Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Before my time Tomorrowland was quite the hangout spot.

I mean you had the Tomorrowland Terrace with live bands.

View attachment 560029

The Starcade with two levels-

View attachment 560030

Not to mention everything else in the land. It's sad to see the space so underutilized. But also, after the ridiculousness of this last year with the loss of Splash and the continued decline of various details around the park it's obvious Disney doesn't care about the place like they did in the past.
When I was on my trip summer of 2017 (toward the end of July I believe), I vividly remember a live band playing at the Tomorrowland Terrace one evening and sitting and listening to them as I destroyed my mouth with Buffalo chicken tenders (or nuggets, can't remember). So at least as of 2017 they were doing live bands. Not sure if that was a unique thing, a summer thing, or even something they still did up until the shutdown.

My last memory of the Starcade was a trip with my family in 2005 during the 50th and my little sister and niece playing Dance Dance Revolution. I do remember the place being pretty barren. Arcades were great in the 80's and 90's, but I can understand the reasoning of Disney removing the Starcade. One....I can play video games at arcade caliber at home, and two....as the parks have gotten busier over the years, I personally would rather do things I can only do at Disneyland than things I can do at home. I do wish they could have figured out a better use of the space over the years though.

I do lament the lack of kinetic energy in the land. Something current imagineers just don't undestand.

Stevek

You know, I’m usually a purist too but those fluffernutter churros are better than the plain (cinnamon sugar) churros.

I haven’t had the Ralph Brennan’s regular beignets in so long that I’m not qualified to answer.
Confession...I don't think the Disneyland churros are anything to write home about. I'll take the Costco churro over theirs but literally the best churro I've ever had is from Churro's Pier Bakery on the Redondo Beach Pier. First churro I ever had as a wee lad and still the best.

mickEblu

Confession...I don't think the Disneyland churros are anything to write home about. I'll take the Costco churro over theirs but literally the best churro I've ever had is from Churro's Pier Bakery on the Redondo Beach Pier. First churro I ever had as a wee lad and still the best.

I honestly don’t remember the last time I had a non Disneyland churro. They aren’t something I really crave. I don’t even eat the regular ones at Disneyland very often. These fluffernutter ones though - I’ll go out of way for them and gladly eat them every time I’m at the park.

EDIT: nevermind. There’s a place in Sherman Oaks that’s serves these piping hot crunchy churros stuffed with chocolate that are delicious. I think Disneyland’s are perfectly fine though - if you happen to get a crunchy hot one.

Parteecia

The best churro I ever had was when my friends and I were leaving the HM near closing. A CM from the cart there popped up in front of us and offered us free churros. They were delicious.

AJFireman

So I had to cancel my day for the today last night and been refreshing the site since then because everything was full . Just checked for park hoppers every day is available now until June 15th except the 3rd. Looks like another adjustment has been made

CaptinEO

Just to play devils advocate for a sec. Do we contribute to the mystique being diminished because we go so often or is this all Disney’s doing?
I mean I hadn't been in over a year. Had a great time, but realized it's not something I need to keep doing as often.

I can't pinpoint why the mystique went away. Maybe I just know too much about how things operate.

CaptinEO

When I was on my trip summer of 2017 (toward the end of July I believe), I vividly remember a live band playing at the Tomorrowland Terrace one evening and sitting and listening to them as I destroyed my mouth with Buffalo chicken tenders (or nuggets, can't remember). So at least as of 2017 they were doing live bands. Not sure if that was a unique thing, a summer thing, or even something they still did up until the shutdown.

My last memory of the Starcade was a trip with my family in 2005 during the 50th and my little sister and niece playing Dance Dance Revolution. I do remember the place being pretty barren. Arcades were great in the 80's and 90's, but I can understand the reasoning of Disney removing the Starcade. One....I can play video games at arcade caliber at home, and two....as the parks have gotten busier over the years, I personally would rather do things I can only do at Disneyland than things I can do at home. I do wish they could have figured out a better use of the space over the years though.

I do lament the lack of kinetic energy in the land. Something current imagineers just don't undestand.
I definitely remember 80s cover bands being there in 2015.

mickEblu

I mean I hadn't been in over a year. Had a great time, but realized it's not something I need to keep doing as often.

I can't pinpoint why the mystique went away. Maybe I just know too much about how things operate.

Got ya. The mystique started fading a little bit for me well before the pandemic as there were already plenty of crappy changes happening AND I was going every 2-3 weeks. That’s why I was questioning if going too often can also contribute to that. Right now I would give 70% of the blame pie to Disney and 30 % to me.

SuddenStorm

I remember them as well- though by 2019 they had gone away in favor of a DJ and a Disney character dance party. Definitely a different feel then a live cover band.

CaptinEO

Got ya. The mystique started fading a little bit for me well before the pandemic as there were already plenty of crappy changes happening AND I was going every 2-3 weeks. That’s why I was questioning if going too often can also contribute to that. Right now I would give 70% of the blame pie to Disney and 30 % to me.
I think the underdelivery of Star Wars Land after years of hype as well as all the other downgrades made to the park around that time really were huge downers.

I did really still miss Disneyland during the shutdown and was optimistic for its future. The Splash announcement deeply saddened me.

Pandora was probably the peak of Imagineering before the decline.

CaptinEO

The fact that the same company who made Cars Land and Pandora also made the disappointments of Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge is so weird to me.

Pixar Pier is the worst thing Imagineering has ever done as far as I am concerned.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I definitely remember 80s cover bands being there in 2015.
Yes! I meant to mention that the band I saw was an 80's cover band.

I remember them as well- though by 2019 they had gone away in favor of a DJ and a Disney character dance party. Definitely a different feel then a live cover band.
I actually have a video on my Instagram of the character dance party on my trip Nov. 2019. Here's a still from it:

1621985707330.png

I definitley prefer the live band, but I guess this is more fun for the kids than 80's music lol.

DrAlice

Ok, I have some questions about the Falcon ride (Target Run!):

Are they loading only one party per ship?
If they are only loading one party, can people in said party take any of the 6 positions?
Anyone with simulator ride sickness issues have ok luck with the pilot position?

I'm asking because under normal circumstances with the three of us, my daughter would want the pilot position (of course!) and I know I couldn't handle one of the other positions without getting motion sick. However, I might be ok if I can pilot. If it's just the three of us in the ship, and my daughter and I could BOTH be pilots, then I'll check it out. Otherwise, I'll be shopping while those two crash the thing without me. :D

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

If they are only loading one party, can people in said party take any of the 6 positions?
Anyone with simulator ride sickness issues have ok luck with the pilot position?

I'm asking because under normal circumstances with the three of us, my daughter would want the pilot position (of course!) and I know I couldn't handle one of the other positions without getting motion sick. However, I might be ok if I can pilot. If it's just the three of us in the ship, and my daughter and I could BOTH be pilots, then I'll check it out. Otherwise, I'll be shopping while those two crash the thing without me. :D
I had asked this question before since I'm a party of one and was curious if I'd be by myself, and someone replied that they are currently only taking a single party of guests per ship. I don't have first-hand experience, that's just what I was told at the time. If that's the case, you should be fine and have the ship to yourselves.

How bad is your motion sickness tendencies? How do you do on Star Tours? I have a slight tendency toward motion sickness but I've never felt sick on this ride. It might be because you are always looking forward for the most part and always have something to do to keep your mind off of the motion, especially if you are in a pilot position.

Curious Constance

I’m so excited to see you planning for your trip!

waltography

Yes, they're only loading one party per ship; can confirm as of this Sunday. I'm assuming you can take any of the 6 as the ride will just make the remaining positions go on autopilot. Can't answer the motion sickness question, though my sibling gets headaches from rides that jostle too much and they do just fine on MFSR.

mickEblu

The fact that the same company who made Cars Land and Pandora also made the disappointments of Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge is so weird to me.

Pixar Pier is the worst thing Imagineering has ever done as far as I am concerned.

IMO Pixar Pier is just a terrible idea and a waste of money. I’m not sure what they could have done to make it a success without blowing Paradise Pier up and even then it would be tough. In execution the only things that I feel are egregious are jack jack on sticks and Poultry Palace. Everything else is either ok or an improvement from what was there. Aesthetically the Incredicoaster entrance and loading area are much more pleasing than before as well as the boardwalk promenade area. The land marquee with the popcorn lights is also an improvement. I think it used to just be some cheap looking lattice before. Not a huge fan of the red “straw” scream tunnels but I’m starting to get used to them. What the land really needs is a Coco dark ride.

mickEblu

As of Saturday they were one party per cockpit. You can pick any positions you want and the Empty seats will be placed on autopilot. My sister has motion sickness and I believe she was ok last year when she piloted the ship. Isn’t motion sickness worse when you are NOT controlling the vehicle you are in?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom