News Disneyland modifies mask policy - UPDATE 7/28/21

TP2000

Clearly you don't know if some have underlying conditions while vaccinated or some are wearing because they are not vaccinated.

47.2% of Californians are fully vaccinated as of today.

A 90/10 split of masked to maskless at a California supermarket doesn't make much sense with that hard data and science.

Last edited:

TP2000

Just waiting on Cal OSHA to end the mask mandate for Essential Workers. If anything, we've built up our immunity better than any of you Non-Essentials even before Vaccines.

Exactly. Wil Thuston (no 'r' and no relation to Thurston Howell III) has worked at Disneyland since 2018. He just ended 15 months of paid tax-free furlough at higher rates than his $16 an hour Disneyland pay rate (plus $3,000 of tax-free federal checks via stimulus bills) from his job as a Main Street USA shopclerk. 15 months he could have used to find a new job that doesn't work with the public.

15 months that employees at Ralph's and Target and Costco and WalMart and Home Depot and Chick-Fil-A and Trader Joe's and In-N-Out all kept working, providing food and essential services to Americans. Heck, even the convertible top installers at Satin Topless on Ball Road went back to work eight months ago.

Instead, Mr. Thuston complains to the LA Times on the record about how awful his job as a $16 an hour shopclerk at Disneyland is after his 15 months of paid leave.

Tomorrow there should be news from Cal OSHA on how, and when, vaccinated employees in California may remove their masks while they sell theme park souvenirs, or fresh produce, or tennis shoes, or begonias. Also convertible tops. Or is it topless convertibles?

Last edited:

Tamandua

Exactly. Wil Thuston (no 'r' and no relation to Thurston Howell III) has worked at Disneyland since 2018. He just ended 15 months of paid tax-free furlough at higher rates than his $16 an hour Disneyland pay rate (plus $3,000 of tax-free federal checks via stimulus bills) from his job as a Main Street USA shopclerk. 15 months he could have used to find a new job that doesn't work with the public.

15 months that employees at Ralph's and Target and Costco and WalMart and Home Depot and Chick-Fil-A and Trader Joe's and In-N-Out all kept working, providing food and essential services to Americans. Heck, even the convertible top installers at Satin Topless on Ball Road went back to work eight months ago.

Instead, Mr. Thuston complains to the LA Times on the record about how awful his job as a $16 an hour shopclerk at Disneyland is after his 15 months of paid leave.

Tomorrow there should be news from Cal OSHA on how, and when, vaccinated employees in California may remove their masks while they sell theme park souvenirs, or fresh produce, or tennis shoes, or begonias. Also convertible tops. Or is it topless convertibles?
I started to feel resentful to cast members last year when the unions campaigned against reopening while I, like most people, was still working. I never believed it was a concern about health. By then there were protocols and data that made things very different from when they closed. Even today people are holding out as long as possible before going back to work, and businesses all over the country are struggling to find labor while having to compete against insane unemployment benefits.

I think Mr. Thuston's job history should have a big asterisk next to his position from March 2020 - April 2021. If you didn't put it together that he was furloughed from the pandemic, he'd have you believe he was working that whole time.

el_super

I started to feel resentful to cast members last year when the unions campaigned against reopening while I, like most people, was still working. I never believed it was a concern about health.

I'm going to guess though, that your place of business is not an international destination that was the site of a measles outbreak. Infections disease thrives at a place like Disneyland. Unless you work at the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese, there really isn't a comparison.

el_super

Just went to the local Ralph’s and 90% of people are still wearing masks. I think it has less to do with people feeling unsafe and more to do with most people not doing well with change and/ or being followers that need to see other people doing something first.

I would think the default action should be to continue wearing a mask, unless a host/business explicitly say that it is acceptable to remove it.

Stevek

I would think the default action should be to continue wearing a mask, unless a host/business explicitly say that it is acceptable to remove it.
I believe it’s the exact opposite. Previously, businesses had signs requiring masks. Unless those signs are still present, the default should be in line with the state guidelines where no mask is required unless stated otherwise by the business (or if you are not vaccinated). Every place I’ve been to so far has removed signage requiring masks.

el_super

That's not how the law works, but OK

Smoking is legal, but you can't smoke everywhere you go.

Just to add, every business had a "Masks are required" sign on their entrances on June 14. On June 15, those signs were all gone from the places I've been.

If companies have made it clear you can enter without a mask, that should be fine, but it shouldn't be automatically assumed it's OK everywhere.

Stevek

Ok, so amended statement: Don't assume it's ok everywhere to go maskless, and look for signs/indications that you are clear to go maskless.

The point still remains: don't automatically assume it's acceptable everywhere.
That's a fair statement. I will still carry a mask with me just in case.

Last edited:

Stevek

Smoking is legal, but you can't smoke everywhere you go.

If companies have made it clear you can enter without a mask, that should be fine, but it shouldn't be automatically assumed it's OK everywhere.
Again, I think it's the opposite. At this point, assume it's OK unless companies make it clear that you cannot enter without a mask. The thinking has literally flipped 180 degrees from where we were June 14th.

Communicora

Premium Member
I still keep my mask in my car just in case (also because I still have to wear it for work), but I'm also able now to go to a store and if I see a "Masks required" sign I have the freedom to take my business elsewhere, which is what I would do (but I have still yet to encounter).

I wonder how long it'll be until the mask-wearers are seen as "selfish" because they haven't done their "duty" of getting the vaccine.
It kinda already feels like that has already happened. People are pretty judgmental about people who still wear masks and don't understand that there are people who are still at higher risk even if vaccinated (elderly, immunocompromised).

Tamandua

It kinda already feels like that has already happened. People are pretty judgmental about people who still wear masks and don't understand that there are people who are still at higher risk even if vaccinated (elderly, immunocompromised).
I believe all people should have the right to wear a mask, or not wear a mask... But the mask crowd has been so judgemental to the no mask crowd that it's not surprising that the tide is turning the other way. I've literally had people yelling at me for walking outside in my neighborhood with my kids without a mask. If those same people continue to wear masks outside even though vaccinated... Yeah... I'm going to judge them.

DavidDL

I mean, other countries have been wearing masks to lower chances of illnesses for quite some time. It's just not something we're as used to, culturally, here in America. When I worked as a CM, Asian tourists would frequently wear masks and I always thought it was a little strange because I didn't fully understand. Then I started working a job that requires me to wear a mask 8-12 hours a day, 6 days a week in order to protect myself from long-term respiratory disease and endured the COVID pandemic. Needless to say, I understand why folks would want to keep wearing a mask, even if they were vaccinated but that's up to them. I don't think it's childish of them to veer on the side of caution when flu season comes around or visiting a crowded place with visitors from all over the world in an effort to protect themselves or others. Heck, when I first began my time as a CM, I got sick constantly for the first couple months, likely because my immune system wasn't used to being around so many people. Did I eventually build up against it? Sure, but it wasn't fun and who knows who else I got sick while I was coming in for my shifts. I at least understand the logic behind it, now.

But ultimately, it's really pretty simple; not vaccinated and not wearing a mask? You're putting yourself and others at risk (at least until we reach better herd immunity). Vaccinated? Do whatever the heck you want. Go mask-less or don't, at this point it's totally up to you and I wouldn't judge either choice.

Stevek

I wonder how long it'll be until the mask-wearers are seen as "selfish" because they haven't done their "duty" of getting the vaccine.
I have no desire to expend any energy getting on people who wear a mask. I have no idea if those people a) have chosen not to get the vaccine or b) have been vaccinated and still choose to wear a mask for personal reasons. Time for all of us to move on and start living life again.

el_super

I believe all people should have the right to wear a mask, or not wear a mask... But the mask crowd has been so judgemental to the no mask crowd that it's not surprising that the tide is turning the other way.

The tide turning is really the most amazing part of this: folks who were staunchly against the CDC guidelines are now touting them as though they were the law of the land. They became believers overnight! How miraculous.

Of course the CDC still recommends that those not vaccinated wear a mask while indoors. Certainly if you're not vaccinated, you will respect that guidance as well... right?

In California specifically, local businesses can still require masks for entry, so you shouldn't assume that every business allows maskless customers, or assume that you have a right to enter a business that still requires a mask. That is the point here I am trying to make: it's safer not to assume.

I mean, other countries have been wearing masks to lower chances of illnesses for quite some time. It's just not something we're as used to, culturally, here in America.

Yeah, and hopefully it's something that has changed in America. Some people though, just seem terribly afraid of cultural changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom