News Disneyland Files Permit to Renovate Upper Level of Starcade at Space Mountain

TROR

If my memory serve me right, the section of the People Mover track that went through Star Tours was removed when they revamped the ride. I believe the section that ran through Astro Blasters was also removed but I'm not sure if it was when they built Astro Blasters or if it was later. I would assume the former but I'm not certain.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That'd ruin the sightline by blocking space mountain. Itd also likely hurt the forced perspective and make space mountain look smaller. I'd rather have them move the Astro orbitor back to it's old place, just ground level with the removal of the people mover platform.

Well if the goal is to free up as much of the walkway area of TL then having an attraction right in the middle wouldn't help. But I can see your point. I just don't know how much it would actually ruin sightlines vs adding some kinetic energy.

Anyways, we'll see how it plays out it seems very soon.

180º

The old peoplemover tower isn’t such a problem for crowds. The worst is the narrowness in between the Star Tours and Astro Blasters entrances. I suggest opening up Star Tours’ extended queue room to the street and shoving the entrance far back in there, maybe taking over some of Star Traders for more queue space and expanding the store into the Starcade. On the other side of the street, rip out the fastpass machines and do roughly the same to Astro Blasters. Sinking the attraction entrances into the buildings will get all those annoying things that come with attraction entrances, like guests standing around for no reason, out of the path.

On the subject of improving crowd flow for SWGE, let’s not forget about the rumored widening of the NOS riverfront walkways.

FerretAfros

A (secondhand but reliable) source familiar with this project said that it has a rather sizeable budget. They didn't say anything specific, but I expect this will be a lot more than replacing light bulbs, dusting off the old X-wing, and setting up some switchback ropes. As with all recent WDI projects, I'm sure the end result will be nice, but perhaps not quite worth the massive cost.

They're expecting that this will be the first step toward a complete Tomorrowland overhaul, circa 2021. That will include considering whether to keep/modify or scrap Autopia, the Subs, and PeopleMover track (which apparently hasn't been decided yet) and how to proceed in those areas.

They also said that as a result of the overwhelmingly negative reactions, they're reevaluating whether to keep the tarp over the Pizza Port sign or replace it with something more befitting of a premiere destination. It's unfortunate that they ever thought it was actually a good idea

Last edited:

britain

A (secondhand but reliable) source familiar with this project said that it has a rather sizeable budget. They didn't say anything specific, but I expect this will be a lot more than replacing light bulbs, dusting off the old X-wing, and setting up some switchback ropes. As with all recent WDI projects, I'm sure the end result will be nice, but perhaps not quite worth the massive cost.

This will be interesting to see. I don't think we've ever seen an interior queue area for Space Mt that isn't "off planet". (Not counting Paris.) I doubt they'd do anything "look! you're in a space station" when you'll then leave this overflow queue to the outdoor deck. Maybe it will be some sort of futuristic mission control area.

I'm glad that it will be more than just setting up queue ropes in the room.

Stevek

They also said that as a result of the overwhelmingly negative reactions, they're reevaluating whether to keep the tarp over the Pizza Port sign or replace it with something more befitting of a premiere destination. It's unfortunate that they ever thought it was actually a good idea
Premiere destination as in Disneyland or Premiere destination as in Pizza Planet/Port? The latter, hardly premiere.

Stevek

If my memory serve me right, the section of the People Mover track that went through Star Tours was removed when they revamped the ride. I believe the section that ran through Astro Blasters was also removed but I'm not sure if it was when they built Astro Blasters or if it was later. I would assume the former but I'm not certain.
I thought I read that they specifically left the track going through Astro Blasters "just in case." I had not heard about the ST portion being removed but it's possible.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

They're expecting that this will be the first step toward a complete Tomorrowland overhaul, circa 2021. That will include considering whether to keep/modify or scrap Autopia, the Subs, and PeopleMover track (which apparently hasn't been decided yet) and how to proceed in those areas.

At this point, since I think it's very clear the PM won't be back, remove the tracks, remove the rocks, remove the observatron platform. Open up TL as much as possible.

The only other thing I'd want would be to leave the observatron platform and move the rockets back up there...but that won't happen.

Thank you @FerretAfros for the update.

If they can invest in and reinforce the people mover tracks, i'd much rather them remake a rocket rods with banked turns. If that's not possible i'll be sad to see everything removed but will understand. They could use the observatron as a good space for something else. Do you all know why that show was turned off? I haven't seen it move in years.

From what i'm hearing so far, i'm actually excited for a Tomorrowland renovation. I hope it stays in line with original themeing standards such as the new restaurant they're putting in by Jungle Cruise.

As for the Pizza Port tarp, that's a huge facepalm sight.

mickEblu

Hmmm this makes me less confident on a complete TL overhaul. From your description it sounds like the Buzz and Star Tours building stay intact. I think many of us were hoping for a complete demo of everything except Space. This sounds like at least a part of Autopia and Subs go for something new. Innoventions May or May not be torn down. I’d put my money on NOT.

TwilightZone

People complain that disney isn't using the people mover track, but when it seems like disney might actually do something with them, even if that something is demolition, it's complained about?
The people mover removal is way overdue, and I'm sure disney is doing it, not for crowd flow, but because of these complaints.

DanielBB8

People Mover tracks have to go at minimum before Star Wars GE opens. People will wonder why Tomorrowland looks like a dump while the other area gets a spectacular addition. The Rocket Jets platform needs to go too.

Californian Elitist

People complain that disney isn't using the people mover track, but when it seems like disney might actually do something with them, even if that something is demolition, it's complained about?
The people mover removal is way overdue, and I'm sure disney is doing it, not for crowd flow, but because of these complaints.

I must have missed it. Who here is has expressed contempt about the removal of the tracks?

SuddenStorm

It's because we don't want the tracks gone, or vacant- we want them used. That's the best possible solution.

TwilightZone

It's because we don't want the tracks gone, or vacant- we want them used. That's the best possible solution.
Yeah, I want them used too, but if they are really that unsafe, I wouldn't expect disney to want to reuse them, or even rebuild them. Wouldn't a rebuilt people mover have a ton of ladders supposedly? I would imagine that would be both an expensive and crowded mess.

nevol

I don't want them to spend millions to revive the people mover, as that would lock us into the current tomorrowland layout and infrastructure for another 20 years. Look at subs: 150 million dollars to revive the subs. Now they have autopia, subs, and monorail tracks to concern themselves with when they renovate the land. People mover ties all of those buildings together on the other side of tomorrowland when frankly, the only one that should be safe from demolition is Space Mountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom