Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

el_super

Yes, California’s strategy landed its deaths per 100k residents at 157, 23rd in the country, far below Florida, which sits at 24th in the country with 164 deaths per 100k.

The real problem is that this isn't really over for Florida. After the big surge in California, our numbers look a lot better than Florida's currently. That gap is going to continue to increase. That California was able to save lives in a way that Florida couldn't, despite the obvious natural advantages that Florida had (less density, fewer essential workers) is a real testament to how the policies in California (including keeping Disneyland closed) were the right ones.

ToTBellHop

The real problem is that this isn't really over for Florida. After the big surge in California, our numbers look a lot better than Florida's currently. That gap is going to continue to increase. That California was able to save lives in a way that Florida couldn't, despite the obvious natural advantages that Florida had (less density, fewer essential workers) is a real testament to how the policies in California (including keeping Disneyland closed) were the right ones.
LOL. Look, I understand what you are saying. I am no fan of DeSantis. I think we had an unprecedented situation, most governors did what they thought was best (with some legitimately caring to save lives more than others), but they all made errors. I honestly think Florida is lucky things haven’t been worse there, but it is a fact that some of the states with the most draconian policies also have the highest number of deaths per capita. That’s largely bad luck due to outbreaks in urban areas. As to the topic at hand, no good science suggests amusement parks were ever dangerous. Densely-packed buildings with an unsuccessful combination attempt at masking and distancing are a far bigger problem. Closing bars made sense. Keeping restaurants open but Dumbo closed is arbitrary and honestly putting money before lives. There are many known cases of spread in restaurants. I’ve yet to see one in an amusement park and you know the Newsom administration would have let us know if there were.

The Governor should be congratulated in turning around the vaccine administration, which was slow at first, with 50% of Californians having received at least one shot. We know from Israel what is likely to happen as we near 55 or 60%. Better times ahead.

Last edited:

DLR>WDW

Regarding the free parking I experienced yesterday, it doesn’t appear to be an isolated situation

Perhaps there’s been some pressure put on them from either the city of Anaheim or local residents to keep lines from backing up on to the streets? If management is willing to sacrafice thousands of dollars of pure profit, they must have some real incentive to do so.

Tamandua

but it is a fact that some of the states with the most draconian policies also have the highest number of deaths per capita. That’s largely bad luck due to outbreaks in urban areas.
Some of those states like California, New York, Michigan, etc forced covid patients into nursing homes where the most vulnerable people were. That decision by the respective governors caused a significant amount of the deaths. Honestly... Newsom's stubbornness on theme parks after forcing covid patients into nursing homes really shows how badly he has handled this situation. I mean all other political issues aside, his covid policies have often defied logic and common sense and have done more harm than good...but he says the word "science" and everyone thinks they can't question it.

el_super

Honestly... Newsom's stubbornness on theme parks after forcing covid patients into nursing homes really shows how badly he has handled this situation.

Keeping theme parks closed was the right decision. Now that the park is open, it is even more evident that social distancing and mask usage would have never prevented spread and Disney's "safety" protocols were insufficient. The vaccine is the only thing that made opening the park even relatively safe, and yet still people refuse to get it.

ToTBellHop

Keeping theme parks closed was the right decision. Now that the park is open, it is even more evident that social distancing and mask usage would have never prevented spread and Disney's "safety" protocols were insufficient. The vaccine is the only thing that made opening the park even relatively safe, and yet still people refuse to get it.
I’m under the impression that CA has a high rate of vaccine uptake, thankfully. Not much we can do about the Alabamas. No cure for stupid.

VJ

Though it does create an in testing flaw in the story, as the First Order has captured us because they want to know the location of the secret base, yet we were never told it by Rey!
The planet the base is on, Pacara, is mentioned while on the transport - you were originally going to the secret base before you were intercepted and captured by the First Order.

Last edited:

mary2013

That's going to be a problem at DLR too. It was pretty hot on Friday and I had a bad headache for the second half of the day. I'm sure having to wear a mask was a significant contributing factor. I'm sort of prone to headaches but I try to minimize my chances of getting them by hydrating and making sure I get enough oxygen, but no one believes me when I say that wearing a mask is actually a hardship. I had the same headache in Florida. It's really counterproductive to require masks at some point with the immunity rate where it is. Masks definitely have their problems. I think they should be optional now.
I also got headaches from the masks. What I realized was the headaches weren't coming from the mask covering my face, but from the straps. They were too tight across the sides of my head. One time while grocery shopping my headache got so bad I had to take the straps off and hold the mask in front of my mouth. If you use a cloth mask, I would try a larger size.

Newtwo

That California was able to save lives in a way that Florida couldn't, despite the obvious natural advantages that Florida had (less density, fewer essential workers) is a real testament to how the policies in California (including keeping Disneyland closed) were the right ones.
Spat my milk out in laughter reading this rubbish.

Conveniently left out that the average age of a person is Florida is 6 years older than the average California resident. It's sort of a big deal when you are dealing with a virus which predominately kills people over 65.

fctiger

OK, checked DCA wait times and the longest lines are literally only 15 minutes lol. Practically everything else is 5 minutes. Man, DCA is going to be a godsend to go for probably the next month. Even with AC it's obviously not going to be huge crowds with the capacity. But that will probably take all the attention away from the other rides for awhile, so either way it's a win-win for any big DCA fans...apparently the several dozen or so out there.

SoCalDisneyLover

I wonder how many people are actually buying CA Adventure only tickets as opposed to Park Hoppers that start the day at CA Adventure. Obviously Disneyland is selling out of their 1 Park tickets almost every day, along with Hoppers that start at Disneyland.

fctiger

I wonder how many people are actually buying CA Adventure only tickets as opposed to Park Hoppers that start the day at CA Adventure. Obviously Disneyland is selling out of their 1 Park tickets almost every day, along with Hoppers that start at Disneyland.

I'm starting to think it was probably the reason they even allowed park hopping on the first day at DLR as opposed to WDW which didn't even allow it until about 6 months after they reopened. DCA would probably be a complete ghost town right now if you could only go to one park a day.

Parteecia

I also got headaches from the masks. What I realized was the headaches weren't coming from the mask covering my face, but from the straps. They were too tight across the sides of my head. One time while grocery shopping my headache got so bad I had to take the straps off and hold the mask in front of my mouth. If you use a cloth mask, I would try a larger size.
Try a cotton mask that ties around the head instead of ear loops.

mickEblu

Yeah... I'm really pleased with how California has been doing lately, and that we finally reached a point where we can reopen things safely.

Doesn't need to be shut down forever, but clearly keeping it shut down longer worked out well for California if not the whole country. It was the right decision.

Is it true that you recently went to Disneyland?

mickEblu

OK, checked DCA wait times and the longest lines are literally only 15 minutes lol. Practically everything else is 5 minutes. Man, DCA is going to be a godsend to go for probably the next month. Even with AC it's obviously not going to be huge crowds with the capacity. But that will probably take all the attention away from the other rides for awhile, so either way it's a win-win for any big DCA fans...apparently the several dozen or so out there.

What are the odds the lines stay nice and short like this thru May?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom