Disneyland Fantasmic Dragon Engulfed in Flames

gerarar

Premium Member
General thoughts and differences I noticed on my first watch!:
  • Tuxedo Mickey now appears later, where the original cue was before 2.0 update.
  • Less projections and lasers used leading up to Mickey’s new appearance. Guess they didn’t want to redo them.
  • The flowers now stay on stage during Jungle Book segment. Exit about halfway through to audience left side instead of right.
  • The transition from Peter Pan to Aladdin is ehh…needs work.
  • Projections after Columbia changed to feature various princesses and princes. No more Agrabah montage.
  • Aladdin and Jasmine now do a “dance” on stage instead of a magic carpet ride.
  • Old Hag got some new pyro and comets.
  • Mickey now appears on lower edge of stage, as if hiding from Malificient on lift. Runs on stage and gets caught in between Malificient’s blasts of green pyro.
  • The music transition is very noticeable to the distinct dragon music.
  • New fire effects on lower half of stage. Bunch of torches that light up in sync.
  • Malificient’s defeat has some new pyro, comets and mimes.
  • Large decrease in characters on Mark Twain. Down to 24 characters from 30-33.
  • The finale got toned way down.
  • The spotlights on the tower don’t do the 360 spins anymore. Less lasers. Less color overall.
  • The second half of the finale pyro was redone to be similar to the pre-2.0. More in time with the music beats. The first half is still same.
  • Tuxedo Mickey did his laugh at the end, thank goodness! Don’t know why B-roll was showed differently.

Overall, I’m super happy Fantasmic! is back on the west coast! B-mode fight scene with Malificient was pretty cool with Mickey running around avoiding the explosions.

Now some tech issues for the first show.
  • Columbia boat broken. Needed to be pushed by a smaller tug boat in the rear. Due to this they couldn’t do the stunts behind the boat.
  • Mickey’s hand pyro didn’t go off when defeating Malificient.
  • The fountains are not aligned at all. Could barely do a sorcerer hat at the end…

Last edited:

wtyy21

I'm see in the video that there's a change of post-show. Imagination song from defunct TDS version no longer heared at post-show. Instead, the original pre-2017 Fantasmic! exit music appeared twice, before closing announcement in English and Spanish, and after that billingual announcement.

Nland316

Very subtle change, but I noticed that before the show starts TSI has returned to its original lighting scheme.

It was updated during the 2.0 refresh.

Overall show impression.. You can tell they still needed more time to get the show up and running. There are a few kinks to work out. With that being said, it was so nice seeing it back after the fire incident and can’t wait until we inevitably get a new dragon and get the show to an even better state.

Disney Analyst

Very subtle change, but I noticed that before the show starts TSI has returned to its original lighting scheme.

It was updated during the 2.0 refresh.

Overall show impression.. You can tell they still needed more time to get the show up and running. There are a few kinks to work out. With that being said, it was so nice seeing it back after the fire incident and can’t wait until we inevitably get a new dragon and get the show to an even better state.

Yes. I imagine more work is on the way once they have a new dragon.

TP2000

Reopening without a new/improved dragon (the actual logo of the show) is the perfect example of what current Disney management thinks of the rubes who actually pay to go to a theme park.

Yes. This is a baffling decision, especially after a closure lasting more than a year.

This is the weakest version of Fantasmic! they've ever had. And it was closed for a year to get that?

This seems to be a glaring problem with the current leadership at the Parks. They just don't care.

SuddenStorm

Yes. This is a baffling decision, especially after a closure lasting more than a year.

This is the weakest version of Fantasmic! they've ever had. And it was closed for a year to get that?

This seems to be a glaring problem with the current leadership at the Parks. They just don't care.

What I find amusing is that all of the positive changes here were just going back to how it was prior to the 2017 version of the show.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
This feels like Fantasmic 1.7. A lot less color. It seems they didn't really fix any of the narrative problems of Fantasmic 2.0 and honestly I think this is worse than Fantasmic 2.0 with the exception of having Peter Pan back. The music in the new maleficent fight is just not done well. I don't understand why they brought back Peter Pan and the original exit and didn't bring back the original 92 soundtrack. It also looked like there were less characters on the mark twain than before. I understand the flying carpet and the dragon not being there but they could have plussed the show in other areas like having more characters on the Mark Twain and upgrading the projection effects and things like that and they just didn't. And the final is way worse now. With the exception of Peter Pan and the Mark Twain, I think it's safe to say Hollywood studios has the better Fantasmic right now.

gerarar

Premium Member
Also didn’t noticed it at first, but only 24 characters on the Mark Twain?! It should be around 30-33 if we’re going by 2017/2022 standards.

Top deck was missing Mad Hatter, White Rabbit, and Alice.
Lower deck was missing Pluto, Chip and Dale, Pooh.
Rear was missing toy soldiers and Jessie.

Very sad if this is a permanent reduction.

TP2000

Also didn’t noticed it at first, but only 24 characters on the Mark Twain?! It should be around 30-33 if we’re going by 2017/2022 standards.

Top deck was missing Mad Hatter, White Rabbit, and Alice.
Lower deck was missing Pluto, Chip and Dale, Pooh.
Rear was missing toy soldiers and Jessie.

Very sad if this is a permanent reduction.

They used to have Chimney Sweeps up on the roof of the top deck too. They're now missing in action.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No

gerarar

Premium Member
They used to have Chimney Sweeps up on the roof of the top deck too. They're now missing in action.
They were “kicked” off the boat after the 2017 2.0 update sadly. Because of this the Mark Twain has less characters on it than the counterpart at WDW, despite the larger boat with more room to play with.

Made a whole comparison here with numbers/data lol:
Once upon a time, the Mark Twain would contain more characters on the boat in the finale than WDW. After 2.0 debuted in 2017, the number of characters was cut (mainly the top deck containing the miners from Peter Pan segment).

Now WDW has more characters on their smaller Steamboat Willie Riverboat, which consistently has 35 characters twirling and dancing, while DL hovers somewhere between 30-33 characters (sometimes even less) depending on who's available/calls in.

No excuse that DL with the much larger boat shouldn't have more characters in theirs for the grand finale. It's all very ironic.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
I loved the show. Peter Pan returning is amazing, I liked if not loved the new villains scene, I just wish it returned with the dragon instead of it returning later. Idk man I'm just happy it's back at all, it wouldn't have surprised me if TDA decided to just scrap the show altogether

waltography

Currently watching now, updating this as I go:
  • Did they cut Mickey's choreo in the intro? Why is he moving without any purpose anymore, are they embarrassed for him to have choreo?
  • The whole Jungle Book section felt messy. Flower should've left after Lion King.
  • So good to have Peter Pan back. That transition into Princesses is rough.
  • I sure hope the magic carpet being gone is just an Opening Day snafu and that's also not a B-mode casualty.
  • I don't remember the Old Hag's silhouette being cast onto the mist screen but I love that effect regardless.
  • The fight scene being cut short is probably for the best, but it does throw the pacing quite a bit. Mickey's direction is as aimless as ever, which is just baffling. Otherwise, I like the B+ mode pyro work (though I'm concerned over the pyro being directed at the Mali actor, that feels like another Murphy waiting to happen).
  • The Mark Twain looking that empty is so embarrassing. At the very least, every single window in the bottom floor should be filled with a character.
  • I'm happy the finale fireworks are back in time with the music.
I guess I'm glad Fantasmic is back, but in this state it's just really sad. It makes me wonder what the timeline was to ramp this show back up, because between the dance competition-level soundtrack mixing and several messy points it feels like the effort of a few weeks rather than the year it was down.

Last edited:

wtyy21

I loved the show. Peter Pan returning is amazing, I liked if not loved the new villains scene, I just wish it returned with the dragon instead of it returning later. Idk man I'm just happy it's back at all, it wouldn't have surprised me if TDA decided to just scrap the show altogether
I rather excited to see whether Disney Experiences management will announce the return of the dragon at two big D23 events: in Anaheim this August, and in Brazil this November. These big D23 events i think would be served as opportunity to announce the new dragon replacement of Murphy at either one of two big D23 events.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom