News Disneyland Magic Key Program

CaptinEO

103,000 dream key holders. That means there's probably 1 million imagine key holders.

The plantiff only got 5 thousand out of it. How is that worth her time and effort?

Does the settlement say how Disney has to advertise this going forward?

mickEblu

Do they have the option to get creative or is sending a check to each annual pass holder the only option? For example, would they be allowed to offer the $67 as a discount towards Magic Key renewals/ purchases in addition to other incentives? Could take the sting out of the 67 million+ dollar loss.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
According to the Disneyland website, the Inspire Magic Key is no longer available for new purchases - only renewals are available.

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 12.06.55 PM.png

mickEblu

The sticking point wasn't that there were full reservation days, but that the APers' "bucket" was "full" and didn't allow any more AP reservations while the day-ticket "bucket" wasn't full and allowed non-APers to buy their way into the park while the APers were blocked from doing so.

The complaint had no argument against being blocked from reservations as long as everyone else was also blocked and the park was indeed at full capacity.

I just read the Micechat article. I didn’t realize the class members are only comprised of Dream Keys. If how you’ve framed the above is true that applied to all Magic Key tiers not just Dream Keys. As a Believe Key there were also days in late 2021 where I was not blocked out but could not get a reservation while they were still available for day ticket holders.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

I just read the Micechat article. I didn’t realize the class members are only comprised of Dream Keys. If how you’ve framed the above is true that applied to all Magic Key tiers not just Dream Keys. As a Believe Key there were also days in late 2021 where I was not blocked out but could not get a reservation while they were still available for day ticket holders.
I think because Dream Keys were advertised as "Zero Blockout Days Subject To Park Capacity" yet the park had open capacity some days but they were not allowed to make reservations.

mickEblu

[
I think because Dream Keys were advertised as "Zero Blockout Days Subject To Park Capacity" yet the park had open capacity some days but they were not allowed to make reservations.

Yeah that’s it.

Although by that logic, all 3 other tiers could probably also claim they did not get what they were promised assuming it still stated the same “Blackout days subject to park capacity” disclaimer in the contracts. Any Magic Key that wasn’t blocked out but could not go to the park while someone else could buy a ticket for the same day. It’s the same thing. Its just that the “zero blackouts” gives Dream Keys a stronger case.

Not that I care personally. I went to the park pretty much whenever I wanted. Just pointing out that there seems to be a flaw in the logic.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You sure that was the --specific-- language?

I need to review the actual complaint, but I believe it always said subject to reservations... but either way this settlement sucks and is only a win for the lawyers.

$70 back on a $1400 pass? lol.. not even enough for a single day ticket at DLR.

ETA: Here is the exhibit included with her complaint - not the language - it is not as you quoted
Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 3.17.26 PM.png

They didn't specifically link to park capacity. But I guess Disney felt it was better to pay out $10mil rather than try to fight California's consumer protection laws... over a matter they already moved on from by changing their language to be less ambiguous.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

The most interesting piece of this is getting a firm number on how many people bought a Dream key...

They sold Dream Keys in 2021 at $1399 x 103,435 - wait... how much money did they make from jut one level?!?! $144,705,565??

mickEblu

The most interesting piece of this is getting a firm number on how many people bought a Dream key...

They sold Dream Keys in 2021 at $1399 x 103,435 - wait... how much money did they make from jut one level?!?! $144,705,565??

Really a shame they couldn’t get those bridge pieces to fit. Lol

flynnibus

Premium Member

yeah but that's over a whole year too.. $144Mil sounds like a lot... but when they can charge $150/head and have lets say 30k people in the park... that's 4.5million in a single day...

But you can see why the AP teet is so sweet... a half billion in revenue just locked in....

Disney Analyst

yeah but that's over a whole year too.. $144Mil sounds like a lot... but when they can charge $150/head and have lets say 30k people in the park... that's 4.5million in a single day...

But you can see why the AP teet is so sweet... a half billion in revenue just locked in....

I mean, in the case of that particular key, Dream Key 2021, they sold it from August 2021-October 2021, at which point it was "sold out".

And since it was a new program, that should mean they earned that full 144 million in two months of sales, before anyone had even used the pass for a full year.

So basically, they got 144 million just like that... and could easily open a SAVE THE BRIDGE fund with a small portion 😭

flynnibus

Premium Member
I mean, in the case of that particular key, Dream Key 2021, they sold it from August 2021-October 2021, at which point it was "sold out".

And since it was a new program, that should mean they earned that full 144 million in two months of sales, before anyone had even used the pass for a full year.

So basically, they got 144 million just like that... and could easily open a SAVE THE BRIDGE fund with a small portion 😭
The full year comment is because that's how the company can recognize the revenue. They COLLECTED it in that short amount of time... but they don't get actually claim to EARN that revenue except over the term of the service.

CaptinEO

I need to review the actual complaint, but I believe it always said subject to reservations... but either way this settlement sucks and is only a win for the lawyers.

ETA: Here is the exhibit included with her complaint - not the language - it is not as you quoted
View attachment 741647

They didn't specifically link to park capacity. But I guess Disney felt it was better to pay out $10mil rather than try to fight California's consumer protection laws... over a matter they already moved on from by changing their language to be less ambiguous.
Thank you

mickEblu

View attachment 741647

Some guy named Loach in the Micechat article comments has a pretty interesting take (pasted below) It Offers an explanation that not only answers my question about why the other passes weren’t included in the lawsuit but explains how Disney may have orchestrated it because it was the only pass they want gone.

“As I mentioned below, it's all very suspect considering plenty of lawyers in the media brought up specific defects in the suit that they would personally use to have it dismissed with prejudice. Even reading the suit, it was rather doubtful and dubious that anyone who had the required Disney app, visited the Disney website to purchase the pass, and so forth would be somehow surprised about a reservation requirement. The funny thing is the legal arguments changed later and magically seemed to be more specific to only the Dream Key, yet the argument would undoubtedly be just as applicable to any other pass: the argument became about availability of reservations vs. paid tickets. All levels thus had the same issue, and if the lawsuit was well written and plaintiff had adequate counsel they could have easily sued on behalf of all passholders using the logic that whether their pass gave 150 days or 365 days of possible admission that the pass to ticket reservation ratios ripped off every customer at all levels as they couldn't possibly get the maximum days they paid for. So Disney obviously got the plaintiff into a position where the only class being represented was the class that bought the pass they wanted gone, and the minute the case was actually accepted to go to trial in the future they eliminated the 365 day pass "as a result" of the suit which makes no sense whatsoever especially if you're intending to defend yourself. Obviously they knew the damages would be minimal and the benefits massive.

As we've seen on Micechat, every time Disney has publicly discussed the reduction of pass benefits there is a massive outcry.

They used this suit to be able to blame the courts for removing the product they wanted so badly to remove anyway. There's no way they haven't already turned a fat profit just from last year alone if the settlement is only $7M.”

gerarar

Premium Member

Rather get a REBUILD THE DRAGON fund.

Heck they can do both..

Dare I say...
FIX THE MOVING FOUNTAINS fund lol

flynnibus

Premium Member
Some guy named Loach in the Micechat article comments has a pretty interesting take (pasted below) It Offers an explanation that not only answers my question about why the other passes weren’t included in the lawsuit but explains how Disney may have orchestrated it because it was the only pass they want gone.

I don't agree with his logic. The plantiff's angle is clear in their complaint. They hinged everything on the "no blockout dates" claim. The Dream pass is the only pass that made that claim. Their claim is entirely based on the interpretation of what "blockout dates" and "subject to availability" means. The focus on picking the Dream Pass BECAUSE of the "no blockout date" claim is central to her buying decision and claim to harm. Expanding it to all passes undermines these points.

In the complaint the plantiff paints any lack of availability as being 'blocked out' -- this is to tie the contention to the 'no blockout dates' claims. For instance:

"Specifically, on or about October 19, 2021, Ms. Nielsen attempted to use herDream Key to obtain an admission ticket to Disneyland in November 2021. The Disney website informed her that, for Dream Key pass holders, a total of seventeen days in November, including all weekend days, had been blocked out." (emphasis added)

Note they make the assertion that Dream Keys has been BLOCKED OUT. Not "ran out" or "no more capacity" -- These are very intentional wording choices to try to support the claim that Disney's claim was misleading because they claim Disney is blocking those dates instead of lack of availability.

Her entire case is based on that "no blockout dates" claim and it's interpretation... not the concept of reservations running out... even tho the latter is what Disney would argue.

They used this suit to be able to blame the courts for removing the product they wanted so badly to remove anyway. There's no way they haven't already turned a fat profit just from last year alone if the settlement is only $7M.”
Nah - people can put away the conspiracy theories. Disney just tried to have their cake and eat it to. To be coy with their language to try to avoid being called out about not having a no blockout pass anymore.. while still keeping the faucet controls to limit the passes' impact. The intent was clear as soon as people recognized the pool for passes was different. But under California's generous consumer protection laws... it becomes an argument what is a reasonable interpretation of the language and that is something subjective Disney could not really control. (and something Disney easily corrected afterwards).

But once it's a class action, it benefits Disney in that in one swoop it can gather up all these complaints and flush them together. They had already moved on... this is just a loose end for them to clean up.

The plantiffs are the losers here IMO... because it would have been impossible for them to really quantify how much damage the individuals would have faced (how many days did you try to goto, but couldn't due to lack of availability).. and Disney has a strong argument where it shows 'well you did use the pass, so you did get value from it' -- so it's not like they can easily say "Give me my $1399 back". So they settle for some pittance amount per claimant.

I'd be curious if the lawyers sought out the plantiff, or if she found them shopping. Because the 2.7 mil pot for lawyer fees is really the only one getting a significant amount. The plantiff gets 5k for fighting this for over a year? lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom