Disneyland,Ohio?

darthdarrel

Original Poster
Originally posted by Pixardust
OK - ALERT TO ALL OHIOIANS: We will be taking a field trip to Rock Creek, OH in January to see what the heck Disney is doing up there. Bring your camera, and a Jacket thats rated to -20F. HeHe.. JK
HEHE! And don`t forget your long johns 3 pairs of socks and hat and gloves!:lol:

aim

Originally posted by Pixardust
OK - ALERT TO ALL OHIOIANS: We will be taking a field trip to Rock Creek, OH in January to see what the heck Disney is doing up there. Bring your camera, and a Jacket thats rated to -20F. HeHe.. JK

:lol: :lol:

I'm up for the trip!!! :D That would be totally kool if there was something Disney is going to build there. I would really love it!

Cliff

I heard the new land in Ohio is intended for a massive "monorail" attraction.

The plans I saw show the land paved as a big parking lot,...you get out of your car,...you take the tram to the Monorail loading center and you ride the monorail around and over the parking lot all day.

CT : - )

TiggersPooh

ok we all know that they wouldnt build a new park...just look out your window (ok look out my window) I live in Northeast Ohio. So far today we had a few inches of snow. I dont see a family saying on a day like this "its cold lets go to Disneyland OHIO" LOL thats just a bit much!!!!

I would still love it though!!!
How much land did they buy?

darthdarrel

Original Poster
Originally posted by TiggersPooh
ok we all know that they wouldnt build a new park...just look out your window (ok look out my window) I live in Northeast Ohio. So far today we had a few inches of snow. I dont see a family saying on a day like this "its cold lets go to Disneyland OHIO" LOL thats just a bit much!!!!

I would still love it though!!!
How much land did they buy?
I don`t know how much land they bought,but from what I heard it`s about the size of 2 Disneylands. Like I have said I don`t know what they are going to do with the land,just know they bought it. As far as the snow is concerned,Like I said in my previous post if it was A Disneyland,it would obviously be seasonal but it wouldn`t be the only Seasonal Disneyland.

wahooskipper

I wouldn't be surpirsed if they expanded the Disney Timeshares into other areas of the country and maybe that is what the land is intended for. I would be very surprised if it was for a theme park of any kind.

Of course, St. Louis was a finalist for the Walt Disney World project and Walt was turned off on that city after the Senior Busch of the time (was it Aldous?) said they didn't need a Disney in their town.

Lissydog

Disney in Ohio

Ok, first let me say that they could build a Disney park in Ohio, but it will never happen, because that would be too perfect for me, and things that great just don't happen. lol

However, in my fantasy, here is how I see it. If Disney were to build a park, it would have to be a departure from DL or WDW - more thrill ride based, yet keeping with the Disney tradition of storylines.

It would be seasonal. As mentioned, Six Flags (who by the way is NOT doing gangbusters) and Cedar Point (has consistent attendance yearly) both are open summer months only, with extended weekends through Halloween. Cedar Point draws 3.3 million guests each year, while, when it was SeaWorld and Geauga Lake, each added 1.3 and 1.2 million respectively. (I worked in Marketing at SW before it was sold, so I have a pretty good grasp of the attendance of each park). I would estimate, depending on size, that a Disney park in Ohio could expect to draw at least 5 million a season. Additionally, shopping centers like Downtown Disney and themed hotels would create an extended weekend destination resort. Cedar Point has successfully implemented this philosophy with their park.

Again, why Ohio? Got this question a lot working at SW. NE Ohio is within an average of 500 miles (a days drive) to 2/3 of the entire US population. If it is so accessable to so many people, will they still go to WDW/DL? YES! IMO, a park in Ohio would not replace a WDW/Florida vacation. The average WDW family saves for app. 3 years to vacation in WDW. A destination in Ohio would serve as a summer get away...not as their major vacation option. I don't beleive people would replace one experience with the other.

With all this said, I think it would be too good to be true, but here's to dreaming...

darthdarrel

Original Poster
Re: Disney in Ohio

Originally posted by Lissydog
Ok, first let me say that they could build a Disney park in Ohio, but it will never happen, because that would be too perfect for me, and things that great just don't happen. lol

However, in my fantasy, here is how I see it. If Disney were to build a park, it would have to be a departure from DL or WDW - more thrill ride based, yet keeping with the Disney tradition of storylines.

It would be seasonal. As mentioned, Six Flags (who by the way is NOT doing gangbusters) and Cedar Point (has consistent attendance yearly) both are open summer months only, with extended weekends through Halloween. Cedar Point draws 3.3 million guests each year, while, when it was SeaWorld and Geauga Lake, each added 1.3 and 1.2 million respectively. (I worked in Marketing at SW before it was sold, so I have a pretty good grasp of the attendance of each park). I would estimate, depending on size, that a Disney park in Ohio could expect to draw at least 5 million a season. Additionally, shopping centers like Downtown Disney and themed hotels would create an extended weekend destination resort. Cedar Point has successfully implemented this philosophy with their park.

Again, why Ohio? Got this question a lot working at SW. NE Ohio is within an average of 500 miles (a days drive) to 2/3 of the entire US population. If it is so accessable to so many people, will they still go to WDW/DL? YES! IMO, a park in Ohio would not replace a WDW/Florida vacation. The average WDW family saves for app. 3 years to vacation in WDW. A destination in Ohio would serve as a summer get away...not as their major vacation option. I don't beleive people would replace one experience with the other.

With all this said, I think it would be too good to be true, but here's to dreaming...
HI Lizzydog! Nice to see another fellow Ohion!:D :wave:

Lissydog

Darthdarrel -

Thanks! I see from your profile that you will be visiting WDW this month...I am heading down next Friday. Driving, so we actually aren't checking in until the 15th, staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas.

See, us Ohioans make the 1000 mile trip to Florida, and would gladly purchase season passes to a park in Ohio. We want them both! lol

darthdarrel

Original Poster
Originally posted by Lissydog
Darthdarrel -

Thanks! I see from your profile that you will be visiting WDW this month...I am heading down next Friday. Driving, so we actually aren't checking in until the 15th, staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas.

See, us Ohioans make the 1000 mile trip to Florida, and would gladly purchase season passes to a park in Ohio. We want them both! lol
:lol: :D ;)

wahooskipper

Lissy,

Did you live in Newton Falls when it was hit by the tornado back in the late 80's? I drove through the town just hours before it hit. Dated a girl from there once.

Anyway, I like your thoughts on a Disney, Ohio but I would be really surprised if it ever happened. When did you work at Sea World Marketing?

I worked at Geauga Lake from 88-92.

DAKTOLCMM

Yeah

So has anyone here read any books before? Like books about Walt and the founding of the Disney Corporation? Well, I am reading a couple right now. When Walt looked at building WDW he looked all across the country and decided that FL would be best for many reasons.

DAKTOLCMM

okay i will say another thing...if they were going to build anything of monumental proportions (ie a park/resort) they would not buy land that is only as bg as 2 DLs. WDW is about 30000 acres of swampland...you wanna talk about them building something, let me know when they buy 50 square miles of land. Don't get me wrong, Ohio is only like 12 hours away from me, so that would be cool. that would be a nice weekend trip....plus i could then use my discount! whohooo!

Lissydog

Darthdarrel -

I lived just a few miles from where the tornado orginated in '85. I lived about 5 miles from Newton Falls at the time.

I worked in marketing from 1998-2000, and left when all signs pointed to a buy-out. Too bad - SeaWorld was a great park and IMO Six Flags has ruined it.

historymystery

Account Suspended
Okay in your mind think of a map of earth. Now in red label out the population. In that other post I told you nation wide what would most likely be the next park if any. Now I am going global.

The top ten places most likely to place a park:

10. London, probably not
9. New York
8. Missouri, hey its in between not to mention Walt's home!
7. Michigan, probably not
6. Washington D.C.
5. China (Which I think is confirmed right?)
4. Sydney
3. Ottawa, maybe
2. another area to Disneyland or WDW
1. There won't be one, I am guessing this one at least for now.

So Ohio is probably out.

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Another Ohioian here and I'm sorry about the thread drift, but I totally agree with you about Sea World going down the tubes since Six Flags bought it. We got season passes this year because my son loves it but I hated every minute. It's the dirtiest amusement park I've ever been in. They have a season passholder's lounge (it's a joke) and the outside seating area was so filled with trash (gross trash if you get my drift) that we couldn't even sit out there. I will NEVER renew that pass no matter how much my son loves Sea World. They also will not let you wear water shoes down the slides at the water park and my girlfriend got planter's warts from there so badly that she had to have minor surgery on them! It's a HUGE mess over there. Not to mention that we went during the middle of summer and 5 attractions were completely closed the whole day.

Guess I'm just spoiled by Disney!

I wonder if there is any way possible to find out what they are going to do with the land there? What a wonderful thing if they were to build some sort of park/attraction there. 2 hours from my house! wooo hoo!

Christina

meanmice

I remember when Disney was first getting worried that there wouldn't be a park in Virginia they came to CT and looked at some very promising sites. The problem was, the towns voted it down as soon as they got wind of it. This is always the case, everyone wants it, but the town that it's going into.

darthdarrel

Original Poster
Originally posted by meanmice
I remember when Disney was first getting worried that there wouldn't be a park in Virginia they came to CT and looked at some very promising sites. The problem was, the towns voted it down as soon as they got wind of it. This is always the case, everyone wants it, but the town that it's going into.
Well the reason Virginia voted it down was because they wanted to build a civil war themed park on a site where one of the battles were fought and that made civil war buffs upset,cause that land ,to them, is scared. many people fought and died there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom