Disneyland,Ohio?

DisneyWorldGuru

I would love a DisneyLand in Ohio. It would only be a few hours away but Disney wont build one there for many reasons here are a few:

1.) too cold in the winter
2.) not enough money to start a new theme park
3.) would draw crouds away from DL and WDW
4.) too man other parks in that area
5.) never gonna' happen
6.) not even the fairy godmother could make it happen

Also, to clear a few things up. Disney would not build another Celebration. Disney lost tons of land and money with Celebration. There are even rumors of Disney selling off the Celebration Company. By the way, Celebration is a great town and if anyone says bad stuff about it I will have to push you off the top of Space Mountain. LOL. I love Celebration but another one will never happer (at least anytime soon)

Disney also will not be building more Disney Quest's. All Disney Quest locations except WDW and DL have closed because they were not making enough money. DQ in WDW makes over 1 million dollars pure profit a night and the other locations were not performing as well. I was mad when they did not build one in Philadelphia.

This land is prob. going to be used for office space or for a divisison of the Walt Disney Company. Heck it might even be the site for filming a new movie or TV show. If it is a Disneyland I would be happy but dont get your hopes up.

darthdarrel

Original Poster
LOL! I didn`t say they were going to build a disneyland there,that`s just the rumor I heard. I do want to know what they are going to do with the land though.A Celebration type community does sound feasible.

epcot71

Originally posted by Main Street USA
Disney also recenlty bought land in Central/southern Missouri. Doesn't mean anything I'm afraid.

hey my wife is from st louis too-just abit of trivia- you know whose face yours is over in that press conference on your avatar?

goofyfan13

I think something on the lines of like a disney shopping district becuase DD is the only place I actually like to shop at. Things like Disney Quest, The World of Disney, stuff like that. Oh and MKingdom25 I heard that Disney does own the Muppets now. Since Jim Henson died I heard that the family sold the rights to Disney.

markc

Few problems with your logic here...

Originally posted by DisneyWorldGuru

1.) too cold in the winter

They wouldn't have to operate in the winter if they didn't want to. Cedar Point, Six Flags, and Kings Island all operate in the summer only, and make more than enough profit to continually update their parks and add new rides. Also, it gets as cold in Tokyo Disneyland AND Disneyland Paris during the winter time as it does in Ohio, and yet TDL still operates.

2.) not enough money to start a new theme park

Disney DOES have enough money to start up a new theme park if they wanted to. That's never been a problem.

3.) would draw crouds away from DL and WDW

It wouldn't draw crowds away from DL...midwesterners make up a very small part of DL's crowd, and it would only draw a small amount of people away from WDW during the summer months only. But being that most people go to Orlando and Florida for more than just WDW, it really wouldn't hurt them that much.

4.) too man other parks in that area (that is why Disney's America was not built)

Disney's America wasn't built due to pressure from many people opposed to the idea of it being built near a national battlefield.
And Trust me, there are not too many parks. If that were the case, Six Flags would've never bothered to purchase SeaWorld/Geauga Lake. None of the 3 theme parks are doing poorly in Ohio.. in fact they are all seeing record attendance, so I really doubt that the market here is flooded right now.

MKingdom25

Originally posted by markc
Few problems with your logic here...

They wouldn't have to operate in the winter if they didn't want to. Cedar Point, Six Flags, and Kings Island all operate in the summer only, and make more than enough profit to continually update their parks and add new rides. Also, it gets as cold in Tokyo Disneyland AND Disneyland Paris during the winter time as it does in Ohio, and yet TDL still operates.

In this scenario, I doubt Disney would do a seasonal park. Although some park can get my just fine that way, I think it would a radical change for Disney. Plus I think if Disney did open a new park, there would plenty of business to keep it open year-round.

Pioneer Hall

I don't see a theme park area opening in Ohio. The land could be used for anything for any part of their vast corporation (ABC, ESPN, Disney...etc.). So don't expect to see anything coming out of this, well at least anything that us regular people will get to enjoy.

MKingdom25

Maybe they could build a big fully functional movee studio on the land. They could have public tours and make it kinda like the Backlot Walking Tour.

DisneyWorldGuru

That would be really fun. I wish that WDW would acutally show you the taping of a TV show. I remember one time sitting in the audience of a taping of Walt Disney WOrld Inside Out. Disney does not do that anymore, but a studio in Ohio where you could take tours would be fun.

Scar Junior

this is what i would like to see....

they wouldn't make it a resort but just one park and maybe a hotel or something. Then, since there is a good amount of land - they should be doing the WDW thing with blocking the area to other places who want to make money off them.

i think it would be cool to see a park like TDS. Not a disneyland. They would have a themepark that has several thrill rides (to compete in the area), good technology rides (Dinosaur/Test Track/Spiderman stuff). and a pretty decent sized kid area. They wouldn't have any copies of rides only similar ones (soarin type ride but not a copy of it. maybe a "teacups" type ride but in the dark with black lights and a different theme, etc.). I would like 2 3D shows in this park and 2 water rides (for when it gets hot). I think it should be about 1/2 full when it built and and one ride per year for many years.

The theme would be tough. I'm not sure what i would want but a villian theme would work the best.

That would be an ideal park for me.

darthdarrel

Original Poster
Umm Disney GURU you are WRONG!
Disney did not build THe park in Virgia because of weather, but because there was a PUBLIC OUTCRY against it! People didn`t want them desicrating a national monument.That is why it never got built,it had absolutletly nothing to do with the weather!I even remember the public demonstrations and pickets on the national news.Disney just didn`t want negative publicity.And Disney have no qualms about building Seasonal parks,just take a look at Disneyland Paris,Disneyland Tokyo and Disneyland china! All 3 are seasonal parks are they not,if not they are open even in the snow,cause there winters are as bad if not worse then Ohios!I will agree with one thing,I really don`t think that they will build a Disneyland,although I think it would be a great idea and it`s not as absurd as you may think it is. cause eventhough I would go to that more often,I would still go to florida cause it`s much more then a DisneyLAnd!IT`s DISNEYWORLD!:D

wyattkelly

Disneyland, OHIO???
Oy, what people are smokin' these days.
I remember a few years back, 1994-95, I think some local yahoo decided that the area about where I live would just be *perfect* for Disney to build a park at. Good location in Ohio, close to major attractions, lots of potential attendees. He even thought they could cover the entire park with a *DOME* so it'd be nice and toasty in the cold, cold, Did I mention COLD Northwest Ohio nights. This was front page news around here. Seriously. Even the mayor of Toledo commented on it. So this yahoo took his shining idea to Disney, and they just sort of blinked at him.

Trust me, between Paramount's King's Island, Cedar Point, and Six Flags, there's enough here already. :hammer:

DisneyWorldGuru

Originally posted by darthdarrel
...you are WRONG!
Disney did not build THe park in Virgia because of weather, but because there was a PUBLIC OUTCRY against it! People didn`t want them desicrating a national monument.That is why it never got built,it had absolutletly nothing to do with the weather!...

Sorry, just telling you what I heard. I was wrong. As I said I would not mind a park in Ohio.

wyattkelly said it best "Oy, what people are smokin' these days".
:lol:

kaos

about 15 years back, disney looked into a lot of land on the west side of Chicago to build the first of many mid-western "Main Street, U.S.A." Shopping districts. These would operate all year long, have free admission, and would basically be a replica of Main Street USA from Dl and WDW, complete with their own MSEP and holiday festivities. This idea was developed to the point that the mayor of Chicago held a press conference on it, and it was the focal point of the revitalization of the West Side of Chicago. Well, Disney changed the plans, and instead of the Main Street shopping districts in the bigger mid-western cities (planned for St. Louis and Omaha, of all places) we got the Disney Stores instead. Disney has always wanted some sort of mid-western presence, and they even sponsored numerous parades in Chicago, including this past years Thanksgiving Parade, complete with snow globes and Mickey Mouse and Princesses. That is why Chicago was the first city to receive a DQ. A themed park of some sort would not surprise me, and with the increased amount of tourists into the Sandusky area, a coaster park disney style would be a realistic thought. I don't see it detracting from WDW or DL for a few reasons, the largest is it is a weekend drive from Detroit or Chicago. It's about 6 hours, and well, SF Great America in Gurnee is about 2 hours from the southern burbs of Chicago. For those of us that do drive down to Florida (well, since I moved, I don't), it's a nice place to stop for a day or two while you drive to WDW. A lot of mid-western families like to drive on vacations, and usually take 10-14 day family vacatiosn complete with smelly feet, so a part on the route to WDW would be a nice big plus.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. A mid-western presence for Disney has never been a secret. This all makes sense to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom