Disneyland Fantasmic Dragon Engulfed in Flames

gerarar

Premium Member
So as theorized, it's just the original old B-mode of Malificient on a lift, with some more lights, projections, and pyro.
I still dislike how the entire river lights up all at once. It should spread naturally from where Malificient first ignites it. But the fight scene isn't that long, thus it has to be all lit at once.

Clip of fight scene:

Disney also released an IG Reel promoting the return of the show:

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Okay so the old B-mode, without dragon projections, and some reworked pyro…

So either investigation and repairs took until end of last year (they say they started workshopping in December), or they really took over a year to do… nothing?

But it does sound like the dragon is indeed coming back in some form. Perhaps they were going to do something bigger without the dragon, and decided to shift focus and instead commit to a new dragon figure, and just workshop the B-mode to make it better?

gerarar

Premium Member
Malificient has a new staff/scepter. Has a light green halo around it. I think it also spins.
1000011894.jpg

1000011895.gif

Edit: looking back this was already a thing, just very hard to see from afar lol

Also the new fire effect on the lower part of the stage is pretty cool.
1000011896.gif

Side fountains look to be using moving heads again (thank goodness!).
1000011899.gif

Can see the individual heads point in different directions in this still:
1000011900.jpg

Full B-roll footage:

Last edited:

choco choco

I would like to throw out my solution, which may seem obvious only to me:

Bring back the dragon but don’t have it spew fire. This negates the combustion danger that caused this in the first place. Use either smoke effect+lights to get the explosion effect (Disney has done this on various rides already) or use lasers that shoot out and alight something on the ground/water level.

The visceral moment of seeing the large physical dragon is most important. The flamethrower effect is impressive but if it must be substituted for safety reasons than so be it. At no point should we lose the sight of a real dragon though.

jrhwdw

I would like to throw out my solution, which may seem obvious only to me:

Bring back the dragon but don’t have it spew fire. This negates the combustion danger that caused this in the first place. Use either smoke effect+lights to get the explosion effect (Disney has done this on various rides already) or use lasers that shoot out and alight something on the ground/water level.

The visceral moment of seeing the large physical dragon is most important. The flamethrower effect is impressive but if it must be substituted for safety reasons than so be it. At no point should we lose the sight of a real dragon though.
I know Murphy was an Upgrade but is the 1992 Dragon safer?

gerarar

Premium Member
Made a comparison of the finale after Sorcerer Mickey appears on top of the cabin.
There seems to be a bunch of lighting, fountain, and laser changes.
  • Much less colors and more whites (downgrade imo).
  • The tall center fountain is lit up now, similar to DHS F!
  • Lasers added, but yet still just white and not multi-colored.
  • No more spotlights behind Mickey and the cabin.
It's definitely a step down in comparison to 2022 in my opinion..

Last edited:

MagicWDI

Looks like a fancy B-Roll is the new A-Roll for the time being as Entertainment and Imagineering "dream up something new."

Well, at least Fantasmic is back in some sort of fashion. The fire is cool, but a compromise indeed.

D.Silentu

Bring back the dragon but don’t have it spew fire. This negates the combustion danger that caused this in the first place. Use either smoke effect+lights to get the explosion effect (Disney has done this on various rides already) or use lasers that shoot out and alight something on the ground/water level
To your point, I think reliability is the main thing that should be the focus of the next dragon. Murphy, while so impressive, really left a legacy of issues both beginning and culminating in failure. I'm pleased to hear they seem to have another dragon in mind, but I hope they are also mindful that she needs to perform for years to come.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You aren't wrong. It is weird to have so little buzz or chatter or news about this so late in the game.

This show opens in less than 72 hours, and so far... nothing.

In the context of other major Disney theme park shows and attractions, that's weird.

Yeah, we want info about the new show!!!

TP2000

Yeah, we want info about the new show!!!

Perhaps there really isn't much new to talk about? Perhaps the only changes are actually deletions or downgrades?

I would find that hard to believe after all this time, but then... there's been some really iffy decisions being made by TDA and Burbank the past few years regarding the American parks.

It would be nice to see a plussed up and newly jazzed up version of Fantasmic! that uses all the new technology available they never had in 1992, or even 2015. (LED lighting, laser projection HD imagery, aerial and aquatic drones, stage robotics, etc.).

But maybe the silence and lack of info is because there really isn't anything new to brag about? I hope not. 🤔

Regardless, I'm going to watch the livestream this Friday at 9:00pm Pacific time with a cocktail and a dessert plate.
KEEP MOVING THRU THE WALKWAY!!! THIS IS NOT A VIEWING AREA!!! 🍸

D.Silentu

It would be nice to see a plussed up and newly jazzed up version of Fantasmic! that uses all the new technology available they never had in 1992, or even 2015. (LED lighting, laser projection HD imagery, aerial and aquatic drones, stage robotics, etc.).
I agree, in spite of the extended downtime I imagine everything they have worked on has been about damage control. I'd expect improvements, akin to those you describe, being packaged with a new dragon so they can call the whole affair a brand new show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom