News Disneyland modifies mask policy - UPDATE 7/28/21

cmwade77

Except we know those who are unvaccinated will be the first ones to rip off those mask when they shouldn’t be.
And if you are vaccinated, that affects you how exactly?

Even the CDC says it is ok for those who are vaccinated to be around those that are unvaccinated indoors, even if no one is wearing a mask.

So, if they choose to go unmasked, they are hurting just themselves (if you believe masks work), so what does it matter? Live and let live and let people take responsibility for their own lives.

Stevek

These are not mutually exclusive ideas. I've attached a short video that explains how the economy impacts people's lives. There's another really good one from the same channel that dives into the effects of the lockdowns on the population.

I picked up Chick Fil A for lunch. Only four of us waiting for our food were not wearing a mask, out of about 25 present (not including those dining in). It's definitely nice to not have to worry about forgetting my mask and running back to the car again.

My wife said that the stores she went in were a mixed bag, some with and some without masks. I think you'll continue to see that for quite a while...possible for a year or more.

SoCalDisneyLover

These are not mutually exclusive ideas. I've attached a short video that explains how the economy impacts people's lives. There's another really good one from the same channel that dives into the effects of the lockdowns on the population.

It was never a question of whether the economy would be impacted by the lockdowns. There always was an issue about the negative effect the situation would have on people's lives and mental well being.

And it's never been the case that restrictions would be around Forever, or that they were the result of some sort of power play by the Governor of California, or any other state that had them.

It's my belief that it's that same push to get completely back to normal as quickly as possible, that's brought us to where we are today. And make no mistake, that "push" to normalcy has been around since March 2020. It has Never gone away, and it's presence has been felt throughout the last 15 months.

One thing is certain. Not everybody feels comfortable with the Rush, Rush, Rush now underway. Which by no means is there an interest in going super slow, or continuing severe measures, given the availability of vaccines. Somewhat of a more measured approach would have been better in my opinion.

All of these things happened instantaneously as of today:

1. Out Of State Visitors Welcome
2. 100% Capacity Allowed At All Venues - Indoors Or Outdoors
3. No More Social Distancing
4. And The Biggest One - No Masks Indoors Or Outdoors

I really expected #1 & #3. I also thought there would be a more phased move to 100% capacity, since that combined with No Social Distancing, is a recipe for disaster. But add in the No Masks Required Indoors, and I absolutely believe it's several weeks premature.

But of course, it's a personal choice now, so I will respect that, but continue to wear a mask. For myself, I'm not ready to spike the football yet. I'm going to ease into loosening my own restrictions, even while others talk about holding mask bonfires and pretending that as a nation, we've touched home plate. I've seen how many have behaved since the beginning, and have no illusions that America has performed intelligently enough that we can suddenly say we've got it all figured out, just like that.

DLR92

I picked up Chick Fil A for lunch. Only four of us waiting for our food were not wearing a mask, out of about 25 present (not including those dining in). It's definitely nice to not have to worry about forgetting my mask and running back to the car again.

That nice but I don’t care.

DLR92

I really hope I don't sound rude in this, but how can you claim to care about the lives of others and then say you do not care about how the lockdowns have effected people's lives? Suicide, depression, homicide, domestic assault, poverty, and hunger have all gone up as a consequence of the lockdowns.
While it has consequences but I felt back then it was justified. Sorry, your viewpoint will never reason with me like mine does not either with you.

TP2000

I feel bad for the CMs that still have to wear masks, especially outdoors in the summer heat. Is it a choice for them or a requirement?

It's a requirement in California until June 17th. It should have been dropped on June 15th, but Cal OSHA issued a bizzarre requirement two weeks ago that vaccinated employees must remain masked. Cal OSHA got their behinds handed to them for that idiotic and anti-science requirement and they quickly reversed their decision the following week. But the way the laws are written a Cal OSHA mandate has to wait a full week before it can be implemented for California employees.

So all employees in California, including Disneyland CM's, must stay masked through Thursday. Then they can take off the masks on Friday. Our tax dollars at work, again.

I'm glad Disney has aligned themselves with the CDC guidelines about masks and distancing. The best way to return to normalcy is to follow the science- which clearly states it's okay for the vaccinated to not wear masks.

Yes, I agree. It took California a few extra weeks, but almost all other states already followed CDC guidelines, or were ahead of them a bit. It's important to respect and follow the science. And the science of vaccinations is clear on this one.

And if you are vaccinated, that affects you how exactly?

Even the CDC says it is ok for those who are vaccinated to be around those that are unvaccinated indoors, even if no one is wearing a mask.

Exactly. This is like the Measles outbreak that hit Disneyland in 2016. If you were vaccinated against Measles and had your MMR shot, you had nothing to worry about. Go about your life as normal. If you aren't vaccinated against Measles, then what the heck are you doing at a theme park that attracts a lot of foreigners with poor vaccination rates?

Speaking of that, a little public service announcement. Have we all had our TDaP booster shot lately? All American adults need a TDaP booster (Tetanus, Diptheria, acellual Pertussis) every 10 years. TDaP booster shots are always covered by all insurance, and are available at any pharmacy or Target or supermarket druggist counter near you.

I got my 10 year Tetanus booster last year, plus an MMR booster. And for those of us over 50, you need to get the Shingrix vaccine to prevent the horror of Shingles. All of us older folks had Chickenpox when we were kids, so Shingles is lurking within us and strikes about half of us born before 1970.

Get up to date and get vaccinated! TDaP, MMR, Shingrix, Twinrix, etc.! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

The OC Register had an article about this today. Basically saying how most OC'ers were happy to be without masks, although some are still scared and not really believing in the vaccine science. A 10th grade science teacher is weeping somewhere....

But employees still have to wear masks until the 17th, after Cal OSHA completely bungled their responsibility and issued an anti-science directive that vaccinated employees must remain masked indefinitely. That decision only lasted a few days, after Cal OSHA was broadly lambasted as idiots and luddites. But the way the law is written, it takes a full week for a Cal OSHA directive to take effect even after they are forced to reverse themselves a few days later. So June 17th it is.

Humourously, the OC Register put on its front page a photo of a Huntington Beach barber who is openly flouting the Cal OSHA rules for employees and is already cutting hair without a mask. That's a barber who paid attention in 10th grade science class! :D

OCR-L-OCUNMASKED-0616-JG-01.jpg

Disneyland Cast Members should be maskless by this weekend, after Cal OSHA was forced to reverse it's original decision on vaccinated employees wearing masks indefinitely.

Tamandua

The OC Register had an article about this today. Basically saying how most OC'ers were happy to be without masks, although some are still scared and not really believing in the vaccine science. A 10th grade science teacher is weeping somewhere....

But employees still have to wear masks until the 17th, after Cal OSHA completely bungled their responsibility and issued an anti-science directive that vaccinated employees must remain masked indefinitely. That decision only lasted a few days, after Cal OSHA was broadly lambasted as idiots and luddites. But the way the law is written, it takes a full week for a Cal OSHA directive to take effect even after they are forced to reverse themselves a few days later. So June 17th it is.

Humourously, the OC Register put on its front page a photo of a Huntington Beach barber who is openly flouting the Cal OSHA rules for employees and is already cutting hair without a mask. That's a barber who paid attention in 10th grade science class! :D

OCR-L-OCUNMASKED-0616-JG-01.jpg

Disneyland Cast Members should be maskless by this weekend, after Cal OSHA was forced to reverse it's original decision on vaccinated employees wearing masks indefinitely.
I think masks have become the equivalent of an adult security blanket for a lot of people. There are people out there vaccinated, healthy, sitting alone and wearing masks. They have the right to do so, but I think the world needs some serious therapy after this period of confusing and emotionally draining ever-changing conflicting reports of whether we're all going to die and which measures keep us safe or not.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
My wife said that the stores she went in were a mixed bag, some with and some without masks. I think you'll continue to see that for quite a while...possible for a year or more.
Do you mean some stores still had mask rules and some didn't? Ultimately money will dictate. When people favor going to stores that don't require masks, the ones that are losing money will change their tune.

Stevek

Do you mean some stores still had mask rules and some didn't? Ultimately money will dictate. When people favor going to stores that don't require masks, the ones that are losing money will change their tune.
No, masks were not required but some folks chose to wear them.

SoCalDisneyLover

I really hope I don't sound rude in this, but how can you claim to care about the lives of others and then say you do not care about how the lockdowns have effected people's lives? Suicide, depression, homicide, domestic assault, poverty, and hunger have all gone up as a consequence of the lockdowns.
Some of those were going to happen as a result of the lockdowns. It was inevitable. It was a matter of whether it would be comparable to the # of deaths from Covid, if there were no lockdowns, which clearly would have been much greater, given the way this virus spreads and claims it's victims. Not to mention that those things would have happened irrespective of Covid, just perhaps in smaller #'s.

As for Poverty & Hunger, that's what all the Government initiatives were supposed to mitigate. The increase and extension of Unemployment Benefits. The PPP Loans. The Stimulus checks. They were designed to build a bridge from March 2020 until the return to normalcy, which was never going to be possible until vaccines were widely available.

The continued wearing of masks, and even the social distancing really have no impact on the things you mentioned. There are no more lockdowns, and haven't been for weeks. Again, because only a couple of months ago, the vaccines were not as widely accessible or approved for all age groups. In fact, they're still not authorized for under 12.

Let's be Frank. Even though that's not my name. The problem really isn't with those vaccinated, who are now free to choose not to wear masks. The problem is the "honor system," is going to allow those unvaccinated to do the same. My opinion is that puts a group of people, who are clearly reluctant to follow and respect Science, to be honest in accepting the fact they'll need to continue wearing masks as a penalty for their avoidance of doing the right thing. And I doubt that someone in that group will follow the rules, when all it will take to get out of them is a nod of the head to a sign when entering the parks.

Comparing the % that are fully vaccinated with the % not wearing masks, is a window into the effectiveness of the "honor" system, and all but proves the point I'm trying to make. A temporary verification system was needed, but of course, it became political, and people kept saying how complicated it would have been, so no effort was made to even consider the possibility. So we're where we are as a result.

Finally, that brings me to the biggest worry, being that this sudden loosening of restrictions, under the honor system, might cause some to not bother getting vaccinated. The incentive to something like not wearing a mask is gone, because you can pretty much do that anyways. Even though you are keeping yourself at risk, and putting others at risk since you could carry and spread the virus that much easier since you and your other non-vaccinated friends are not wearing masks anymore.

truecoat

No they haven't.

Suicides decreased 6 percent last year. I'm not going to look up all the other made up assertions amplified by online echo chambers.

6% suicide drop

cmwade77

No they haven't.

Suicides decreased 6 percent last year. I'm not going to look up all the other made up assertions amplified by online echo chambers.

6% suicide drop
But you have to look at the whole pictures, in So cal suicides among the younger increased

Murder was up 25% and even higher increase in California

The list goes on and on.

Tamandua

But you have to look at the whole pictures, in So cal suicides among the younger increased

Murder was up 25% and even higher increase in California

The list goes on and on.
Violent crime has skyrocketed in urban areas due to anti-police sentiment which has led to police funding being decimated.

Vegas Disney Fan

It’s a transition phase, give it a couple weeks and chances are you won’t see many. We got rid of our mask mandate May 13, the first week it was probably 75/25 with masks, week 2 was probably 50/50, week 3 probably 75/25 without, and now probably 90/10 without.

It felt weird not wearing one at first but after a few days it felt normal again. I‘m sure a few people will continue wearing them for the rest of their lives, and hopefully people will hang on to some masks to wear if they feel ill, but I think the vast majority are happy to see that requirement end.

The great news is no one seems to care either way, the people still wearing them don’t get dirty looks, the people not wearing them don’t get dirty looks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom