News Disneyland Files Permit to Renovate Upper Level of Starcade at Space Mountain

TwilightZone

Just in:

BLD2018-01689Electrical for Disney - DLR Rocket Rods ATS Replacement near Tomorrowland.
I wonder what ATS stands for?
If I am wrong and they are repurposing the track, the name rocket rods being used gives me little hope that the replacement would be the people mover for some reason. I'm thinking the disney of new would totally bring back rocket rods, or a rocket rods like attraction in the spot. But I could be wrong.

britain

I wonder what ATS stands for?
If I am wrong and they are repurposing the track, the name rocket rods being used gives me little hope that the replacement would be the people mover for some reason. I'm thinking the disney of new would totally bring back rocket rods, or a rocket rods like attraction in the spot. But I could be wrong.

I wonder if rocket rods storage area was anywhere near the starcade?

NobodyElse

Likely, this is referring to an Automatic Transfer Switch.

(Unless these guys have something to say about it...)
1524271466543.png

:)

When it comes to Tomorrowland, I've grown up with the Theme being "space fantasy" with some edutainment aspects + autopia. While the gripes that the forums have are legitimate, I do like the attraction lineup of Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Frankly, I consider Frontierland (Thunder Mountain + Rivers of America) and Adventureland (space-confined) to be weaker lands.

When looking at an aerial photograph of Disneyland's Tomorrowland, I marvel at how they manage to fit so much in such a small space. For instance, I don't think the ride system for Star Tours is going anywhere. Sandwiched between the Plaza Inn, Star Traders, and Space Mountain. The simulators and its queue fit like a glove. Since the ride system is adaptable, I could see them telling a different story, but I wouldn't mind if the ride system stays.

In terms of the PeopleMover, I could see them getting rid of the station and the track that moves to the station to increase right of way, but there is no reason why the track can't directly be bridged between Star Tours and Buzz Lightyear's Astroblasters as a sort of "kinetic welcome" that set's the tone for Tomorrowland. Either way, I feel that the segment of track between Space Mountain and Star War's Launch Bay would make an excellent alternative location for a station. That portion of the building is fairly large and with some work could still house a restaurant. Personally, I prefer the PeopleMover concept (utilizing the linear induction or some other system) as it is a high capacity attraction with no height limit, and bolsters the variety of attractions at Disneyland. Although, I am intrigued by the shelved concept of the more thrilling Tron Lightcycles.

In terms of the Magic Eye Theater, its placement has always been a bit awkward, but it has its use. My family utilizes it at as a filler attraction between fast passes. The Magic Eye Theater, Pizza Port restaurant, and Star Wars Launch Bay together create a considerable parcel of real estate. Obviously (as fans of the parks), we all hope that Disney takes a longterm view of this area when it reworks Tomorrowland. Since this is Disneyland's only 3D theater, I could see them building Mickey's PhilharMagic in Toontown's Five and Dime or in Clarabelle's eatery and the adjacent access road near Minnie's house to maintain attraction variety. I'm told that 3D movies are relatively cheap to build and operate.

What do you folks think?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think Tomorrowland is the worst land in the park. It is incohesive and ugly, and I haven’t the slightest clue as to how Frontierland and Adventureland could be seen as weaker.

I think he was speaking in terms of attraction line-up. His argument I believe is TL has more attractions per sqft versus the other lands mentioned which in his opinion makes it stronger.

TwilightZone

When it comes to Tomorrowland, I've grown up with the Theme being "space fantasy" with some edutainment aspects + autopia. While the gripes that the forums have are legitimate, I do like the attraction lineup of Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Frankly, I consider Frontierland (Thunder Mountain + Rivers of America) and Adventureland (space-confined) to be weaker lands.

When looking at an aerial photograph of Disneyland's Tomorrowland, I marvel at how they manage to fit so much in such a small space. For instance, I don't think the ride system for Star Tours is going anywhere. Sandwiched between the Plaza Inn, Star Traders, and Space Mountain. The simulators and its queue fit like a glove. Since the ride system is adaptable, I could see them telling a different story, but I wouldn't mind if the ride system stays.

In terms of the PeopleMover, I could see them getting rid of the station and the track that moves to the station to increase right of way, but there is no reason why the track can't directly be bridged between Star Tours and Buzz Lightyear's Astroblasters as a sort of "kinetic welcome" that set's the tone for Tomorrowland. Either way, I feel that the segment of track between Space Mountain and Star War's Launch Bay would make an excellent alternative location for a station. That portion of the building is fairly large and with some work could still house a restaurant. Personally, I prefer the PeopleMover concept (utilizing the linear induction or some other system) as it is a high capacity attraction with no height limit, and bolsters the variety of attractions at Disneyland. Although, I am intrigued by the shelved concept of the more thrilling Tron Lightcycles.

In terms of the Magic Eye Theater, its placement has always been a bit awkward, but it has its use. My family utilizes it at as a filler attraction between fast passes. The Magic Eye Theater, Pizza Port restaurant, and Star Wars Launch Bay together create a considerable parcel of real estate. Obviously (as fans of the parks), we all hope that Disney takes a longterm view of this area when it reworks Tomorrowland. Since this is Disneyland's only 3D theater, I could see them building Mickey's PhilharMagic in Toontown's Five and Dime or in Clarabelle's eatery and the adjacent access road near Minnie's house to maintain attraction variety. I'm told that 3D movies are relatively cheap to build and operate.

What do you folks think?
1. the simulators should stay, I agree with that. I think lilo and stitch or maybe even treasure planet would be a perfect replacement if disney doesn't do the marvel route. which I don't think they will due to marvel land, but I could be wrong.
2. Tomorrowland has enough restaurants as is, I'd say disney should fix the meals those restaurants have before building a new one because both tomorrowland restaurants are awful.
3. Magic eye should not be a new 3D theater. The 3D theater model is dated and doesn't bring in enough guests. I think it should be a new simulator or finally bringing back alien encounter to where it should have been in the first place would be a good idea.

Some thoughts I have about other buildings:
1. A new dark ride where buzz is should happen after pixar pier opens. I think they should keep the shooting aspect, but make it more high tech, have as little screens as possible to differentiate itself from midway mania. Maybe stitch fits this role better than for the simulators, but I still like the simulator idea. Or something unique.
2. The speedway needs electric cars or has to go.
3. I love the subs, so I would actually keep, but make a new unique plot, maybe of an alien sea or something.
4. Something needs to replace the innoventions building, the two stories are unique and in my mind, I can easily imagine a new imagination ride being there. The lower story can be the ride and the upper story being the imageworks. That is, if imagination isn't placed in marvel land (remember figment comic and he already has a cameo in mission breakout, it's not too far out there).

TROR

Weaker lands as in there less to do? Sure, but quantity is not how I judge things. The Mark Twain is a better attraction than anything currently in Tomorrowland save for Space Mountain but Big Thunder is superior to that.

1. the simulators should stay, I agree with that. I think lilo and stitch or maybe even treasure planet would be a perfect replacement if disney doesn't do the marvel route. which I don't think they will due to marvel land, but I could be wrong.
Honestly, I think Lilo and Stitch as well as Treasure Planet would be some of the worst things they could add to Tomorrowland. With Treasure Planet it continues the same ugly bronze, steampunk look of '98 and with Lilo and Stitch, those movies are set on modern day Earth. I think the lack of popularity that those films have now, however, is enough to assume that they won't get any attention in a new Tomorrowland. I do agree that we likely won't see any Marvel for the same reasons, though, which greatly excites me. Same with Star Wars.

2. Tomorrowland has enough restaurants as is, I'd say disney should fix the meals those restaurants have before building a new one because both tomorrowland restaurants are awful.
3. Magic eye should not be a new 3D theater. The 3D theater model is dated and doesn't bring in enough guests. I think it should be a new simulator or finally bringing back alien encounter to where it should have been in the first place would be a good idea.

Agreed with 1 1/2 points. Definitely do not want another simulator and as intriguing as Alien Encounter is to me, and I do think it'd fit better in Disneyland than it ever did at Magic Kingdom, I'd like to see something new in Tomorrowland. It's the same reason I'm opposed to bringing in an updated ATIS or an updated People Mover. I wouldn't complain if they revived Alien Encounter (or the People Mover, for that matter) in a new Tomorrowland, but for the fact it has a pedophile in it I don't think it'll happen. Then again, they brought back Captain EO...

Personally, something I've always wanted to see in Tomorrowland was an indoor thrill ride like Journey to the Center of the Earth in Tokyo but you're in the caverns of a mining operation on an asteroid. It'd start out normal but then you notice alien goo and eggs on the walls and eventually you come face to face with the monster alien who laid them.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I'm telling you, Seabase Delta is the way to go for an autopia/subs replacement. The subs become transportation to Seabase Delta. Live fish are used. You exit the subs and enter the base. Here you can ride the Aquacoaster through underwater tubes or take a mine car ride inside the underwater active volcano.

DanielBB8

Zero chance they’ll replace Buzz Lightyear ride. It doesn’t conflict with Pixar Pier.

If they remove the People Mover tracks, they should remove Innoventions and build a new structure on the backside of Tomorrowland to house a fine new restaurant to replace the pizza restaurant. We can keep dreaming.

Phroobar

You build a new up to date version of Horizons where the Innoventions building is now. The old Space Place restaurant and Pizza Port become a large orbiting space restaurant complete with sit down tables and waiters and droids. The EO theater is removed and turned into outdoor stage. Space Mountain queue moves into the Starcade with special effects preshow. Both floors are used.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Kind of surreal to see "Rocket Rods" turn up in a permit.

No kidding. Although the queue was changed and re-imagined as an attraction, my guess is they never officially changed the name of the platform / RR's attraction. Electrical could be either removal of delicate equipment or implementation correct? I really don't know. But If they were removing the tracks, why would they put in more things?

SSG

No kidding. Although the queue was changed and re-imagined as an attraction, my guess is they never officially changed the name of the platform / RR's attraction. Electrical could be either removal of delicate equipment or implementation correct? I really don't know. But If they were removing the tracks, why would they put in more things?
Sure, if the tracks are coming down, the permit could be to remove and relocate the equipment.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Mr. Chapek, tear down these remains of TL98!

Is it sad to say that I really do miss Rocket Rods? As a kid it was my favorite ride. I only got to do it maybe 2-3 times but still. It could've worked and it could've been greater if they spent a little more money on it.

Sure, if the tracks are coming down, the permit could be to remove and relocate the equipment.

I'm starting to get excited. Space Mountain is the only thing I don't want them to change and it seems that they're giving it some love with the indoor queue while changing the hopeless parts of TL.

SuddenStorm

Is it sad to say that I really do miss Rocket Rods? As a kid it was my favorite ride. I only got to do it maybe 2-3 times but still. It could've worked and it could've been greater if they spent a little more money on it.

In an interview, Tony Baxter says that it was originally designed to have four times the budget it got. Banked turns, nicer vehicles, the works.

Sometimes, it's better to spend more money upfront instead of going cheap- and that's a lesson Disney had to learn the hard way between Tomorrowland '98 and DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom