Disneyland (for those who haven't been)

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Yes, you'll probably be more comfortable at Disneyland. :animwink:

Main Street USA is the same length at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom, but the street is slightly wider at Magic Kingdom and the buildings aren't neccesarily taller, but they have big and wide awnings built out over the sidewalks to help protect the Magic Kingdom sidewalks from the Florida rain and bad weather. At Disneyland, the sidewalks are wide open and the awnings are mainly decorative and there for theme instead of protection.

Compare The Emporium at Disneyland...

dlemporium4.jpg

To The Emporium at Magic Kingdom...

EmporiumExt.jpg

Same size overall, but the Magic Kingdom added big awnings to protect the sidewalk from the rain. It gives the structure a more massive scale.

I have never seen a side by side comparison like that and now I totally understand what you are saying. I can't wait to visit the parallel universe known as DL in July.

Wilt Dasney

For the record, from what I read about Walt, if he were still alive, he would have become totally bored of Disneyland by the early 1970s and moved on to other things. In fact, he was already moving on to Epcot in his thinking and pulling away from Disneyland by 1966. If he were somehow still in good health in 2010, he would probably be trying to build a moon base or something by now.
This I agree with completely. Walt was already getting bored with theme parks by the time he started working on WDW. We'll never know what his next move would have been, but I feel pretty confident that it wouldn't have been adding more theme parks to WDW and copying the Disneyland-style park in Japan, France and China.

(Personally, I remain convinced that E.P.C.O.T. thing might have eaten him alive and that his untimely death might have been one of the best things that could have happened, as far as his "undefeated" reputation goes.)

puntagordabob

You may not agree with me...but I have read it and heard this on several occasions...here is but one example. I suppose we will never have a definitive answer since Walt is no long with us, but it is safe to say he loved this attraction very much and it was HIS attraction (W.E.D.)...

Anyways, the Enchanted Tiki Room is my all time favorite attraction.....I was "enchanted" by it when I saw it for the first time in the fall of 1971.... We all have a memory of our first Magical Disney Moment and The Tropical Serenade at WDW is mine... I understand the Tech that makes everything function, But still to me Jose and his flock are alive and friends who I have cherished since I was FOUR years of age calling out excitedly: "TIKI BIRDS!".... at 42 years of age (43 in April) I still feel a strong loving connection to this particular show, and its inhabitants.

-----------
Often Walt Disney would come and enjoy the show for himself. He would talk to guests, by asking "so . . .what did you think of those birds?, that rain scene is something, huh." Many people believe this was one of Walt Disney's favorite Disneyland attraction. This was one of the last projects Walt contributed to in the park. - http://www.justdisney.com/Features/Tiki_Room/

----

Interesting Tiki Room article I found recently says a lot when comparing the two... http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200911/1524/

TP2000

I have never seen a side by side comparison like that and now I totally understand what you are saying. I can't wait to visit the parallel universe known as DL in July.

The side-by-sides are fun. And when you start paying attention, you realize a great deal of the mass and bulk found at Magic Kingdom buildings is from coverings and alterations to buildings to make them nicer to be around in heavy Florida rain.

The Main Street USA Train Depot is another good example. The railroads at both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are the exact same scale (3 Foot Gauge), and their locomotives, rolling stock, and facilities are mostly identically sized and scaled.

At Disneyland the Main Street depot sits up on a little hill, just sort of perched up there in the open air with very little thought given to protecting people from rain or inclement weather.

496618583_f2479cae5a.jpg

At Magic Kingdom, the depot sits up on a stone platform that has visitor facilities built underneath in a protected arcade, and then has large wrought iron arcades and broad iron awnings extending out front and along side the station building itself. The depot building is very similarly scaled and sized to the Disneyland version, but the huge arcades and awnings built for weather protection really make the facility look rather hulking and massive in comparison.

Two very different looks for similarly sized buildings that do the exact same thing in both parks; service 5 car passenger trains on identical 3 foot gauge railroads.

888.jpg

Jimmy Thick

Magic Kingdom is a more majestic version of Disneyland. They both have appeal and die-hards, so it a never ending argument.

Disneylands Pirates is better, and they have Club 33, which is spectacular.

But comparing everything, MK will always come out on top.

_Scar

You can't see ToT from inside DL. And you can't see SM from DCA :wave:

and for the record, DCA has bigger walkways and smaller crowds (until WoC comes along) so some days it feels bigger than DL.

DL park is smaller than MK, but it's not that small :lol:

I used to se picutres all the time of Space from DCA and ToT from Disneyland... and I can't imagine they were shopped :lol:

Is DCA feeling bigger because it's empty a good thing? :lookaroun

I guess I will have to just see for myself.

captainkidd

Just my opinion (having never been to Disneyland), but I think Disney purposely left out certain attractions at the Magic Kingdom. If they had the same attractions that DL has, would there be any reason for the casual tourist to ever bother going to DL?

We're going to DL because we love Disney and are fans of Walt. We also love dark rides. And heck, we're curious. But we're not going in with large expectations. No place is like WDW. It truly is a world unto itself. The Magic Kingdom is my favorite park, but at the same time, I wouldn't skip Epcot or Animal Kingdom for anything. I love the resorts. I love Downtown Disney. I love the water parks. I know I'll love Disneyland Park, but I also can tell I won't care for DCA. The rides hold no appeal to me with the exception of maybe Caifornia Screamin' and the Tower of Terror.

captainkidd

There was an Imagineer on the original Travel Channel airing of WDW Behind The Scenes who I think said it best when comparing the 2 Magic Kingdoms:

"I think of the one in California as charming, and the one in Florida as spectacular."

flyer31

I have been to WDW a few times and I am taking my first trip to Disneyland in April. I am really looking forward to seeing the origional. I won't, or at least I hope I don't compare the two as they are two different parks.

sponono88

I used to se picutres all the time of Space from DCA and ToT from Disneyland... and I can't imagine they were shopped :lol:

You're able to see the opposite park when you're at the main entrance gates, but once you're inside the actual park you're not able to see ToT.. or SM for that matter.

I didn't say DCA was empty. In fact, the park has been so busy they've had to extend park hours lately.

Wilt Dasney

But comparing everything, MK will always come out on top.
I think this thread is the first time I've ever seen this opinion expressed, so far by you and the OP.

I'm sure most people would say WDW beats DLR resort to resort, but MK beating DL park to park is a new one on me.

draybook

Well, I can't really say which is better because the last time I was at DL was 1992. Of course I loved it and I grew up going there until I moved away at the age of 14. I've only been to WDW twice now but it was pretty nice. I vaguely remember the DL Pirates but I would say that it was better there than the shortened WDW version. This new Tiki room stinks and is just above Stitches Escape. I do love the WDW Haunted Mansion but my childhood memories of DL's version are what I really love. I don't think I'd like the holiday layover though.

I might be going out there this summer so maybe I can get a better viewpoint then.

Krack2

I wrote this a couple months ago. I feel it gives a fair assessment of the differences between the two parks.

I won't get into Resort vs. Resort, but having lived in both areas, I feel pretty comfortable discussing the Magic Kingdom vs. Disneyland. They are both, obviously, great ... but I prefer Disneyland. Here's why:

Adventureland:

* Original Tiki Room show
* Indiana Jones is the best ride in either park and fits in thematically perfectly.
* The Flying Carpets take away from the immersive experience of MK's Adventureland, in my opinion. It ruins the atmosphere.

New Orleans Square:

* Pirates is far better.
* The Blue Bayou is the best restaurant experience in either park.

Frontierland:

* Fantasmic in DL is a better experience than DHS, imo.

Fantasyland:

* The "castle stone" facades are much, much better.
* No roof on the tea cups greatly improves the experience, particularly at night.
* Mr. Toad still exists.
* Matterhorn - nothing comparable in MK.
* The subs still exist, even though they've been Nemo-ized.
* IASW facade is beautiful and iconic. The outdoor load area adds to the experience.

Tomorrowland:

* The Space Mountain ride is better. The ride vehicles are much more comfortable. However, it's 2nd floor outdoor queue detracts from the exterior appearance of the building, imo.
* The "live music venue" aspect of the Tomorrowland Terrace (particularly when you get a fun cover band) - nothing comparable in MK.

Main Street USA:
* The stores have not completely been "Emporium-ized" yet. It's not one big store the entire length of Main Street. Adds greatly to the atmosphere.
* The Grand Canyon/Primeval World Diorama has no comparison in MK.
* I can't speak for the new fireworks, but Remember Dreams Come True was the best fireworks show either park has ever seen. I'm actually shocked they changed it already.
* During the day (particularly in the summer), there are less people and far, far less stollers and motorized carts.

Admittedly, the Magic Kingdom is better in many aspects:
* Most importantly, it's just so much bigger. On a crowded day, Disneyland can make you clostrophobic because you have people packed right on top of you.
* The Pirates queue is far better.
* The Haunted Mansion seems grander because of it's location inside the park.
* Country Bears
* The Hall of Presidents is much better than Moments with Mr. Lincoln.
* I'd call Liberty Square vs. New Orleans Square a tie on themeing.
* The castle is much larger and nicer.
* Tomorrowland actually looks like it has a cohesive theme.
* TTA is up and running
* The Rocket Jets look impressive because of where it's located.
* You don't have people camping out for Fantasmic two hours before it starts and causing massive traffic congestion for the whole west side of the park.
* Similarly, you won't get completely trampled at the conclusion of the fireworks.
* While it doesn't even exist in MK, Star Tours in DHS has much nicer exterior themeing than the one in Disneyland.

As has been pointed out, Resort vs. Resort, there's no comparison. DCA isn't even half as nice as DHS. And there's nothing to compare with Epcot or AK. No waterparks, only one premium themed resort hotel, no golf courses. The monorail is mostly a novelty, instead of intrical to the resort transportation. And most importantly, you can't just get on property and forget about the outside world for a week - you're always going to know you're in the middle of the city (there's not enough separation from the outside, the city is right on top of you).

Little Green Men

I know that you can see SM, the Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mt. etc, from the ferris wheel at DCA.

TP2000

I know that you can see SM, the Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mt. etc, from the ferris wheel at DCA.

Yes, from the top of Mickey's Fun Wheel you can see the Matterhorn, Space Mt., Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, the Small World spires, etc.

It's generally thought of as a fun thing, and a pleasant view.

192366956_48796a8e7a.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom