Disneyland Fantasmic Dragon Engulfed in Flames

VJ

Disney has hinted, and insiders have concurred, that the fire breathing dragon will be back.

Does a company with an "underground bar" do that?
in the post you replied to, i'm speaking specifically about the "c-mode" that i linked to in my post prior to that - as sad as the current b-mode show is, the "c-mode" is a downgrade to a downgrade, and that's what i mean when i say the bar is so low that it is underground. whether the dragon is planned to return is irrelevant to my point - i'm talking about what's happening now, not what is planned for the future.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
in the post you replied to, i'm speaking specifically about the "c-mode" that i linked to in my post prior to that - as sad as the current b-mode show is, the "c-mode" is a downgrade to a downgrade, and that's what i mean when i say the bar is so low that it is underground. whether the dragon is planned to return is irrelevant to my point - i'm talking about what's happening now, not what is planned for the future.
My bad. My apologies.

VJ

Shows go on with hiccups sometimes. Tech malfunctions or other unforeseen issues can occur. It happens everywhere that live entertainment is a thing. There's no such thing as a piece of entertainment where nothing goes wrong ever. If it's a regular thing, THEN it makes more sense to complain about it.

I get that B mode is suboptimal, but clearly they felt most people would rather see the show than wait much longer for it to come back with everything perfect, and in the grand scheme of things, that's probably the correct decision from the perspective of most parkgoers. If there's a huge failure or safety issue, of course, suspend performances. If *one thing* doesn't work and it's not a safety issue, they're gonna still run it.

There were certainly Fantasmic performances in the early nineties where not everything worked, people just didn't notice because there weren't 30 cell phones livestreaming every performance or huge internet communities tracking every single blemish or imperfection in the parks.
i do agree with your overall point, but about "one thing" being broken, to me it depends on how noticeable that "one thing" is. if it's a random firework that misses its cue or a dancer missing that's not a huge thing to me because the show has tons of fireworks and tons of dancers, but there's only one maleficent. so, when the lift isn't working and she's just kinda dancing around on stage trying to look threatening, it really takes a lot of the magic away from the show, and if that was someone's first time seeing the show it would really disappoint me because the show is so much greater than that.

but i also know that some people only get one trip to disneyland a year, or even a decade, so i can understand the "something rather than nothing" perspective when disney's just trying to give people the best show they can despite the circumstances. but i still feel like full-strength fantasmic would be worth the wait while they fix the dragon and make the show the best it can be, like we all know it can be because it has been before.

Sneakman

i do agree with your overall point, but about "one thing" being broken, to me it depends on how noticeable that "one thing" is. if it's a random firework that misses its cue or a dancer missing that's not a huge thing to me because the show has tons of fireworks and tons of dancers, but there's only one maleficent. so, when the lift isn't working and she's just kinda dancing around on stage trying to look threatening, it really takes a lot of the magic away from the show, and if that was someone's first time seeing the show it would really disappoint me because the show is so much greater than that.

but i also know that some people only get one trip to disneyland a year, or even a decade, so i can understand the "something rather than nothing" perspective when disney's just trying to give people the best show they can despite the circumstances. but i still feel like full-strength fantasmic would be worth the wait while they fix the dragon and make the show the best it can be, like we all know it can be because it has been before.
Giving me “festival of fantasy post malefacent fire gazebo vibes tbh.” Also with the maleficent fire in FOF and also in fantasmic DL if I had two nickels and all that

Attachments

• IMG_2609.jpeg
    IMG_2609.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 14

PiratesMansion

but i also know that some people only get one trip to disneyland a year, or even a decade, so i can understand the "something rather than nothing" perspective when disney's just trying to give people the best show they can despite the circumstances. but i still feel like full-strength fantasmic would be worth the wait while they fix the dragon and make the show the best it can be, like we all know it can be because it has been befbeforew
We all know people would have complained if the show would have stayed dark until the dragon was fixed. Disney can't win.

But they figured most people would rather have an imperfect Fantasmic than not have one at all, hence what we have now.

While it's suboptimal for a first timer, the reality is that 1st timers more often than not aren't going to know what they're missing unless their Armchair Disneyland Fixer Friend complains to them about it. Doesn't make it great, but I think it's easy to overestimate what a true newbie is going to notice.

gerarar

Premium Member
didn't think it could get worse, huh? weeeeeelll.....

Interesting.

So I would say this was a "planned" C-mode, considering Malificient wasn't strapped down to her lift and the lift malfunctioning during the show. So she was able to freely "run" around on the upper part of the stage.

The unplanned C-mode would be Malificient stuck on her lift and not rising, aka the lift malfunctioning during the show, which we often see before.

Regardless, love seeing all the different scenarios that Live Entertainment plan for.

Still dislike how neutered the finale is now with the reduced lights, lasers, etc.

wdrive

when it's a big set piece like maleficent vs mickey which is already running in b-mode, i personally don't think disney can afford to run it in "c-mode". is "d-mode" 5 techs dancing around the stage with flashlights? where does it stop?

if it were up to me the show would go dark and be temporarily replaced by something a la wdw's "taste of fantasmic" until the dragon is fixed and the show can run at 100%. i do understand that this is an unpopular opinion, and that the common mindset is that "something is better than nothing", but as disney held itself to such high standards for so long it's difficult for me to accept the lowered standards of today.

I get you, but if you asked the family from Brazil who’ve saved up for years to come and will be the one time in their life they’ll watch Fantasmic if they’d rather not see the show because one element is not working I’m not sure you’d get the same answer.

Plus think of all the dining package money they’d lose.

jrhwdw

No Lift last night. is a permanent change in the F! B Mode version? Maybe the New Pyro was too close to the Lift?

It's still better than Canning F! every night for a Broken Lift but it;s crazy F! is the only Game in DL when DLR has 2 Night Parades Backstage!!!!

SuddenStorm

The show's only been running for like a month- why is it already having a C Mode? My assumption is that it's an issue with the lift for Maleficent. That they had plenty of time to refurbish.

This level of unreliability is not the norm for Disneyland but it is quickly becoming the new standard. Heck, Tiana can't even run properly during previews- the ride keeps breaking down and the animatronics don't work.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
The show's only been running for like a month- why is it already having a C Mode? My assumption is that it's an issue with the lift for Maleficent. That they had plenty of time to refurbish.

This level of unreliability is not the norm for Disneyland but it is quickly becoming the new standard. Heck, Tiana can't even run properly during previews- the ride keeps breaking down and the animatronics don't work.
Things always go wrong in live theater. The original fantasmic and 2.0 had dozens of B/C modes so that the show can continue if there's errors. More often than not, it's not am issue with the lift, it's an issue with timing. The actor doesn't have time to go from their prior role, change, and perform their Malificent role. This is standard for theater. I promise you, literally every live show ever has B/C/D modes for in case things happen.

gerarar

Premium Member
Things always go wrong in live theater. The original fantasmic and 2.0 had dozens of B/C modes so that the show can continue if there's errors. More often than not, it's not am issue with the lift, it's an issue with timing. The actor doesn't have time to go from their prior role, change, and perform their Malificent role. This is standard for theater. I promise you, literally every live show ever has B/C/D modes for in case things happen.
Except that it's been C-mode since 6/23 up to last night, so the lift is most likely "broken". Or there is some precaution they found recently and turned it off for now.

Regardless, sad to see it's already in this state barely a month in its return. Giving side fountains deja vu when the show returned back in 2022.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom