to the ride. I think the dancing scene looks great aside from the Snow White figure just being on a turntable and not doing much but I understand not wanting to / having resources / space for a more complicated figure. I think the mine scene looks great, definitely reusing a lot of tech from 7DMT in WDW, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Definitely an upgrade over the old mine scene which was basically non-existent. I am curious how much was removed to expand the mine scene. I can go either way on the new ending, it is definitely impressive and looks levels above the rest of the scale of the ride, but I wonder again how much was moved around or if what they showed fits in the very short end of the ride.

Overall I am hopeful, it doesn't look to radically different and the effects of what was added definitely look fantastic, but I am overall sad of the loss of the scary aspect that made the ride unique. I will reserve actual judgement til I ride the ride but I remain optimistic. I think overall these changes are good, I wish there was still more scary in the ride, but I will say what we got does look impressive and hopefully does not radically change the feel of the ride, although I worry that is what happened considering they spent all the time and effort to rename the ride and take the scary part out and make the exterior and queue more happy and cheery. I would have preferred just upgrading all the scenes we already had and maybe some minor changes, like a reworking of the end I am okay with, but again I have to wait and see the full ride for my full opinion.

EDIT: I don't think the screens in the ride are a huge deal. Sure it does look sorta strange having a screen of the original animated scenes of the rides among the 3D props and sets, but I am a sucker for classic Disney animation and love seeing it in HD on a big screen like that. Again I have to see it in person to judge it. I don't think it will feel the same as in the Na'vi River Journey in WDW with the animals in the background on the screen as those videos attempt to give the illusion of 3D of something that's actually there but these are flat 3D cartoons not trying to convey that they're real so I believe they will look better in this implementation. Same with GotG:MB where the screens emulate real people but can't provide depth, I think this 2D animation on the screen will really help sell it to look good.

Last edited:

Miru

I like what I saw in the video. I do think that "Snow White's Enchanted Wish" is a dumb name, though.

I've said it before, but I really wouldn't be surprised if they change the ending to Toad or remove it outright. Not so much because it's scary, but because of the whole "mentioning or showing that dark firey place = not appropriate for a kids' park*" thing.

Bob Iger and "corporate bland" go together like ice cream and root beer.

Isn't the lift hill/Burrow's Lament scene supposed to have Dr. Facilier and his "Friends on the Other Side" thrown in? I expect a lot of screens where the animatronic possums and rabbits used to be. But hey, I'm sure it'll still scare children.

* Though doesn't The Simpsons Ride at Universal briefly feature that dark firey place as well? Then again, The Simpsons isn't exactly a kids' property...
Also, Disney have become increasingly ashamed of the package features since the mid to late 90s.
Furthermore, I guess any screens at all invalidate a ride’s quality. This means Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters is better than Star Tours.

mickEblu

I'm a huge fan of the Snow White film and this looks great! I'd love a "With a Smile and a Song" scene with her and the animals after the forest.

The 80s ride was fun but it never was amazing to me. To be honest I'm just thankful that Disney didn't demolish this for some new movie ride to sell toys.

Glad to see them care about Snow White.

I can appreciate this perspective and I also love that song. As I said before, I’d feel a lot better about this had they just left the exterior alone.

Disneyson

In order for this ride to complete, I imagine they might have a scene of Snow biting the Apple, as in other versions of this ride? I think the transformation is safe, TBH, I just think that perhaps the scary forest turns happy halfway through because of that Snow singing to the bird figure that seems to exist. I bet the rock scene is gone, which I think is a bit of a shame.

I think WDW always had the superior version of the attraction. I think that the kiss scene is deeply important (obviously, re:my avatar) but I also think that there must be some Queen in order for there to be catharsis/for the kiss to be earned.

Californian Elitist

I’m so far happy with what I’m seeing, based solely on what is presented in the video. I didn’t particularly enjoy the woman saying they wanted the building to look more happy, but I really love the new Snow White animatronic and everything else.

180º

The line about how “the interaction between Snow White and Dopey is almost cinematic” while the figures are clearly not interacting at all is really funny.
This is true. Disney loves to sell the most rickety stuff hard. 😂 That said, it looks like a lovely addition. The sculpt is beautiful and the simple one-function twirling is a little goofy, but totally appropriate for the style of Fantasyland dark rides, and it livens the scene up.

By the way, anyone else see the dimensional animals in the foreground of the kissing scene? Are those relocated from elsewhere in the ride?

choco choco

I still don't understand the "too-scary" criticism. Kids love being scared. Every kid I've ever met loves to be spooked and is drawn to the macabre. It's kinda human nature, it's why Halloween is universally popular across all ages.

I kinda think whoever's in charge at Disney doesn't understand kids at all. It's why every product they make now - from movies on downward - is so instantly forgettable.

mickEblu

I still don't understand the "too-scary" criticism. Kids love being scared. Every kid I've ever met loves to be spooked and is drawn to the macabre. It's kinda human nature, it's why Halloween is universally popular across all ages.

I kinda think whoever's in charge at Disney doesn't understand kids at all. It's why every product they make now - from movies on downward - is so instantly forgettable.

I agree. Is this for the three and under crowd in which case maybe dumbo or the carrousel may be a better option ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom