Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

ToTBellHop

There’s a difference between a cop pulling someone over for no reason, particular a person of color, and asking for I.D. versus Disneyland CMs asking guests to provide California I.D. at the gates to make sure they and guests are complying with state law.
It’s not state law, it is guidelines, and as written, the guidelines are met with the attestation signed, which is why everywhere with rides is including a check-box during the purchase process. Whether Disney goes beyond that is their choice, but it is not required and others are not doing so. Meanwhile, Universal has been allowing people at their food event go on rides. You don’t need to be in-state to go to the food event. Gasp.

Californian Elitist

It’s not state law, it is guidelines, and as written, the guidelines are met with the attestation signed. Whether Disney goes beyond that is their choice, but it is not required and others are not doing so.
Guidelines, state laws. Disney is attempting to comply either way because they have to. Still not the same thing as a situation Captn EO was referring to.

ToTBellHop

Guidelines, state laws. Disney is attempting to comply either way. Still not the same thing as a situation Captn EO was referring to.
Of course not. They wouldn’t be accused of racism by a rational person. But there would still be tricky situations to deal with that they’d rather avoid. College students and people who recently moved come to mind. In practice, the threat that proof of residency “may” be required would keep most people from traveling. Not worth the risk. Not when the tourism office is suggesting to just wait 7 weeks.

Californian Elitist

Of course not. They wouldn’t be accused of racism by a rational person. But there would still be tricky situations to deal with that they’d rather avoid. College students and people who recently moved come to mind. In practice, the threat that proof of residency “may” be required would keep most people from traveling. Not worth the risk. Not when the tourism office is suggesting to just wait 7 weeks.
If people live in California, they should be able to prove that, including people who’ve only been here a few months.

We don’t know what Disney considers not being worth a risk or not. I wouldn’t be surprised if they ask for proof, but we’ll see.

ToTBellHop

If people live in California, they should be able to prove that, including people who’ve only been here a few months.

We don’t know what Disney considers not being worth a risk or not. I wouldn’t be surprised if they ask for proof, but we’ll see.
Indeed. Bring an In-n-Out burger receipt and you’re in.

el_super

How is this any different from any other circumstance where Disney has asked for ID? They've offered Southern California discounts and resident passes for years, and have asked for proof of residency. They've required Identification for picking up tickets at Will Call for years. They've asked for confirmation of identity for named tickets and passes for years (if not decades).

Seems if they already have a system in place, they've already figured out how to work around tricky situations.

ToTBellHop

How is this any different from any other circumstance where Disney has asked for ID? They've offered Southern California discounts and resident passes for years, and have asked for proof of residency. They've required Identification for picking up tickets at Will Call for years. They've asked for confirmation of identity for named tickets and passes for years (if not decades).

Seems if they already have a system in place, they've already figured out how to work around tricky situations.
I dare say the volume of people was much lower than *literally everyone coming* and that groups weren’t expected to stay 6 feet apart while someone examines your electric bill. They are pushing online purchases and ticketing to speed the process up and avoid crowding. “Hand me that document so I can touch it and possibly pick up Covid and give it to the next guest“ goes against that. McDonalds won’t even take my credit card at the drive-thru anymore.

Californian Elitist

My thoughts exactly. I’ve had to provide proof of residency at the DLR multiple times.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
You can only reserve if you already have tickets? Can you get tickets?
For funsies I just now tried to make a reservation without a ticket (the wait was 10 seconds) and I got to a point where it said I don't have a linked ticket and asked if I wanted to link a ticket (or tickets) and the continue button was greyed out until I linked ticket(s).

A 10-second wait and no days are fully booked full yet. I really was expecting more people to have had tickets already that were purchased just before the shutdown. Disney did say that they were going to not allow the current ticket holders to completely fill up any days to allow the new ticket purchasers to have a chance (especially for April 30th and June 4th). Not sure if the reservation calendar accounts for that or not.

CaptinEO

There’s a difference between a cop pulling someone over for no reason, particular a person of color, and asking for I.D. versus Disneyland CMs asking guests to provide California I.D. at the gates to make sure they and guests are complying with state law.
I understand this, but doing so would still
exclude unregistered citizens.

the_rich

I went on the site and with tickets that I had purchased last year was able to get all the way to point of booking my reservations. I didn't actually book because I'm planning on August since I'm from NY and I don't want to take any chances. But its a little surprising that they would even let me get to that point.

Californian Elitist

You do realize that "unregistered" citizens in California can apply for a Drivers License with proof of residency right?
Folks are thinking too hard about this. Folks looking to go now should be prepared to prove they are California residents in case Disney asks for proof. Anyone who legitimately lives here should be able to do that. If Disney asks for I.D., it’s not going to be some social distance nightmare where they’ll constantly be thinking about staying six feet away from guests (realistically speaking, staying six feet away at Disneyland at all times is obviously impossible and we all know this, CMs included). If they choose not to ask for proof, that’s their prerogative. If non-resident wants to test the system, they’re welcome to.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I went on the site and with tickets that I had purchased last year was able to get all the way to point of booking my reservations. I didn't actually book because I'm planning on August since I'm from NY and I don't want to take any chances. But its a little surprising that they would even let me get to that point.
Because they didn't read your mind and know you wanted to go in August instead of May or June? Why would they not let you get to the point of booking a reservation if you have valid tickets linked? I'm confused.

the_rich

Because they didn't read your mind and know you wanted to go in August instead of May or June? Why would they not let you get to the point of booking a reservation if you have valid tickets linked? I'm confused.
Because I don't live in California. My tickets are linked to a ny address. So I assumed they wouldn't let me book while the parks are limited to California residents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom