Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

fctiger

Based on the timestamp he was filming this during the last hour of the park being open where probably most people had either park hopped over to DL or already left for the day. Show me a live stream at 11am and if that is showing empty then I'll be convinced nobody is going to DCA.

I don't see how AP's would fix this. If people like DL more than DCA I don't see how having an AP will change that. DL was always more crowded than DCA.

I know, he said that in the video. It's not like I was trying to hide it lol. He literally said it was the last hour. But this still drives home the point. My main point is even when DCA is 'sold out' it can't keep a crowd all day. We're not talking usual end-of-day hours either, about 9 or 10 p.m. either. This is 6 p.m. on a Saturday on a sunny Spring day when that park has been closed just as long as DL has. Now imagine when it's not sold out at all which it isn't for 80% of the passes currently available? When its not on a Saturday? What will that park look like most average days after everyone has hit all the main rides and goes back to DL?

That's the point I'm driving home. But even right now, you have no issues buying a ticket for DCA tomorrow and pretty much every day except on certain Saturdays this month. That's at 25% capacity. Now look at DL. The next time you can buy a one day ticket to that place is literally not until the end of June now. And those will probably be gone in the next few days as well.

I'm not just taking a single day from a single 40 minute video and saying this is proof DCA is in trouble. I'm saying based on the future projection of what we're seeing and know with availability that DCA could be in trouble. And even on the days the park is 'sold out' like it was in that video just tells you 20 years on people still don't really seem to view the park as something they have to spend all day in. Like what Dave himself said in the video, he was only still there because he had a one day pass. And my guess is most of the people left in that hour were in the same situation. And you have to wonder how many one day DCA tickets are they selling? My guess is clearly not many. I mean imagine what it would be like if there were even no PH lol.

And I wasn't trying to turn this into an AP argument. My first OP never said anything about it. But yes, this is a no-brainer as well. Someone already said it, APS act like an overflow because it's very easy to keep people in that park when they are going all year. When you have 1 day or a few days PH, not as much because for many the sole purpose will be to do DL more when you have limited time. THAT's the difference.

Now I will be very fair and say IF things like WOC or the parades would be running then yes I do think more people would definitely stick around. That's literally why WOC was invented, to keep people through the night. But when is stuff like that coming back?? Maybe if it was coming within they year, it wouldn't be as bad. But without things like that, it's now feeling like DCA 1.0 vibes again. I'm curious to see what this park will look like around 5 p.m. on a Monday lol. The next few weeks will be interesting to watch at least.

Last edited:

fctiger

When there are APs, DCA acts like an extension or overflow for Disneyland. When attractions at Disneyland have long wait times, people spill over into DCA knowing they have all the time in the world to do things at Disneyland, either the same day or another day. Without that AP access, people don't want to invest their time in DCA at the cost of time at Disneyland.

Exactly! This is a great point. When you are on vacation and with limited time, you will naturally make the park you want to see the most the bigger priority. When you have an AP, ANY park can be a priority for any given day if you show up once a week or even once a month. And even then I suspect most Apers still spend more time in DL easily but it's not hard to give DCA just as much attention if you choose to throughout the year. And with the number of APs it just made it easier to fill up DCA a lot of the time.

Disney Analyst

They really should just start over. They were on a decent track in 2012 but another round of bad decisions has landed DCA a few steps back.

I still say they just call it “Disney Adventure” or something; and let it be the IP filled park, but keep the theme standards high… oh and charge a little bit less then Disneyland, she’s not Disneyland.

MagicWDI

I still say they just call it “Disney Adventure” or something; and let it be the IP filled park, but keep the theme standards high… oh and charge a little bit less then Disneyland, she’s not Disneyland.
Or do what Disney always does... slam "Magic" or "Dream" somewhere in the title and call it a day.

I guess my username checks out...

But I also agree with everything you just said.

Tha Realest

Better idea: Call it “Disney Afternoons” and reskin the rides to be themed to the original DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, Gummi Bears, and Gargoyles.

J4546

lol i dont know why dca gets so much crap nowadays, its a good park, although still not an all day park to me. but it offers a bunch of different themed areas and good food. Its def not as nice as DL, and hyperion being closed is a huge hit, but still its not as bad as some people make it out to be.

fctiger

More than a quarter of DCA days are sold out... for now. Avengers campus will lead to more sell out days.

As mentioned above, WDW had a similar slow re-start before they were hitting capacity on a regular basis... all without APs.

This is more akin to how Epcot and DAK weren't near capacity but MK and DHS were because MK is MK and DHS has two new E-Ticket rides.

DCA will always lag behind DL until it's beefed up... a lot.

Your argument about how "this shows DLR needs AP" also doesn't work because DL is nearly sold out. In fact, it shows why DLR doesn't need APs because DL brings all the boys to their yard. APs would overwhelm DL.

Perhaps you meant an AP for DCA alone?

First off, APs were never eliminated in WDW, so not sure what you're saying. They still make up the attendance there.

WDW NEVER relied on APs the way DLR does because it's always been a more popular resort for vacationers in general. And Florida doesn't have the population to rely on locals for a place the size of WDW even if they wanted to. They literally need vacationers to sustain that resort most of the year, but it's clearly not a big issue to do that either.

DL is sold out now because it's been closed for a year and at smaller capacity. I'm just very skeptical it will be like this past summer and when the hardcore had it's fill and when capacity goes beyond 50%., I'm old enough to remember the summer of 2020 and how everyone was freaking out because the park was very very slow and that was still with APs, just not as many as usual. And I can see that happening again by this time a year from now easily. But I'm prepared to be wrong!

I'm not trying to turn this into a 'AP' argument. I think DL probably could do fine without them for a lot of the year, especially in the summer. It's AFTER summer when it's become the issue however. And yes it's always been much more about DCA obviously.

Tamandua

First off, APs were never eliminated in WDW, so not sure what you're saying. They still make up the attendance there.

WDW NEVER relied on APs the way DLR does because it's always been a more popular resort for vacationers in general. And Florida doesn't have the population to rely on locals for a place the size of WDW even if they wanted to. They literally need vacationers to sustain that resort most of the year, but it's clearly not a big issue to do that either.

DL is sold out now because it's been closed for a year and at smaller capacity. I'm just very skeptical it will be like this past summer and when the hardcore had it's fill and when capacity goes beyond 50%., I'm old enough to remember the summer of 2020 and how everyone was freaking out because the park was very very slow and that was still with APs, just not as many as usual. And I can see that happening again by this time a year from now easily. But I'm prepared to be wrong!

I'm not trying to turn this into a 'AP' argument. I think DL probably could do fine without them for a lot of the year, especially in the summer. It's AFTER summer when it's become the issue however. And yes it's always been much more about DCA obviously.
I saw a lot of Disney World shirts at Disneyland on Friday. I think a lot of APs went to Disney World over the last year. I think a higher percentage than you would think of Disney World's reopening crowds has been Californians getting their fix.

Tamandua

In the comments on their Patreon page and in a few livestreams a while back. Anyone who disagreed with them had their comments mysteriously deleted. Lost a lot of respect for them after that.
Weren't they campaigning to get Chris Pratt and Gino Carano fired by Disney for being conservative? I had stopped watching but I saw them say some stuff like that on social media.

fctiger

A DCA Only pass seems likely, unless Disney is okay with a discounted ticket to go to DCA. DL is almost out of days in which 1park tickets can be used, and even Park Hoppers are significantly restricted. DCA has about the same number of days with less availability before and after the opening of the Avengers area, and almost all of those days are on the weekends.

They could've had a DCA only pass for literally 20 years now. Why didn't they? They could've also had discounted day passes for DCA for the pass 20 years as well. Again, why didn't they?

I been saying this for years now and Disney proves it over and over again with their actions. They don't treat these parks as separate entities, but as ONE entity. And that's every resort worldwide. Now, someone might can correct me on this one though, but I do think WDSP had some kind of deal where if you paid a full price for that, you were still allowed into DLP after a certain hour. At least what they did at the beginning and maybe still do? It's the only park I never been to.

But I been to all the others multiple times and every park is priced literally the same as the others, regardless of size, capacity, number of attractions etc. No individual park gets discounted unless they all do. Tokyo Disney Resort does have separate APs, but Disney doesn't own that resort and that's the only one you can do that with.

This just seems to be Disney's mentality and there is probably some marketing psychology way above me to understand it, but clearly something is telling them this is the way to go. Or they can simply slash DCA half price. People keep saying this like it's something Disney couldn't have done for 20 years already. They never did it then and they are not doing it now. Why??? Again, no clue lol. But they don't seem to think that is the better option EVEN if it gets less people in the park.

Giss Neric

Anyone with a Patreon to solicit donations to fund their theme park and shopping obsession is cringe to me. That's not even considering that the guy owns a prominent media business. I don't understand why people think so much of those guys.
Donating to Patreon is no different than someone paying to subscribe to OnlyFans. You pay cause you support that person and "what they do."

Maybe some people are living vicariously through their Disney trips cause they do want to but can't cause they can't afford or they're too far away.

What irks me about Best Life and Beyond is that they went to the CM previews and they cried being back for the first time in a year. Now they went back on the first day of reopening and they cried again like it's their first time which is not.

Last edited:

fctiger

Donating to Patreon is no different than someone paying to subscribe to OnlyFans. You pay cause you support that person and "what they do."

Maybe some people are living vicariously through their Disney trips cause they do want to but can't cause they can't afford or they're too far away.

What irks me about Best Life and Beyond is that they went to the CM previews and they cried being back for the first time in a year. Now they went back on the first day of reopening and they cried again like it's their first time which is not.

IDK, I cry every time I leave and realize I been drained of all my money. Some people are just criers.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member

Not to mention Best Life spent about 6 weeks at WDW on property using DVC points donated by their fans. Sounds like a tough life!

fctiger

I saw a lot of Disney World shirts at Disneyland on Friday. I think a lot of APs went to Disney World over the last year. I think a higher percentage than you would think of Disney World's reopening crowds has been Californians getting their fix.

That I have no doubt. Yeah a lot of the people who are use to going to DL every month probably all made special trips to WDW. If I wasn't so afraid to go when the virus was raging and Florida being well....Florida, I might've considered it too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom