Disneyland Fantasmic Dragon Engulfed in Flames

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, okay. But it was 1992. People were wearing acid washed jeans in public, the Internet didn't exist, gas was 79 cents per gallon, I was throwing my vote away on Perot, and there were over 3,000 Blockbuster Video stores in the USA.

You can't really judge a 1992 theme park show based on 2024 expectations. Hell, you can't even get an employee to wear pleated khaki pants to work any more, let alone be perky in those pleated khakis! So Fantasmic! '92 should get a pass.

If you want to get technical the "Internet" as we know it today was invented in 1989 when the world wide web was invented at CERN, but just wasn't widely used until 1993 as there wasn't a lot of websites until then since the code wasn't public. I had my first AOL account in 1992, ah the good old days of dial-up. I think I still have my first modem around here somewhere in a box.

Last edited:

Mikomike12

Here's a look at more footage from Fantasmic!.

Looks like they removed the screen that was above the Cabin, Good. It was always super blurry and hard to make out the image for some reason even from the beginning. I think the flying carpet sequence was removed aswell? could be wrong, would be a shame I liked that addition

gerarar

Premium Member
Here's a look at more footage from Fantasmic!.

Some noticeable parts...

New comets and mimes after Mickey defeats Malificient (on a lift).
1000011933.gif

I feel like this is somewhat dangerous since the pyro shoots directly upwards. Any misfire or wind could hit the actor. However am confident they have the safety measures in place...hopefully..

Tuxedo Mickey has new choreography at the very end. He no longer "laughs" by putting his hands on his mouth.
1000011934.gif

Dislike this change. Why can't they just let the choreography be the way it is. Always has to be changed (for the worst imo)..

This is what it looked like before:
1000011939.gif

Last edited:

Mikomike12

Some noticeable parts...

View attachment 787358
I feel like this is somewhat dangerous since the pyro shoots directly upwards. Any misfire or wind could hit the actor. However am confident they have the safety measures in place...hopefully..

Tuxedo Mickey has new choreography at the very end. He no longer "laughs" by putting his hands on his mouth.View attachment 787359
Dislike this change. Why can't they just let the choreography be the way it is. Always has to be changed (for the worst imo)..
I mean to your first point, she also literally comes up from a huge flame of fire which can be felt from the waterfront, so I think the pyro shooting up is nothing compared to that lol

UniversalIsMid98

In the Parks
Yes
List of reasons Disneyland Fantasmic 2.0 is bad:
1. Obviously no dragon, (really just B Mode with some updated fire?)
2. No evil queen which transformation
3. Mickey appearing too early
4. Mickey appearing in his sorcerer outfit WAY too early.
5. Pirates replacing Peter Pan Thankfully reversed
6. Mickey talking to the magic mirror
7. Mickey "ooo" and "aaaa"
8. The removal of Snow White
9. New soundtrack
That's all I can think of for now.

List of reasons DHS is bad :
1. Amphitheater, Could be good or bad depending on who you ask. Good for seating but bad for not having as much "magic" as the show just appearing in the middle of the park
2. Not as many stunts and performers
3. No pirate ship
4. No mark twain
5. Dragon on a stick (still better than current DL solution)
6. Villains sections goes on a little too long imo.
7. Bubbles scene? Maybe I'm sure it's really all that bad, the music is nice.
7.5. The bubble scene was unchanged
8. Kept Pocahontas while having fan favorites more popular like Hercules and Mirabel reduced to brief cameos on the projected water screen during the hero scene :(

gerarar

Premium Member
I mean to your first point, she also literally comes up from a huge flame of fire which can be felt from the waterfront, so I think the pyro shooting up is nothing compared to that lol
That's true, but I'm pretty sure the actor would usually cover their face with their fire retardant cape to protect themselves from the heat. And then reveal themselves after the flames die down.

However with the pyro, no way to really prepare for that if a misfire happens. But just like how Mickey's hand pyro gets shut off when it becomes windy, I'd imagine the same precaution measures be taken here as well.

Disney Analyst

That's true, but I'm pretty sure the actor would usually cover their face with their fire retardant cape to protect themselves from the heat. And then reveal themselves after the flames die down.

However with the pyro, no way to really prepare for that if a misfire happens. But just like how Mickey's hand pyro gets shut off when it becomes windy, I'd imagine the same precaution measures be taken here as well.

I'd also think the pyro is probably further forward than it appears, and likely each mortar is slightly tilted at angle, away from the performer. Combined with using relatively short, quick flash pyro, I think there is minimal risk.

My amateur drawing... not to scale.

Drawing.jpg

jrhwdw

Some noticeable parts...

View attachment 787358

Tuxedo Mickey has new choreography at the very end. He no longer "laughs" by putting his hands on his mouth.View attachment 787359

This is what it looked like before:
View attachment 787362
While I don't want another F! Misfire, it looks like DL put more thought into this B Mode than I was expecting......Good!

TP2000

Chocolate Mousse is made and just put in the fridge to chill for six hours. Thank you Julia Child!

Does anyone have a livestream vlogger they recommend on YouTube for big nighttime shows like this? I can search around tonight, but let me know if there's someone to look for. Or avoid.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
Chocolate Mousse is made and just put in the fridge to chill for six hours. Thank you Julia Child!

Does anyone have a livestream vlogger they recommend on YouTube for big nighttime shows like this? I can search around tonight, but let me know if there's someone to look for. Or avoid.

I recommend SoCal Haunts And Parks as they always get great angles and don't usually talk through shows

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom