News Disneyland modifies mask policy - UPDATE 7/28/21

mickEblu

Made a burrito run all the way to DTLA to grab some Sonoratown Chivichangas (excellent grilled shredded beef burritos with cheese and roasted tomatoes/ peppers) and I’d say about 30-40% of people were wearing masks at the restaurant and around DTLA.

Jefro

But you have to look at the whole pictures, in So cal suicides among the younger increased

Murder was up 25% and even higher increase in California

The list goes on and on.
Saying that this was directly related to the lockdowns is just bad data. Lots of other factors involved. Complicated issues need multitiered solutions.

Last edited:

el_super

But you have to look at the whole pictures, in So cal suicides among the younger increased

They have been for many years, not just during the pandemic. Which is a really great case for making mental health funding a priority. But my guess is that's not really the point you're trying to make.

What's even the point of trying to find the moral high ground now? What's happened has happened, and some of us are greatly thankful that the situation was handled the way it was. If you disagree with the pandemic response or the mask mandates, the system has a perfectly reasonable way for you to vote your displeasure and then go about your business.

TP2000

I think masks have become the equivalent of an adult security blanket for a lot of people. There are people out there vaccinated, healthy, sitting alone and wearing masks. They have the right to do so, but I think the world needs some serious therapy after this period of confusing and emotionally draining ever-changing conflicting reports of whether we're all going to die and which measures keep us safe or not.

I agree. There is obviously a big mental health component for many of these vaccinated folks who still want to wear a mask, or think they still need to wear one. I can be fairly sympathetic to that mental health component in this. 2020 was abominable for everyone.

And yet... at some point we all had to put away our blankie or our teddy bear and grow up.

I'll give 'em about two extra months here in California, since we were about the very last state in the union to remove mask requirements from public life yesterday.

Creating a list is supposed to help people not forget things. I don’t need a list, as I don’t forget.

Oh, good point! That makes me laugh, because I'm a crazy list person. I buy special stationery for grocery lists. I love lists! 🤣

TP2000

It’s a transition phase, give it a couple weeks and chances are you won’t see many. We got rid of our mask mandate May 13, the first week it was probably 75/25 with masks, week 2 was probably 50/50, week 3 probably 75/25 without, and now probably 90/10 without.

Agreed. I think it also depends on the environment.

Yesterday I ran all sorts of errands. Here in my little town of Villa Park, where we all know each other by at least a smile-and-nod if not a full on gossip fest in the frozen food aisle, the entirety of Ralph's Fresh Fare was maskless. The pharmacy/post office next door was also maskless.

But then I went down the hill into Orange and the big Target, and it was a mixed bag of about 50/50 masks to maskless. The Trader Joe's nearby was mostly maskless, but that's because Trader Joe's ditched the mask mandate a month ago when the CDC made their formal announcement, then Trader Joe's management refused to reverse itself when Sacramento was caught off guard by the CDC and tried to say that masks were still required until June 15th. I love Trader Joe's for having a backbone like that! 🥳

I think in the more anonymous suburbs and big shopping centers, it's going to take a few weeks for everyone to realize it's over and they can take off the mask.

It didn't help that at yesterday's big Reopening Ceremony hosted by Governor Newsom at Universal Studios that a bunch of the LA County government officials in attendance were all still wearing masks. Fully vaccinated. Outdoors. Wearing a mask. Uh... guys? What's your message again? Are we reopen or not? Is the vaccine safe, or isn't it? Because you look like a fool if you can't figure that out. :rolleyes:

TP2000

This front page story in the LA Times about some people not wanting to give up on masks is being discussed on the radio here in SoCal, and it's eye-rolling perfection that only the Times writers can create. It's mostly about LA County folks, obviously, but they found one person here in OC to interview. And it's a Disneyland CM.

Wil Thuston, who works in retail operations at Disneyland, feels bittersweet as restrictions are lifted.

“I’ve been cussed out and spat on for asking customers to wear masks, so it’s a relief to not police them anymore. But now there’s no way to know whether or not they’re vaccinated.” And he doesn’t expect everyone to stay six feet apart forever, but he’d at least like people to remain more spatially aware.

As a result of the anxiety and frustrations brought on by dealing with angry customers, he’s looking into job opportunities that would let him work remotely. “The desperation level for me to get out of my job now has amplified to where I submit an application multiple times a day,” he said. “I spend every single break and lunch at work job hunting.”

There's quite a bit to unpack there in young Mr. Thurston's comments. But suffice it to say it doesn't sound like he is cut out for customer service work, let alone working at Disneyland.

He had to have been hired at least by 2019, before the pandemic hit in suddenly in March, 2020. So he knows that it's only a matter of time before Main Street USA looks like this again. Daily. I bet it will happen on about Saturday, July 3rd.

I wish Mr. Thurston luck with his work-from-home job search. :oops:

ToTBellHop

This front page story in the LA Times about some people not wanting to give up on masks is being discussed on the radio here in SoCal, and it's eye-rolling perfection that only the Times writers can create. It's mostly about LA County folks, obviously, but they found one person here in OC to interview. And it's a Disneyland CM.

Wil Thuston, who works in retail operations at Disneyland, feels bittersweet as restrictions are lifted.

“I’ve been cussed out and spat on for asking customers to wear masks, so it’s a relief to not police them anymore. But now there’s no way to know whether or not they’re vaccinated.” And he doesn’t expect everyone to stay six feet apart forever, but he’d at least like people to remain more spatially aware.

As a result of the anxiety and frustrations brought on by dealing with angry customers, he’s looking into job opportunities that would let him work remotely. “The desperation level for me to get out of my job now has amplified to where I submit an application multiple times a day,” he said. “I spend every single break and lunch at work job hunting.”

There's quite a bit to unpack there in young Mr. Thurston's comments. But suffice it to say it doesn't sound like he is cut out for customer service work, let alone working at Disneyland.

He had to have been hired at least by 2019, before the pandemic hit in suddenly in March, 2020. So he knows that it's only a matter of time before Main Street USA looks like this again. Daily. I bet it will happen on about Saturday, July 3rd.

Not nearly enough balloons being purchased. Bob will be ticked off!

Tamandua

It didn't help that at yesterday's big Reopening Ceremony hosted by Governor Newsom at Universal Studios that a bunch of the LA County government officials in attendance were all still wearing masks. Fully vaccinated. Outdoors. Wearing a mask. Uh... guys? What's your message again? Are we reopen or not? Is the vaccine safe, or isn't it? Because you look like a fool if you can't figure that out. :rolleyes:
Wearing a mask is a political statement for some people. When the mask mandates started dropping around the country, I saw countless comments on the announcements from people saying some variation of "I'll keep wearing mine even though I'm vaccinated. I don't want to look like a republican." How do you reason with someone like that?

Tamandua

This is idiotic. Imagine finding Mr. Thuston's job application as a hiring manager, googling his name, and finding this article. Would you hire him? I wouldn't.

TP2000

This is idiotic. Imagine finding Mr. Thuston's job application as a hiring manager, googling his name, and finding this article. Would you hire him? I wouldn't.

Oh, good point.

Mr. Thurston's willing interview with the Los Angeles Times, including his adding his employer and thus painting them in an unflattering light (several other employees in the article declined to name their employer to protect their jobs and/or out of respect) seems to attach a red flag next to his name for hiring managers for at least the medium-term future.

But then, many young folks today rarely think about anyone but themselves and the immediate future. It boggles the mind to consider what he was thinking there.

I'm reminded of this hilarious SNL skit from a few weeks ago. Mr. Thurston is in the role of Ensign McKenna, "speaking her truth" to the Captain... 🤣

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Will Thuston shouldn't be working in a job where he encounters thousands of people from all over the world on a daily basis if he doesn't want to be around maskless germs. He had over a year to find a Safe job. If he's Vaxxed, which he should be, then what is he complaining about? I guess vaccines don't work? Maybe he heard that on CNN. To me, this goes deeper. Some of it is irrational fear, some of it is politicizing it and culture war BS, some of it is a want from the Mask Nazis for control. They want compliance. They see an unmasked person and they see untidiness in their universe. It's really insane. As soon as OSHA allows us Essential Frontline Workers who have kept the state of California working for the last year+ to officially go maskless, my mask will be gone. And I liked that mask. It had E.T. on it.

Tamandua

Will Thuston shouldn't be working in a job where he encounters thousands of people from all over the world on a daily basis if he doesn't want to be around maskless germs. He had over a year to find a Safe job. If he's Vaxxed, which he should be, then what is he complaining about? I guess vaccines don't work? Maybe he heard that on CNN. To me, this goes deeper. Some of it is irrational fear, some of it is politicizing it and culture war BS, some of it is a want from the Mask Nazis for control. They want compliance. They see an unmasked person and they see untidiness in their universe. It's really insane. As soon as OSHA allows us Essential Frontline Workers who have kept the state of California working for the last year+ to officially go maskless, my mask will be gone. And I liked that mask. It had E.T. on it.
I would wear a mask around E.T...especially when he turned all white. That was disgusting.

As for Will Thuston, he's hardly alone in voicing his dissatisfaction about having to go back to contributing to society after being supported by the rest of us who never stopped working. That's part of Disneyland that will probably never come back for me... The respect that I had for cast members. People like this guy and others really paint them in a bad light. It's unfortunate.

TP2000

I would wear a mask around E.T...especially when he turned all white. That was disgusting.

As for Will Thuston, he's hardly alone in voicing his dissatisfaction about having to go back to contributing to society after being supported by the rest of us who never stopped working. That's part of Disneyland that will probably never come back for me... The respect that I had for cast members. People like this guy and others really paint them in a bad light. It's unfortunate.

Check out his LinkedIn, it explains a lot.

I also realized I've been mis-spelling his name in my posts, calling him Mr. Thurston, with an 'r'. His surname has no 'r' in it.

I was probably just thinking of my old friend Thurston Howell III. 🧐

Last edited:

TP2000

Just went to the local Ralph’s and 90% of people are still wearing masks. I think it has less to do with people feeling unsafe and more to do with most people not doing well with change and/ or being followers that need to see other people doing something first.

Yeah, there's clearly a psychological component to this for many.

I've been going maskless everywhere since yesterday, and have been met with nothing but happy smiles, friendly chat, and wonderful customer service at all stores and restaurants. I think people are happy to see others blazing the way into the future. Or is it the past?

Are you vaccinated? Take off your mask. Respect the Science. You have nothing to fear but fear itself. Especially if you just got your teeth bleached in preparation for June 15th.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Just went to the local Ralph’s and 90% of people are still wearing masks. I think it has less to do with people feeling unsafe and more to do with most people not doing well with change and/ or being followers that need to see other people doing something first.
Clearly you don't know if some have underlying conditions while vaccinated or some are wearing because they are not vaccinated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom