Disneyland (for those who haven't been)

Skipper Dan

Original Poster
So a recent thread inspired me to "put my two cents in."

Last year, I made a last minute decision to go to the D23 Expo, and while I was there, I visited Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure. I'll go ahead and just describe the Disneyland park for you.

It's the original Disney park and the only one Walt ever visited, and for that you have to cherish it, but in my opinion, that's a justification. If you've ever had a dream where you were in your own house, or someplace familiar, but it looked nothing like what it does in reality, that's exactly what walking in Disneyland is like. There's a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, and Adventureland, but their not where they should be, or don't look like what you know. I did enjoy being there though, but in my opinion Magic Kingdom is far superior. Magic Kingdom's structures and details are on a massive scale, it's layout in much more perfected, and did I mention that it's structures and details are on a massive scale? When it comes to Disneyland, I'm pretty sure that if I were to run and jump onto a springboard, I could jump onto the roofs of Main Street. Saying that it's "quainter" is just another justification. Walt would have made Sleeping Beauty's castle as large as the one in the new Walt Disney Pictures' logo if he could have.

I'll say this, Disneyland does have the best Disney attraction ever created (unless there's one internationally), and that is the Indiana Jones Adventure. You could slap that thing beside Dinosaur and it wouldn't matter. They are two completely different attractions. There's no way that you could ever tell the layout's the same, and the fact that they use the same ride vehicle is just a stupid excuse. Just because the Haunted Mansion uses the Omnimover system, isn't preventing WDI from using it with the new Little Mermaid attraction.

To conclude my little rant I'll leave you with this thought. I had a "discussion" with a Disneyland purist while there, and he was talking about how Magic Kingdom had let him down. He's argument was this, "... well, we're the original and we're still the same." I told him that that was my point. He got nervous when I quoted Walt, "... the one thing I love about my park from my movies, is that it'll never be finished." Once Walt made his movies, they were done. But his park would never be the same. If Walt was here, I firmly believe even he would like Magic Kingdom better... and he'd be p----d that his original park is not the "flagship" park. He'd tear it down and start over.

Anyway, I want everyone to know that if you get a chance to go to Disneyland, I do recommend it. I'll go back eventually. Just STAY ON PROPERTY!

If you have any questions, just ask... :wave:

Oh, and if you miss the old Tiki Room, go out there. Once you watch the original show, you'll beg for Iago. I sat there like this: :lookaroun thinking, "I use to love this show."

hrcollectibles

Sounds cool. I am actually looking into taking my first trip to Disneyland this year. I would like to stay on property but when I did a price quote it was over 2,000 and that did not include park tickets. I did however did a quote with one of the good neightbor hotels, the Howard Johnsons, which is appaerntyl right across the street and it was 1,000 and included a 5 day park hopper. That and I believe they offer a shuttle that takes you to Universal....

Avenger117

Thanks, that was a great post. The comparisons between the two are always interesting. I plan on making it out to Disneyland at some point in the next ten years to see for myself! I was surprised you said Indiana Jones was the best Disney attraction.

kap91

Basically the only thing I agree with is what you said about Indy, and I'll leave it at that.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly...although I'm not even sure I agree with that...I'm a tad partial to Dinosaur myself. Everyone can have their own opinion though...I really don't want to turn this into a Disneyland/ Magic Kingdom fight though (and I hope this post doesn't do that). So, I'll stop while I'm ahead.

rsoxguy

I have enough refreshments for all.

smiley-eatdrink033.gif
smiley-eatdrink062.gif
smiley-eatdrink031.gif
smiley-eatdrink028.gif

Wilt Dasney

Sheesh, everybody expects a fight but nobody wants to actually say anything! :lol:

A few of my thoughts:

* The statement that DL is "the same" (as it was when it opened?) strikes me as odd and a strange opening to the Walt quote about change. DL has undergone (and still is undergoing) massive changes since 1955. It's no more the same place today as WDW was when it opened. So I just don't get that exchange.

* Unlike being at WDW, staying on property isn't a big deal at all, unless you just want one of those nice hotels or want to be able to look out your window at DTD or DCA. There are numerous hotels within a quick walk of DLR that are much cheaper than the three DL hotels.

* I actually agree about the Tiki Room. The only charm I could find there was in its continuity with the past. Other than the opening song and the tiki gods, it's pretty dull!

* The stuff about using the scale of the structures in MK as a basis for its superiority to DL...eh, that's different strokes for different folks, I guess. It's nothing an argument can settle, but I do disagree. With a couple of exceptions (inferior Splash Mt., no CBJ), I found DL more enjoyable than MK in every way. The size of the park was at worst a neutral factor and at best, a plus since the park is very compact and easy to navigate without sacrificing anything (IMO).

But to each their own. I hope to see a lot more of DL in the future, so if some people prefer MK, that's fewer crowds to deal with. :lol:

ryno1982

I'll agree that there are parts of Disneyland that are almost embarrassing because of how small everything is. But the place still has more detail and charm than the majority of the Magic Kingdom. Fantasyland and New Orleans Square are perfect examples. It's possible to have the best of both worlds- charm and grandeur and it's called Disneyland Paris. :animwink:

Skipper Dan

Original Poster
What did you think of Fantasyland? How about Fantasmic? PotC? Blue Bayou? Matterhorn? Main Street's shop diversity?

I've always tried to prevent Disney newcomers from having a "Chucky Cheese perception" of Disney, and I've always found "our" Fantasyland to be the hardest place to do that. It has always appeared cheesy to me (get the pun?) Disneyland's Fantasyland design was great.

Everyone had always told me that Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean was incredible, and I think I just expected more, because it didn't live up to the hype. The cave scenes where absolutely beautiful, and I'll never understand why it wasn't obvious to the Imagineers to include that portion in the Magic Kingdom's version. If we had their caves, we'd have the superior attraction. (Our Capt. Jack's are better too. But mainly because I don't think audio animatronics should be observed from a close distance, and the finale Jack was WAY too close. They lose their realism when their close.)

The Blue Bayou was absolutely beautiful.

I never have really liked riding Space Mountain because I am 6'5, I always feel I have to hunker down, and so the ride is really ruff anyway and me stiffening my body makes my neck and back hurt. The Matterhorn was VERY much like our Space Mountain, so therefore I didn't really enjoy it that much. Glad I rode it though.

Their Main Street has a shop diversity? :lookaroun :lol: :lookaroun

I will say this as well (and most people disagree with me), I've always loved Big Thunder, but it's never been a favorite. In Disneyland, it's one of my favorite attractions. :sohappy:

_Scar

I'm going to Disneyland next year, but I'm afraid the smallness might get to me. That it might not be quaint, but just mini (mainly DCA)

I absolutely LOVE the feeling of everything being so separate in WDW. Like the 30 minute journey from parking lot to monorail to the gates of MK makes it feel like you're in a completely new world. And that goes to every park too. Everything feels like its own space.

From seeing pics, it looks as though DCA and DL are connected at the hip and that from each park you can see other things pop up like the ToT in DL and Space Mountain in DCA.

Expo_Seeker40

Just my two cents (BTW these two cents are the new 2010 Lincoln penny with the shield on the back :lol:)

What makes the MK better:

Man-made lagoon infront of the park, "the blessing of size", the themed hotels, ferrys, and boats.

Cinderella Castle

A generally wider park

We still have an evening parade in the park (even though DL's MSEP is coming back to the MK again)

Our tomorrowland still as a peoplemover, rocket jets on top of the peoplemover platform, and we still have the CoP after it made a brief stop at Disneyland

Our "it's a small world" is character free, and has a flooded floor.

Our HM is way better than DL's....along with our Splash Mountain

What Disneyland does better:

Mark Twain and Sailingship Columbia

Still has canoes on the rivers of america

an overall better space mountain

a Fantasmic that is far better than the one in DHS

a much better POTC

a longer "it's a small world", with outdoor load/unload, giant clock tower (though I don't care for the character infestation)

a Main Street USA that hasn't completely become one big Emporium

Sleek monorails (though they have their own issues at the moment)

Matterhorn

Mr. Toad

Submarine Voyage

Original Tiki Room

Indiana Jones

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I've always tried to prevent Disney newcomers from having a "Chucky Cheese perception" of Disney, and I've always found "our" Fantasyland to be the hardest place to do that. It has always appeared cheesy to me (get the pun?) Disneyland's Fantasyland design was great.

Everyone had always told me that Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean was incredible, and I think I just expected more, because it didn't live up to the hype. The cave scenes where absolutely beautiful, and I'll never understand why it wasn't obvious to the Imagineers to include that portion in the Magic Kingdom's version. If we had their caves, we'd have the superior attraction. (Our Capt. Jack's are better too. But mainly because I don't think audio animatronics should be observed from a close distance, and the finale Jack was WAY too close. They lose their realism when their close.)

The Blue Bayou was absolutely beautiful.

I never have really liked riding Space Mountain because I am 6'5, I always feel I have to hunker down, and so the ride is really ruff anyway and me stiffening my body makes my neck and back hurt. The Matterhorn was VERY much like our Space Mountain, so therefore I didn't really enjoy it that much. Glad I rode it though.

Their Main Street has a shop diversity? :lookaroun :lol: :lookaroun

I will say this as well (and most people disagree with me), I've always loved Big Thunder, but it's never been a favorite. In Disneyland, it's one of my favorite attractions. :sohappy:

Well of course you think the DL buildings are too short! You are really tall! :lol: I am only 5'2 so I am sure they will seem perfectly normal to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom