News Disneyland modifies mask policy - UPDATE 7/28/21

Disney Analyst

The thing is that here in the USA most of us are now vaccinated, or already had it. Or both. We follow the science in the USA. I get it that in Europe and Canada where vaccinations are months behind the USA that masks are still needed. But not here in America, not now. It's over.

Why the EU, Canada, Australia etc. didn't have an Operation Warp Speed for vaccines is beyond me. What were those leaders doing?!?

A vaccinated person does not need to wear a mask. We honor the Science in the United States. Masks are no longer needed.

Vaccination Rates of Population - June 14th, 2021
United Kingdom = 44.9% Fully Vaccinated
United States = 43.7% Fully Vaccinated
European Union = 24.7% Fully Vaccinated
Mexico = 11.5% Fully Vaccinated
Canada = 8.1% Fully Vaccinated
Japan = 4.1% Fully Vaccinated
Australia = 0.1% Fully Vaccinated

I was speaking in general, the politicization and discourse over the past year blows my mind, over something as simple as wearing masks.

But I will say, fully vaccinated yes we are behind, but we will be catching up and surpassing very soon, we already have with our first doses (number one worldwide) - so the question becomes how do you get more people in the US to get their first dose?

Stevek

Is it not relevant to the thread?
Yes and no...people are just debating the exact same thing debated for this whole pandemic. Do masks work or not and which site can I find that proves my point. It just clogs up the thread and creates the same swirl we all lived through...ultimately nothing is accomplished as people will just do what they want regardless of the evidence shared with them. Not going to change anyone's mind at this point.

If you have a different POV as to why having this discussion all over again is good, I'm always happy to listen.

Last edited:

October82

Background​

Based on the status of the COVID-19 global pandemic, there is an urgent need to systematically evaluate the effectiveness of wearing masks to protect public health from COVID-19 infection.

Methods​

The Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analysis statement was consulted to report this systematic review. We conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis to evaluate the effectiveness of using face masks to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2. Relevant articles were retrieved from PubMed, Web of Science, ScienceDirect, Cochrane Library, and Chinese National Knowledge Infrastructure, VIP (Chinese) database. There were no language restrictions. This study was registered with PROSPERO under the number CRD42020211862.

Results​

A total of 6 studies were included, involving 4 countries, after a total of 5,178 eligible articles were searched in databases and references. In general, wearing a mask was associated with a significantly reduced risk of COVID-19 infection (OR = 0.38, 95% CI: 0.21-0.69, I2 = 54.1%). For the healthcare workers group, masks were shown to have a reduced risk of infection by nearly 70%. Sensitivity analysis showed that the results were robust.

Conclusions​

The results of this systematic review and meta-analysis support the conclusion that wearing a mask could reduce the risk of COVID-19 infection. Robust randomized trials are needed in the future to better provide evidence for these interventions.

Face masks to prevent transmission of COVID-19: A systematic review and meta-analysis

ThreadMaster5

Like I said, the next 2 weeks could be the best weeks to visit IF all of the items above come to fruition. I'm still very concerned that they don't have the staffing to handle opening of all restaurants and ODV which makes me think mobile order will still be required for many locations.
They do not

Stevek

I’m going to Ralph’s to buy two things that can totally wait just to see what it feels like
My wife is heading out shopping now. I told her to keep her mask with her as who knows what the different stores might still require despite the lifting of the mandate. I have to venture out to Home Depot...our local one apparently stopped enforcing masks a couple weeks ago though I never noticed anyone without one.

ThreadMaster5

I didn't expect things to change on 6/15 though I do hope they ramp up staffing over the next month. Will be very interesting to see if they can staff up, I'm guessing it will be challenging for a while.

Problem is now its open so now they can start calling more, but it takes 3 weeks to get people back, so itll be a rough 3 weeks

SoCalDisneyLover

Yeah, the last 15 months have pretty well soured me on people in general. I don't think I'll ever have the same feelings towards my fellow man/woman again. Very depressing. I realize there are plenty who feel likewise about me, and that's just makes me even more depressed. But it is what it is, and I'll probably be a more self centered person going forward as well, except with those I care about and know are decent humans.

Californian Elitist

Yeah, the last 15 months have pretty well soured me on people in general. I don't think I'll ever have the same feelings towards my fellow man/woman again. Very depressing. I realize there are plenty who feel likewise about me, and that's just makes me even more depressed. But it is what it is, and I'll probably be a more self centered person going forward as well, except with those I care about and know are decent humans.
Plenty types of Americans have been disappointing me since pretty much forever and the pandemic just reiterated that.

Stevek

I think it's a mix and I'd call it that past 4+ years vs 15 months. I have been inspired by the bravery of our front line workers during the pandemic and those that have done what they can to be responsible as possible (you can choose your own definition of responsibility) and I'm excited about the concept of getting back to some level of normalcy. I'd be foolish to think that the past 15 months have taught us more about humanity and the importance of family but I'm hopeful that some people have come to that realization given the 600,000 Americans that are no longer here due to this pandemic.

SuddenStorm

I'm glad Disney has aligned themselves with the CDC guidelines about masks and distancing. The best way to return to normalcy is to follow the science- which clearly states it's okay for the vaccinated to not wear masks. And since this whole thing was about flattening the curve- which is about as flat as a curve is gonna get at this point, it's exciting to see Disneyland get that much closer to the before times.

Last edited:

RescueTheDay

I'm glad Disney has aligned themselves with the CDC guidelines about masks and distancing. The best way to return to normalcy is to follow the science- which clearly states it's okay for the vaccinated to not wear masks. And since this whole thing was about flattening the curve- which is about as flat as a curve is gonna get at this point, it's exciting to see Disneyland get that much closer to the before times.
Except we know those who are unvaccinated will be the first ones to rip off those mask when they shouldn’t be.

RescueTheDay

Here’s what LiveScience says…

Do face masks really reduce coronavirus spread? Experts have mixed answers.
And then, three paragraphs down….
The bottom line, experts say, is that masks might help keep people with COVID-19 from unknowingly passing along the virus. But the evidence for the efficacy of surgical or homemade masks is limited, and masks aren't the most important protection against the coronavirus.

Every website can be different it seems. Getting information off the internet for anything can occur like that.
Weird that you skipped over this part of the article you quoted, “A paper discussed below has been retracted by the journal the Annals of Internal Medicine. The authors wrote that their statistical methods could not determine whether the findings were reliable, making the results of the small study "uninterpretable." The study had found that surgical and cotton masks do not effectively contain viral droplets containing SARS-CoV-2. Subsequent research has suggested that face masks are an effective method for containing the spread of the virus, used along with staying six feet apart from other people.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom