News Disneyland Magic Key Program

fctiger

My opinion is I think APs complicate the pricing of Disneyland. They are unnecessary and the park should just scale ticket prices with demand. What ends up happening is ticket prices get inflated as a way to upsell the "cheap cost" of an annual pass. Not sure who wins here.

Disneyland I also feel has plenty of demand to sustain visits without having to resort to 400 dollar weekday "pack them in" passes. The day guests end up suffering if they visit during any of the days the low end economy passes are allowed.

One of things I was actually hoping for IF Disney was really going to do away with the APs is just give people the chance to buy park hoppers in blocks. That seems to be the second popular idea for people other than APs themselves. I personally would prefer that, like buying 10-20 PH in bulk, but the catch is you can use them ANYTIME (with maybe some limits). I have had an AP 7 times in my life, twice the most expensive one and I have never used any of them past maybe 12-15 times a year. The average is about 10. I don't have the energy to go more than that lol. But I love the flexibility of just being able to go when I want. The new program you don't have the SAME flexibility but it still seems fine to me. And I do think it will stop a lot of people like you from getting it because it doesn't have that same flexibility as before.

But your last sentence still confuse me a bit. Because I don't think Disney expects to sell as many as before. And since it IS a reservation system then maybe they won't be packing them in as before. That's why I was so confused on your initial post to me because it sounded like you DID want to pack them in again if you don't want the reservation system.

We'll wait and see. Maybe they are serious about curtailing the crowds. Maybe there will be a cap of how many APs they sell. I am thinking about getting another but I'm going to wait a month or so after to see how it goes. But even if they never came back, yeah, I would live. We all would. ;)

Rich T

Fair enough! I'm certainly not trying to run you off of course. But I will admit, I read your posts and I start to feel depressed lol. But you still love it, I GET it! I guess it just bothered me when you kind of criticized my post (and you WEREN'T criticizing me) because there are fans who are still super excited about the place and you seem to be implying they shouldn't love it as much as they do. That just rubbed me the wrong way. And maybe it shouldn't, you're just expressing your opinion. But you do this a lot.

And I'm not criticizing your issues with Disney. Clearly you're not alone on that front lol. Anyway, sorry if I came off a little strong. I just reacted. If you are happy here and it brings you joy interreacting with others, then that's great and all that matters. I hope no hard feelings!
No hard feelings ever here! And if something I post irks you, by all means please reply and give your view. That kind of discussion is why we’re all here. :)

fctiger

No hard feelings ever here! And if something I post irks you, by all means please reply and give your view. That kind of discussion is why we’re all here. :)

Thanks for being so reasonable about all of this! I wasn't trying to offend of course and you never say anything offensive. I just reacted. So we'll just move on!

aaronml

Two main things I’m not happy about here:

1. Needing to reserve both parks on a given day (rather than only needing to reserve the park you start in, like for normal ticket guests) in order to park hop.

2. Cards made of paper instead of plastic, and only available upon request at a cost of $20?! This makes no sense to me. What if your phone dies? What about if you need to redeem your AP/MK discount at a table-service restaurant…. Do you give the server your phone to take it back and scan the barcode on their POS system? For the price of these passes, a plastic card is more than reasonable. This is just TDA being cheap, even for modern TWDC standards.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Most of these passes (for weekends) have a very high visit count to break even. I'm sure many lose money on passes or visit more than they would
like to just to "break even".
My Disney addiction must be showing because I don’t even consider the break even point for the Dream pass (14 single park days or 9 park hopper days) a moderate visit count. I’d consider 1 day a month very sparse use for an AP holder, most my AP friends probably average closer to once a week.

As an out of stater who comes for weekends my break even point is 3 weekends a year, that makes even the most expensive pass a steal since I average 6-9 weekends most years.

fctiger

1. Needing to reserve both parks on a given day (rather than only needing to reserve the park you start in, like for normal ticket guests) in order to park hop.

2. Cards made of paper instead of plastic, and only available upon request at a cost of $20?! This makes no sense to me. What if your phone dies? What about if you need to redeem your AP/MK discount at a table-service restaurant…. Do you give the server your phone to take it back and scan the barcode on their POS system? For the price of these passes, a plastic card is more than reasonable. This is just TDA being cheap, even for modern TWDC standards.

1. Actually that may not be ture I been watching this Youtube vlog called Five Fires, I don't know if you heard of it, but the guy who runs it literally went to DL today to talk about all the questions dealing with the new pass and that was the biggest mix up because he thought the same thing. But the CM told him it's literally like how it works with the park hoppers now. You pick whatever park you want to go to first (or whatever is left) and then at 1:00 you can just park hop to the other. But then another guy who he does these videos with says it may still be true and she is wrong. Now that I confused you for no reason lol, it may NOT be true. Eitherway it will probably be cleared up soon.

2. I hear you on this one too. We're all dependent on our phones more than ever, especially at Disneyland. But thats also the problem, you have your phone on ALL day and some battery can just die after a few hours. My only guess is what they will do will give you a paper ticket at the turnstyle to use that day. Thats what they been giving people with PH when they show up, that's why it's paper because you probably get a new one on each visit. I don't know why they can't just give APs plastic cards like before other than being cheap. And maybe its a Covid thing, they just don't want CMs touching the card and want them to scan the phone as much as possible. Again just throwing something out there.

Last edited:

Ryan120420

Here is a chart to see just how many days someone needs to visit just to break even with their Magic Key.

EXCEL_ivrtB1uITa.png

Disstevefan1

OK. I am starting a list of good things about the new DLR Dream key -
Same price as the old AP.
Technically no blackout dates.
Residents can still do payments.
Ahmmm..... that's it....
I need a fact check - I heard only Southern California residents (zip codes 90000 to 93599) can do payments? The rest must pay in full?

lazyboy97o

I’ve discovered one constant in my several years following Disney message boards… every time Disney changes anything, whether it be prices, rides, blackout dates, fireworks, hours, shows, etc, etc etc there’s people who claim they’ve reached their breaking point and they’re never going back… maybe some follow through on that threat but judging by the ever growing park attendance I seriously doubt it. For parks that “suck” they sure are popular.
But how much of that visitation is the same people coming over and over again? That Magic Key is essential the Annual Passes, complete with a very cheap options, suggestions Disney has realized they need these frequent visitors to fill up the parks.

Kingoglow

I have every right to not like reservations. Don't tell me I can't complain about it. I like just being able to show up. I'd go maybe once a month at most. I don't always know my plans 3 months in advance.

Multiple people here don't like the idea of reservations, it's a completely valid complaint. If it's only because of covid, I get it, hopefully we can get some normalcy when the pandemic ends.

Disney should sell me the option to not make reservations.

This entitlement is what they want to weed out.

Kingoglow

Yes I am the one that wanted them to completely end, still do. 100%. Same goes for fastpass I hope it never returns.

However, since now they are back and introduced, that is our current playing field. It is lame to not have a tier to visit without reservation.

Talking with my wife and we'd rather just get a ticket once or twice a year. We're probably getting too old/busy for monthly visits.

Perhaps you can just pay for a day pass at the gate. There is your no reservation option.

mightynine

I don't think park reservations will ever go away. If I remember correctly, FP/MP was used to help with staffing the attractions based on attendance levels, I imagine park reservations are being used in the same way. Especially if FP/MP becomes a day-of purchase rather than something that was decided 90-days out.

Why would you give up that info if you're Disney Park Ops?

Last edited:

Kingoglow

Haven't you heard? Plastic is bad. Buy your own reuseable sleeve.

el_super

I can’t argue against any of this other than to say the new program only works if reservations are readily available and easy to get. If people struggle to get reservations in the first year they won’t renew and the program will fail spectacularly in year two. I have to believe that Disney understands this and will either limit the number of passes sold to avoid this scenario or they are not worried about capacity being reached in the first place.

Even if they limit the number sold, you still end up with angry ex-passholders. If they limit the reservations in a significant way, they will end up with angry passholders. The only scenario I see where the passholders aren't put off en mass, is providing the same level of access as before, which Disney has said is unsustainable.

I said there was a certain kind of brilliance behind this announcement, but it underlies this uneasy feeling over presenting something that is so similar and familar, while also demanding on the side that the same system cannot continue. Disney is either lying to their shareholders, or misrepresenting this new program, and which one is more likely to be true?

You won't need to hold two reservations to visit both parks on a single day. At least, not at first.

If it follows along with what the park hoppers worked, there will be a block of reservations available for each day in four different flavors:
  • Park Hopper: Disneyland First
  • Park Hopper: DCA First
  • Disneyland Only
  • DCA Only

So it follows that, if you don't snag a Park Hopper reservation, or don't want to be forced to go to DCA first, you will be locked into a single park for the whole visit.

This though, can all be changed as this language alludes to:

Magic Key holders who have a park reservation for both parks must enter the first park as designated in their park reservation prior to visiting the other park. At this time, a park reservation is not required after visiting the first park; however, reservation requirements are subject to change. Please note that the ability to visit the other park will be subject to that park’s capacity limitations.​

Californian Elitist

OK gotcha.

But you know what I mean. If you are still coming on message boards hours at a time, you're not taking a break. Mentally you're very much still involved. Again, that's peoples right but if you are so cynical about it, then maybe just take time from ALL of it. Find a new hobby for awhile. Use all that time on Disney message boards and put energy somewhere else IF you are as tired of it as you claim to be. I'm just speaking common sense. In the end people should do what they feel and I'm not trying to run anyone off the boards lol.
Hm, I disagree. We can put energy both into talking about the parks and doing something else. I started traveling internationally in 2017. I’ve hit seven countries since then, about to be eight this Monday when I fly to Costa Rica (granted, it’s for work, but it counts lol). I’ve picked up learning Italian and have visited other states, too. How do you know we don’t have other hobbies and are not doing other things?

I’m not seeing the correlation.

Californian Elitist

Just curious, what public transportation would this be? (As someone who may or may not need be moving to LA...)
One could take the 460 out there, but from the Downtown Los Angeles area, it’s a 2.5-3 hour bus ride, which is exhausting (I’ve done it many times). Another option is to take the Metrolink from Union Station in Los Angeles to Anaheim and then take a Lyft/Uber from the Anaheim station. Overall, that takes about an hour, which is great. However, the last train heading back to Union Station from Anaheim leaves at like 7pm, which is early.

If you don’t have a car, it’s best to just take a Lyft/Uber. There really is no convenient public transportation to Disneyland like there is to Universal.

aaronml

Haven't you heard? Plastic is bad. Buy your own reuseable sleeve.
For a piece of a paper? Credit cards are plastic. Hotel room keys are plastic. All WDW tickets are made of plastic (by necessity because they are RFID-based). The Disneyland tickets you can buy at a Safeway store (in the gift card section) are plastic. Zero excuse for Disney doing anything less than that for their new AP program.

lazyboy97o

Perhaps you can just pay for a day pass at the gate. There is your no reservation option.
You’re assuming that will always be an option. Disney has been trying to move to as many advanced purchases as possible and now have practice with doing all reservations.

CaptinEO

This entitlement is what they want to weed out.
Same cost for less benefits. Not entitlement to express disappointment in this.

No more photopass and no more freedom to visit.

Friends would just hit me up and ask to go sometimes the night before.

Sometimes my wife and I would have weekend plans cancelled and would turn it into a Disneyland day.

For people that already plan each visit months in advance, this pass is great for them. For myself, this pass doesn't work for my interests.

I can't imagine I was the only person who would visit on a day's notice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom