Disneyland (for those who haven't been)

puntagordabob

milewis78

I was just there last June on a Wed thru Sat trip. I felt like I booked way too much time for both parks. If you are staying on property and can get extra magic hours then you can do DL in a day, especially if you fastpass. I was not in love with California Adventure but you could also do that in a day(maybe less, depending on the wait for Toy Story).

For what it is worth with the extra magic hours I was able to do the following rides in 3.5 hours(this is the order which I did them in): Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Dumbo, Mr Toad, Pinnochio, Storybook boatride, Small World, Roger Rabbit, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh, Pirates, Indy(Fast Pass), and Jungle Cruise.

Then I just fast passed for the rest of the day and wandered about. I will suggest staying for their Fantasmic and fireworks show.

Mickey_777

Do you find MK a full day park during a light crowd?

If yes, then yes, DL is. It's got more attractions than MK.

For MK it depends...but I see what you guys are saying. I also have to factor that i haven't been to DL since I was 8 and I'm the kind of guy that loves all the details that go into a Park. I'll probably add another 1/2 day for DL along with 1/2 a day at DCA 'cause I'm not sure when I'll be making it back out to Cali...thanks for your input everyone :animwink:

musketeer

If you've ever had a dream where you were in your own house, or someplace familiar, but it looked nothing like what it does in reality, that's exactly what walking in Disneyland is like. There's a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, and Adventureland, but their not where they should be, or don't look like what you know.

This is hilarious, because this is almost EXACTLY how I described it on my first and only visit to Disneyland. I compared it to a dream where you were somehwere famaliar, but not really.

Krack2

(For those of you that have been to DL) Given the size of DL, is it a full day park if the crowds are relatively light?

Full day park? There's probably more rides/attractions than in the Magic Kingdom - they are just packed closer together. DCA is a 1/2 day park (if that), and I can't believe it's any better with all the construction going on.

Skipper Dan

Original Poster
If you've ever had a dream where you were in your own house, or someplace familiar, but it looked nothing like what it does in reality, that's exactly what walking in Disneyland is like. There's a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, and Adventureland, but their not where they should be, or don't look like what you know.

This is hilarious, because this is almost EXACTLY how I described it on my first and only visit to Disneyland. I compared it to a dream where you were somehwere famaliar, but not really.

THANK YOU FOR RECOGNIZING THE REASON I MADE THIS THREAD! :sohappy:

TP2000

Full day park? There's probably more rides/attractions than in the Magic Kingdom - they are just packed closer together.

There's over a dozen more attractions at Disneyland compared to Magic Kingdom, including several big E and D Ticket attractions missing from Magic Kingdom or WDW entirely. The list...

Magic Kingdom Park - 38 Attractions

E Tickets - 8
D Tickets - 10
C Tickets - 6
B Tickets - 8
A Tickets - 6

Disneyland Park - 54 Attractions

E Tickets - 12
D Tickets - 12
C Tickets - 10
B Tickets - 12
A Tickets - 8

For those wondering, I counted attractions similarly between both parks; Mark Twain Riverboat at Disneyland is a D Ticket, so Liberty Belle Riverboat at Magic Kingdom is a D Ticket, etc. And I didn't count inaccurate "attractions" that they try to pawn off as such in the guidemaps, like the Frontierland Shootin' Arcade in Disneyland, or City Hall and Town Square Exposition Hall in Magic Kingdom. I only counted attractions where you get in a ride vehicle and travel somewhere, or major theater attractions/animatronic shows or walk-throughs like Adventureland's various versions of a Treehouse and Fantasyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle Tour.

dshimel

Some time ago I took a trip to Italy. I'm walking through a museum in Florence and there is this cool marble statue. I stop and read the plackard. It is a 16th century reproduction of a classic Greek.

I find myself thinking, what? This isn't orginal, it is a knock-off.

Wait... a 500 year OLD copy.

Does Disneyland have problems? Of course. Walt didn't have the cash to buy thousands of acres of land.

No one had done a MK, so didn't know what problems. When they did MK, they knew to do a circular parade route, they knew to have cast walkways under the park. They had the money to do it right.

Does DL have flaws? Sure. For gawd's sake, you have to leave frontier land, go through New Orleans, and into Critter Country to get to the canoes, a Frontierland attractions...

Were they fixed in MK? Most.

But, MK is still just a knock off. An EXCELLENT knock off, but knock-off none the less.

As for which is the "flagship".

Ride count, DL wins hands down. Indy, Matterhorn, subs, Star Tours, Toad, original Tiki Room instead of aweful New Management. Okay, that is partially offset by Country Bear, Carousel of Progress, and Swiss Family.

Size of the castle, WDW wins.

So, in colclusion, if you like originals instead of knock-offs... if you like a big castle instead of rides... well then I guess MK is for you.

I like the original. I like the ride count.

Mostly I just like the 6 hour car ride for $100 gas instead of 5 hour flight for $1200+.(family of 4)

dshimel

I was just there last June on a Wed thru Sat trip. I felt like I booked way too much time for both parks. If you are staying on property and can get extra magic hours then you can do DL in a day, especially if you fastpass.

If you are a WDW regular, IF you arrive early and make the most of FASTPASS, if you are looking to do each attraction one time....

then, sure, you can probably do DL in a day. Heck, probably do both parks in a day.

But, heck, given those "if"s, I could probably do all of WDW in 2 days.

disneysroyal411

Size of the castle, WDW wins.

So, in colclusion, if you like originals instead of knock-offs... if you like a big castle instead of rides... well then I guess MK is for you.

I like the original. I like the ride count.

Mostly I just like the 6 hour car ride for $100 gas instead of 5 hour flight for $1200+.(family of 4)

Ummm... Well the castles are two different castles plus there is an attraction inside Disneyland's castle while at MK there is a restaurant that is, to me, fabulous. I don't think that comparing the castles is fair for they are both unique in their own fashion.

As for the ride count. Don't get me wrong, Disneyland wins hands down because the Matterhorn is my favorite all time Disney mountain. It is also a classic because it was my first better remembered Disney Mountain(Splash at Disneyland being my first).

Pongo

This was the most important thing the OP said.
Sure, there are a ton of hotels withing walking distance that are much cheaper. And as a So Cal local, I stay in them from time to time.

But the experience doesn't come close to the one staying at the Grand Californian or the Disneyland Hotel (and to a lesser extent, Paradise Pier).
These resort's location right next to Downtown Disney gives an immersive experience that helps make up for DLR's much smaller size compared to WDW.

If you're gonna make a special trip to the Disneyland Resort, and you can swing it financially, STAY ON DISNEY PROPERTY!

This... is... not right in my mind. The hotel I stayed at during my trip to DLR was closer than any of the on-property hotels (barring the Grand Californian, which is inside a park). I felt plenty immersed. Besides, all we used the hotel for was sleeping, anyway. Why pay an arm and a leg just for a bed even if you CAN afford it?

I know that you can see SM, the Matterhorn, Big Thunder Mt. etc, from the ferris wheel at DCA.

You can see everything from the Fun Wheel... which is kind of the point :lol:

(For those of you that have been to DL) Given the size of DL, is it a full day park if the crowds are relatively light?

God, yes. It's like a two-and-a-half day park under ANY conditions.

DisneyNut2007

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN! Iago needs to go BYE BYE! The Disneyland Tiki Room is far superior the Under New Management show we are stuck with at the moment....

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

Iago is staying forever and you know that!

You know you love the new management show deep down and find both shows to be great and very fun and entertaining, so swallow your pride and admit it at once and stop acting like such a selfish jerk!

WDW needs the DLR version...

No, it does not!

The original show was too unpopular at WDW to remain there (and, no, the Internet fanboys including yourself are NOT the majority)!

Give Jose back his show!

It was never technically "Jose's" show, so stop annoying the rest of us with such idiocies!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom