Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

SuddenStorm

Tomorrowland is just a shell of its former self right now. Which is sad because it was already a shell of its former self. That part of the park really suffers without the 1959 gang up and running. No Bobsleds, Subs, or monorails moving. In addition not one eatery in TL is open.

I didn't realize it was that bad right now! So it's just Star Tours, Buzz, and Space Mountain?

And Star Tours isn't even the good version and Buzz, while fun, isn't a ride anyone plans a trip for.

mickEblu

I regret not going on Autopia. It average a 5 minute wait time. Autopia is one ride that is not effected by 35% capacity as ride vehicles were always limited to one party anyway

SuddenStorm

Not even Buzz. Just Star Tours, Space Mountain, Star Trader, Autopia and a popcorn cart.

Before my time Tomorrowland was quite the hangout spot.

I mean you had the Tomorrowland Terrace with live bands.

1621972595047.png

The Starcade with two levels-

1621972632647.png

Not to mention everything else in the land. It's sad to see the space so underutilized. But also, after the ridiculousness of this last year with the loss of Splash and the continued decline of various details around the park it's obvious Disney doesn't care about the place like they did in the past.

Mac Tonight

Ha! In Fall of 2019 I had a few mornings where I rode basically nonstop for a couple hours. It's a great ride, just needs a thorough refurbishment. There's some wild inconsistency between the guns.
Ain't that the truth! The guns, vehicles, and targets all need a sprucing up, but I'll be damned if there isn't a better feeling than getting #1 overall for the day!

mickEblu

Before my time Tomorrowland was quite the hangout spot.

I mean you had the Tomorrowland Terrace with live bands.

View attachment 560029

The Starcade with two levels-

View attachment 560030

Not to mention everything else in the land. It's sad to see the space so underutilized. But also, after the ridiculousness of this last year with the loss of Splash and the continued decline of various details around the park it's obvious Disney doesn't care about the place like they did in the past.

I agree. I don’t know if it’s the continuous bad news or downgrades like the blue dumbo wall or Frontierland gate but DL is slowly losing some of its mystique. Don’t get me wrong, we still had a great time. After two days however, I began to question if I “need” an annual pass or if I would even buy whatever membership program they offer later this year. Maybe the pandemic kind of recalibrated me but I think I’m ok with visiting one to two times a year and making one of the visits a little trip. Of course I say that now. It could change in 2-3 weeks when I’m bored.

DavidDL

Buzz is one of my faves. A shooter dark ride that isn't entirely screen based, with a fast loading omni-mover system and a free photo to send home with your score, to boot! Highly repeatable, as well.

But yes, it's in dire need of a spruce up. Being a high touch point attraction means it gets mucked up over time. I wanna see it get some love.

SuddenStorm

I agree. I don’t know if it’s the continuous bad news or downgrades like the blue dumbo wall or Frontierland gate but DL is slowly losing some of its mystique. Don’t get me wrong, we still had a great time. After two days however, I began to question if I “need” annual pass or if I would even buy whatever membership program they offer later this year. Maybe the pandemic kind of recalibrated me but I think I’m ok with visiting one to two times a year and making one of the visits a little trip. Of course I say that now. It could change in 2-3 weeks when I’m bored.

I completely agree about the mystique. It's hard for me to verbalize, but the way I view the park has changed significantly over the last year.

I'm excited to visit, and I'm curious to see if it 'clicks' when I go back. It just feels different now.

mickEblu

I completely agree about the mystique. It's hard for me to verbalize, but the way I view the park has changed significantly over the last year.

I'm excited to visit, and I'm curious to see if it 'clicks' when I go back. It just feels different now.

It’ll definitely feel good to be back. I just think it’ll be hard to make that determination in these circumstances. We’ll probably have to wait until later this year to make this call. Or after Splash is gone.

Mac Tonight

It’ll definitely feel good to be back. I just think it’ll be hard to make that determination in these circumstances. We’ll probably have to wait until later this year to make this call. Or after Splash is gone.
I'm kind of in a similar boat, and I think it's only right to go in with slightly reduced expectations. I already know I won't be able to go on everything I love... and with the mask mandate likely still in place for our trip, it will surely be an outlier in terms of overall experience. I almost don't think it would be fair to judge my affinity for the place based on such a "weird" visit.

SuddenStorm

Is it even worth paying to go if Splash isn't there? In the last 5 years Disney has gotten rid of the two things that fueled my desire to go- Splash Mountain and Fantasmic.

Indiana Jones is another favorite but it's in horrible shape. Various iconic details around the park are being lessened or outright removed. Attraction scenes that go back to Walt Disney are now described as 'negative' by modern WDI. Haunted Mansion is mostly pure, but by every rumor it's about to get the Modern WDI treatment with the removal of the stretching room corpse.

CaptinEO

I agree with this as well (the mystique).

We had a great time going the last 2 Saturdays but my days of monthly park visits are over. Annual visits would be perfect.

I don't have the time or energy for it anymore.

mickEblu

I agree with this as well (the mystique).

We had a great time going the last 2 Saturdays but my days of monthly park visits are over. Annual visits would be perfect.

I don't have the time or energy for it anymore.

Just to play devils advocate for a sec. Do we contribute to the mystique being diminished because we go so often or is this all Disney’s doing?

SuddenStorm

Just to play devils advocate for a sec. Do we contribute to the mystique being diminished because we go so often or is this all Disney’s doing?

I went about 80 times in the Fall of 2019- and my love for the place was just as strong as it was before, if not stronger. I don't think it has anything to do with the frequency of visits.

I'm of the opinion that Disneyland as a brand and park has been horrifically mismanaged since 2015. The removal of the original Fantasmic. Galaxy's Edge. The removal of planters and scenery for Project Stardust. The lackluster reimaginings of various park details like the Frontierland gate. The announced closure of Splash Mountain. It's well documented on here how Disney's decision making and priorities about the park have changed dramatically over the last few years.

Stevek

Don’t waste your time on Bananas Foster beignets from Jazz Kitchen express at DTD unless you’ve always wanted to know what a melted down liquified banana flavored Laffy Taffy tastes like on a super dense beignet.
And why ruin a perfectly good plain old beignet? The question is, which is better...the Mickey beignet in NOS or Ralphs?

mickEblu

And why ruin a perfectly good plain old beignet? The question is, which is better...the Mickey beignet in NOS or Ralphs?

You know, I’m usually a purist too but those fluffernutter churros are better than the plain (cinnamon sugar) churros.

I haven’t had the Ralph Brennan’s regular beignets in so long that I’m not qualified to answer.

waltography

You know, I’m usually a purist too but those fluffernutter churros are better than the plain (cinnamon sugar) churros.

I haven’t had the Ralph Brennan’s regular beignets in so long that I’m not qualified to answer.
Where are those fluffernutter churros? Couldn't find them in Disneyland on Sunday; are they at DCA?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom