Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

SuddenStorm

Yeah it’s getting to be too much. It’s getting to the point where I either have to change the way I think of the park or distance myself from it.

I'm having the same dilemma. I mean even simple stuff like Main Street's absolutely delightful BGM isn't safe.

Eating an ice cream at night enjoying the ambience and listening to that delightful mix of songs is one of my favorite things... and not even that's safe. I mean Main Street at night is as Disneyland as it gets...

mickEblu

I'm having the same dilemma. I mean even simple stuff like Main Street's absolutely delightful BGM isn't safe.

Eating an ice cream at night enjoying the ambience and listening to that delightful mix of songs is one of my favorite things... and not even that's safe. I mean Main Street at night is as Disneyland as it gets...

In general it’s just starting to feel like an all out assault on classic Disneyland. This move in particular reeks of being step one of changing Main Street into Mickey Avenue whether they end up calling it that or not. They are really using COVID as a reset on everything.

CaptinEO

Main Street felt like one of the last neutral areas untouched by movie advertisements for me.

Disney corporate thinks "Disney" is all one big thing that encompasses theme parks, tv shows, movies, Star Wars, toys, National Geographic, The Simpsons, and Marvel.

They think people go to Disneyland only to experience Disney properties they see from other media.

I'm getting to the point where I realize I have nothing positive to contribute to these discussions. It may be best for me to get out of these fan discussions, as in the last few years Disney has changed so much that I no longer have any hope for the company's future.

Sailor310

Main Street felt like one of the last neutral areas untouched by movie advertisements for me.

Disney corporate thinks "Disney" is all one big thing that encompasses theme parks, tv shows, movies, Star Wars, toys, National Geographic, The Simpsons, and Marvel.

They think people go to Disneyland only to experience Disney properties they see from other media.
This. Like when they went to "Disney Resorts" merchandise. I want DISNEYLAND stuff when I got to Disneyland, not something I can buy in Florida.

CaptinEO

This. Like when they went to "Disney Resorts" merchandise. I want DISNEYLAND stuff when I got to Disneyland, not something I can buy in Florida.
Yeah.. the whole "Disney Parks" thing is so boring to me. It's either a generic castle or Mickey/Minnie or both with that "Disney Parks" branding.

I also really think the endless shops that are only selling bubble wands, lanyards, and electric spinner toys are getting really old.

SuddenStorm

In general it’s just starting to feel like an all out assault on classic Disneyland. This move in particular reeks of being step one of changing Main Street into Mickey Avenue whether they end up calling it that or not. They are really using COVID as a reset on everything.

You know, I've spent a significant portion of my adult life reading about Disneyland, visiting the place, and discussing it online.

A few weeks ago I went to Lagoon, a regional amusement park in Utah that has a handful of rides, but only one or two worth riding. Overall the place was unpleasant- the paint everywhere was peeling, the asphalt ground was cracked. The food sucked and was comparable to Disney prices. The employees were unprofessional and unenthusiastic. The rides were janky and visibly old. As soon as there were lines I was miserable. And my ticket was $70.

And it clicked. There's a reason why Disneyland has had enduring popularity for generations, and the Disney brand is only a small part of that. They had professional, courteous employees who thrive on delivering excellent service vs teenagers who are tired and unenthusiastic. The food is actually good. When Disneyland builds a rollercoaster they build this-

1620195199414.png

Not this-

1620195246801.png

Or when they build a log flume it looks like this-

1620195453808.png

Not this-

1620195402986.png

Growing up in SoCal and having worked at Magic Mountain and DCA, I've basically spent most of my amusement park time at the best in the business. I didn't realize how other places had it.

There's a John Hench quote that talks about the fragility of Disneyland's show- it only takes a minor inconsistency to throw the whole thing out of whack. So to see Disney be so cavalier about stuff that's integral to the park's show like the Main Street BGM, the Disney look, or a ride that's visible from half the park- it's kind of disheartening in some ways since basically everything they're changing is among my favorite elements of the park.

Disney Analyst

Saw this on mice chat

“I'm not a fan of this change at all however, the new music only plays from the speakers in Town Square. Main Street and the Hub still play the standard Main Street Music throughout the evening. The new music loop is a temporary change for the re-opening so the characters can give a kiss goodnight to guests from the train station.”

SuddenStorm

I'm getting to the point where I realize I have nothing positive to contribute to these discussions. It may be best for me to get out of these fan discussions, as in the last few years Disney has changed so much that I no longer have any hope for the company's future.

I'm 24- I was born in 1997. My first Disneyland trip was in 1997, and I went fairly regularly growing up (except for a 5 or so year hiatus from 2008 or so to 2014) and have gone many, many times from 2015-2019.

I had a realization a few weeks ago that I'm not a huge fan of anything they've built in my lifetime. I enjoy DCA, but don't adore the place and am not bothered at all by any of the changes they do there. I enjoy Soarin' Over California but I'm not up in arms about that change like I am Splash Mountain. I don't care for the new Star Tours. I've just naturally been attracted to the older parts of Disneyland. And Disney films for that matter- I don't care for most of the Disney movies that have come out after Lion King. I enjoy a handful of them, but none resonate with me like rennaissance films and the golden age. Raya was bleh, Moana was fun but forgettable. Tangled was fun but eh. None are of the same caliber as Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, or Lion King.

It's not like I'm an old timer that's like 'back in my day Disneyland was way better this new stuff sucks" since Pressler was running the place when I was a child. The new stuff and the decrease in maintenance/show has always been a part of Disneyland for me, I'm just uninterested in the new stuff. Which is weird since I have friends who love DCA/Pixar Pier and the new films. They were posting about how excited they are for the Splash change, and always wanted to go to SWGE when we would visit in 2019.

And if this trend of not liking anything Disney does to the place continues, I should probably not bother spending hours a week on here as well.

mickEblu

Saw this on mice chat

“I'm not a fan of this change at all however, the new music only plays from the speakers in Town Square. Main Street and the Hub still play the standard Main Street Music throughout the evening. The new music loop is a temporary change for the re-opening so the characters can give a kiss goodnight to guests from the train station.”

I told you guys. You were getting worked up for nothing.

😉

Giss Neric

This’ slightly concerning. On Sunday, several attractions at the park had filled all of their available queueing area and were spilling out onto the street. At Indy, they would have the line cross the exit path and weave through the upper level of the Jungle Cruise queue. The lines for HM, Pirates, and the NOS churro cart nearly converged at one point. Oh, and Big Thunder was using the entirety of the extended queue near Zocalo. Albeit the lines moved fast.. but DL just doesn’t have the queue space to accommodate the limited attraction capacity + 6ft social distancing.
Just forget about social distancing outdoors. Just indoors. Or just forget about it completely since they are wearing masks anyways and especially a lot have been vaccinated already. If this was 2020, then I might be more cautious and agreeable to social distancing but a lot has progressed in 2021.

CaptinEO

I'm 24- I was born in 1997. My first Disneyland trip was in 1997, and I went fairly regularly growing up (except for a 5 or so year hiatus from 2008 or so to 2014) and have gone many, many times from 2015-2019.

I had a realization a few weeks ago that I'm not a huge fan of anything they've built in my lifetime. I enjoy DCA, but don't adore the place and am not bothered at all by any of the changes they do there. I enjoy Soarin' Over California but I'm not up in arms about that change like I am Splash Mountain. I don't care for the new Star Tours. I've just naturally been attracted to the older parts of Disneyland. And Disney films for that matter- I don't care for most of the Disney movies that have come out after Lion King. I enjoy a handful of them, but none resonate with me like rennaissance films and the golden age. Raya was bleh, Moana was fun but forgettable. Tangled was fun but eh. None are of the same caliber as Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, or Lion King.

It's not like I'm an old timer that's like 'back in my day Disneyland was way better this new stuff sucks" since Pressler was running the place when I was a child. The new stuff and the decrease in maintenance/show has always been a part of Disneyland for me, I'm just uninterested in the new stuff. Which is weird since I have friends who love DCA/Pixar Pier and the new films. They were posting about how excited they are for the Splash change, and always wanted to go to SWGE when we would visit in 2019.

And if this trend of not liking anything Disney does to the place continues, I should probably not bother spending hours a week on here as well.
I'm just a little older than you, and also grew up in that same era. I completely agree.

Growing up the tapes I watched the most were Pinocchio, Dumbo, and Snow White, although I also really liked the Lion King.

In my adulthood I grew to appreciate the "Broadway" animated films more than I did as a kid, but they were never favorites of mine.

I know for my family seeing each Disney movie in theaters was an annual tradition, then we saw Atlantis and it was so bad that we never saw a Disney animated movie in theaters again.

People probably also mistake me for an old timer even though I'm in my 20s.

I also tended to love the original rides of Disneyland as a kid and not the new stuff, despite at the time having no idea when each ride was made.

It's not nostalgia at all, there were just really different themepark design styles/quality in that era that haven't come close to being matched, and it's super disappointing.

The problem is Disney has used social media and youtubers to promote blind brand loyalty and excitement. The whole online community for Disney now is only a praise fest, which is what the company wanted.

Notice how none of the big youtubers make videos critical of Disney or their announcements?

It's sad, the company was always "declining by degrees", but these last few years have been too much of a decline for me.

waltography

Don't know where to put this, but this seems to have been the catch-all update thread so I'll throw it in here.

The reason Mater's seems to have been closed at park reopening is because they added traction paint on the seats. Grabbed from Reddit:

First they kill the Flying Tires, now you can't be thrown around on the ride. 😔

VJ

Don't know where to put this, but this seems to have been the catch-all update thread so I'll throw it in here.

The reason Mater's seems to have been closed at park reopening is because they added traction paint on the seats. Grabbed from Reddit:

can't wait to see what they do to the matterhorn bobsleds...

Practical Pig

If I were a teen riding Mater's with a date, I would be seriously P-Oed if we weren't getting smashed together constantly anymore. 😡

DrAlice

I'm going to be THAT person....

So, they can put in traction paint, but they can't repaint the peeling portion on the edge of the seat?!?!?!

Perhaps this reddit user is incorrect?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom