News Disneyland Magic Key Program

Vegas Disney Fan

Disneyland fans - treats park like a mall. Doesn't buy anything.

After reviewing my bank account , my GFs bank account, and asking our AP friends about their bank accounts…

IMG_0256.jpeg

mickEblu

After reviewing my bank account , my GFs bank account, and asking our AP friends about their bank accounts…

View attachment 709691

Not sure what happened but we’re spending at least 3x as much as we used to in the parks pre pandemic. The majority of that goes to food. I think it probably has to do with mobile ordering as well as well as some post pandemic pent up demand that may have ingrained itself as part of the new way we visit the parks. I also have to give some credit to Disney for stepping up the variety of their food as well as their marketing and how they have created more demand with seasonal food items.

We went from snacking a little bit to snacking plus at least 1-2 meals and much more table service than we used to. I gotta to back to grabbing some IN-N-OUT on the way to the park. Plus I don’t recommend anyone get to the park hungry. As AP’s we usually show up around lunch time and it’s annoying to have to worry about food as soon as you walk in. One of the dark sides of mobile order = more “convenience” = more of hassle for families who eat/ crave different things. It’s not uncommon for us to mobile order a Vegan Ronto wrap for my wife, mobile order Chicken nuggets for the kids from Stage Door and eat it all at Plaza Inn with my fried chicken. I feel like my Dad who used to complain that the family doesn’t gather around one TV anymore.

Wendy Pleakley

Of course passholders buy food and merch. Disney wouldn't sell heavily discounted admission if it didn't drive other spending.

Moreso in the past when passes were super cheap but even with current prices the same principle applies. Get people in the door with low monthly payment plans and sell them additional things.

This whole limited availability of passes is great marketing too. They don't even need to exercise. People will scoop up passes out of fear of missing out.

mickEblu

That Ronto Wrap would be ice cold after a 20-minute walk and ordering/paying for the chicken.

Well that’s what she gets for not eating Plaza Inn fried chicken or not eating anything with bones in general.

But it doesn’t take 20 minutes and we mobile order simultaneously. And she may or may not already have scarfed the thing down on the way back to Plaza Inn.

mickEblu

Glad I'm not the only one who's purchased a Ronto wrap and eaten it elsewhere. IMO it's among the better meal options in the park, but man is Galaxy's Edge an unpleasant space for sitting and eating. The tranquil, scenic views of Hungry Bear are just a short walk away.

Honestly, Hungry Bear is gem that I never eat at. Turn it into a BBQ restaurant and I’d be there every 2-3 trips.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Honestly, Hungry Bear is gem that I never eat at. Turn it into a BBQ restaurant and I’d be there every 2-3 trips.
Ha, I rarely order food there either; the chicken sandwich is among the park's lower-tier chicken options and in general I try to stay away from Disney's burgers. Could definitely use a menu plus-up.

But the northernmost part of the deck is such a peaceful space for eating and chatting, I've certainly brought over a Ronto wrap, beef skewer, or (RIP) lobster mac and cheese countless times.

mickEblu

Ha, I rarely order food there either; the chicken sandwich is among the park's lower-tier chicken options and in general I try to stay away from Disney's burgers. Could definitely use a menu plus-up.

But the northernmost part of the deck is such a peaceful space for eating and chatting, I've certainly brought over a Ronto wrap, beef skewer, or (RIP) lobster mac and cheese countless times.

RIP lower deck being on the water but it’s still a great spot. I was definitely not in favor of the PatF retheme there just for the off chance they tried to do something stupid there like enclosing it. Then again, judging by the French Market retheme, it doesn’t look like they would have done anything like that.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Not surprising - those were the two that sold out before as well.

If you don't need parking included regularly (i.e. you carpool or Uber or bus there), those passes are solid choices.

Vegas Disney Fan

Do we know if they released more Keys or were they just reselling the ones that didn’t renew?

The AP calendar has been quite a bit better this year than last year, weekends still sell out but at least they do it a month in advance rather than 3 months in advance. I’m hoping we don’t ever get back to that point where you have to make reservations 3 months in advance again.

CaptinEO

It seems stupid to me to limit these but not raise prices, from a business point of view.

If they only need x number of keys to fill in the parks on certain days that need them, why not raise the prices to meet demand?

Clearly there is a lot of demand and a limited supply of these things if they sell out in hours.

It's lost money if the company doesn't raise prices. Does no one at Disney understand the rules of supply and demand?

Nirya

I mean, the most expensive option and the cheapest options are both still available, so I'm not sure a price increase would necessarily work here. If we were to follow the rules of supply and demand, we'd also need to lower the Inspire key costs because they have excess supply compared to demand.

You can't raise the price of the cheaper Believe and Enchant keys without also raising the price of the Inspire key, unless you want to give those two keys more perks to compensate which seems the opposite of what Disney normally would do. The better option from a business standpoint, which is the one Disney seems to be doing, is to limit the number of those passes available to push people towards the more expensive option, thus artificially creating demand and increasing their profits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom