News Disneyland Files Permit to Renovate Upper Level of Starcade at Space Mountain

SuddenStorm

Zero chance they’ll replace Buzz Lightyear ride. It doesn’t conflict with Pixar Pier.

If they remove the People Mover tracks, they should remove Innoventions and build a new structure on the backside of Tomorrowland to house a fine new restaurant to replace the pizza restaurant. We can keep dreaming.

There's no space behind Tomorrowland. There's literally the railroad, berm, than Harbor Blvd.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
In an interview, Tony Baxter says that it was originally designed to have four times the budget it got. Banked turns, nicer vehicles, the works.

Sometimes, it's better to spend more money upfront instead of going cheap- and that's a lesson Disney had to learn the hard way between Tomorrowland '98 and DCA.

That is so frustrating to hear. Unbelievable.

Ismael Flores

Even though a nice restaurant is needed in tomorrowland I don’t think wasting the huge innoventions pad on I e is the best choice.
That should be used for a good high capacity attraction.

The eatery would be great if they built it in place of the magic eye theater. If they were to gut the whole area and either removed the added roof or change it to a nice glass retro roof the area would be big enough for a nice themed space sit down restaurant.

At the same time integrate a walk up window that just sells pizza, hotdogs and salads. Perfect place for this Costco style walk up window would be the existing wall and overflow queue area for the magic eye theater closest to water ball.

Now that we got the new eatery in place, tear down everything from pizza planet to autopia and start from scratch with new structures and some nice attractions.
Between the autopia pad, innoventions they can easily add to nice large attractions and where the pizza planet is I clueing the backside seating area and the huge walkways and asked space behind it they can even add a nice family darkride

Rich T

In an interview, Tony Baxter says that it was originally designed to have four times the budget it got. Banked turns, nicer vehicles, the works.

Sometimes, it's better to spend more money upfront instead of going cheap- and that's a lesson Disney had to learn the hard way between Tomorrowland '98 and DCA.
It's a shame they've already forgotten what they learned. Pixar Pier, everybody! Wheeeee!

DanielBB8

Even though a nice restaurant is needed in tomorrowland I don’t think wasting the huge innoventions pad on I e is the best choice.
That should be used for a good high capacity attraction.

The eatery would be great if they built it in place of the magic eye theater. If they were to gut the whole area and either removed the added roof or change it to a nice glass retro roof the area would be big enough for a nice themed space sit down restaurant.

At the same time integrate a walk up window that just sells pizza, hotdogs and salads. Perfect place for this Costco style walk up window would be the existing wall and overflow queue area for the magic eye theater closest to water ball.

Now that we got the new eatery in place, tear down everything from pizza planet to autopia and start from scratch with new structures and some nice attractions.
Between the autopia pad, innoventions they can easily add to nice large attractions and where the pizza planet is I clueing the backside seating area and the huge walkways and asked space behind it they can even add a nice family darkride
I wouldn’t say it’s a waste to have a nice new restaurant for anything good requires a decent amount of space for the kitchen and seating. Second, a replacement building will have to be at least 3 stories tall that could include retail and space for attractions whether it’s a queue line leading to another major attraction or space for a smaller dark ride. Create Tron with a queue and loading line in the new building and another attractions building where Autopia is at will be the best approach. Probably mix the two attractions together with Autopia on the first level.

Replace Galactic Grill with the new entertainment stage and put Astro Orbitor on the roof. New flooring and seating with dining table facing west. Less sun in your eyes. Add a new quick service restaurant off of the theater to order to go.

D

Deleted member 107043

Or you go back to the drawing board and design something awesome within the budget given. My impression, which should be taken with a grain of salt obviously, is that Tomorrowland '98, much like Pixar Pier, was a misguided vanity project driven by a single individual.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

Or you go back to the drawing board and design something awesome within the budget given. My impression, which should be taken with a grain of salt obviously, is that Tomorrowland '98, much like Pixar Pier, was a misguided vanity project driven by a single individual.

I agree with you both. Looking back at it Rocket Rods had massive potential and failed in many areas. It's absolutely possible that the cause was both lack of budget and lazy imagineering. The fact of the matter is; the ride was a maintenance nightmare, the tracks and supports were showing alarming signs of wear / tear, and Disney has everyone to blame for utterly destroying a beloved Tomorrowland feature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom