Disneyland Fantasmic Dragon Engulfed in Flames

jrhwdw

Question is why did the propane e-stop not get activated? A minute or so after the initial fire, propane started spilling and igniting making the fire much worse. If the damage is too extensive, i'd bet we will see MSEP rolling down main street again.

MSEP was rumored before last night.........This might confirm it. That is if....DPB ever lets us know! (MSEP wise I mean)

wtyy21

Giving that extensive damage of dragon's fire during Fantasmic! show, i believe the repair or rebuilt of new Maleficent dragon will take at least weeks or months, citing the remade of Maleficent dragon at FoF parade at the Magic Kingdom that caught fire in May 2018, only returned in January 2019.

We would expect this show to temporarily suspend its performance in order to make how the show would be perform without the dragon, because Maleficent dragon were so essential for F!

jrhwdw

Giving that extensive damage of dragon's fire during Fantasmic! show, i believe the repair or rebuilt of new Maleficent dragon will take at least weeks or months, citing the remade of Maleficent dragon at FoF parade at the Magic Kingdom that caught fire in May 2018, only returned in January 2019.

We would expect this show to temporarily suspend its performance in order to make how the show would be perform without the dragon, because Maleficent dragon were so essential for F!

We know the B Mode already, Both Coasts have it.........

When F! is safe to perform is another story........

shambolicdefending

An uncontrolled fire of that size will have almost definitely caused significant damage to everything around it. Especially if high-pressure fire hoses were eventually brought in to get it under control.

I'm going to go ahead and predict no more Fantasmic until 2024 or 25. This is Disneyland, which means repairs will be outrageously expensive, frustratingly slow, and inevitably delayed. The company is already tightening and squeezing costs everywhere. This couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Consumer

As much as I love the original Fantasmic, if this meant the end of the show at Disneyland, I would be ok with that. The new show lacks the charm of the original and the crowds it brings to Frontierland and NOS are just miserable. Sucks to lose such a cool animatronic, but I wouldn’t mind if Fantasmic never returned.

Anyway, though, this really does highlight the horrible maintenance at the parks right now. I’m grateful nobody was hurt, but I wonder how long until somebody is.

Squishy

The Fantasmic fire is way worse, the FoF dragon had to get its neck & head redone along with some system updates meanwhile DLR will have to redo the whole animatronic & system as it looks like it's a total goner & maybe even the basement & stage depending on how bad the damage is.

Surferboy567

As much as I love the original Fantasmic, if this meant the end of the show at Disneyland, I would be ok with that. The new show lacks the charm of the original and the crowds it brings to Frontierland and NOS are just miserable. Sucks to lose such a cool animatronic, but I wouldn’t mind if Fantasmic never returned.

Anyway, though, this really does highlight the horrible maintenance at the parks right now. I’m grateful nobody was hurt, but I wonder how long until somebody is.
Fantasmic! Is actually my favorite Disney nighttime spectacular ever. I would be pretty upset if it never came back, WDW is my home park and I have never had the pleasure of seeing Disneyland’s Fantasmic! Something I was hoping to fix this summer…

NotCalledBob

It would be embarrassing for them to have F! offline for the rest of the 100th.

My hope would be that the rest of the damage isn't too significant, and they can bring it back in B mode form at some point in the Summer.

It would be heartbreaking though if they never bring back an anamatronic dragon. Sadly, this could quite easily happen.

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance needs to be (US) Disney Parks new mantra.

yensidtlaw1969

It would be embarrassing for them to have F! offline for the rest of the 100th.

My hope would be that the rest of the damage isn't too significant, and they can bring it back in B mode form at some point in the Summer.

It would be heartbreaking though if they never bring back an anamatronic dragon. Sadly, this could quite easily happen.

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance needs to be (US) Disney Parks new mantra.
Not knowing the specifics here, but being somewhat familiar with how damaging fire (and its suppression) can be, I would hazard a guess that the damage is rather significant. And not just to the Dragon.

I would personally be shocked if either the Dragon or Fantasmic itself didn't return - I don't get the impression that Disney has been looking for reasons to do away with either of them. But I would guess that some real work will need to be done on the stage before they can bring back even a Dragonless B-Show Fantasmic.

Glad to hear everybody was safe, that's the most important thing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here was a streamer that happened to catch the full show (after streaming a full day at the park). Jump ahead to about 5:44:00 in the feed. Can clearly see some sort of fluid rapidly draining from the head. Just glad Mickey was safe. He was relatively close when it caught fire.

https://www.youtube.com/live/czaiJpW3pys?feature=share

Yeah, definitely the fuel hydraulic tank started leaking.

Then with the head going in a straight up position, that allowed the fuel to drip down the entirety of the dragon.

Favorite moments:
Yo, this isn't supposed to happen.
This is going viral, bro!
Dragon bonfire... stay and watch. Fuel Hydraulic tank explodes... RUN AWAY!​
Pre-recorded, "The show will not continue." Yeah, a-duh. How about anyone get on the PA and tell them get out *now*?​
In the end, the upbeat jazzy BGM while Maleficent burns.​

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
Wow, I am just in shock honestly.

I'm no stranger on this side of the forum to actively give updates and post many of the faults of the show, like if fountains break or something.

But this? I would have never expect this.

I'm pretty sure Murphy has some inflatable parts (gives it that bubbly-look), so those parts would easily catch fire from the looks of it.

I also would've thought after WDW's dragon fire during FoF parade, they would've thought of this scenario. If hydraulic fluid leaks, there should be stoppers throughout its pipes, as well a system monitoring it. Airplanes for a time didn't have this redundancy, and leaks caused many fatal accidents until regulations were finally changed.

Hope to see Fantasmic! return, but that may be a while. The return of the dragon may even be more of a wait...

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Fantasmic! is toast for now. Until they can restage a different finale' scene without the dragon, which may take weeks.
They have it ready to go. It ran in B mode for months in 2010 after Snap (renamed that year) lived up to his name.

More concerning would be damage to the stage and underneath it, as evidenced by burning items dripping into the pit. But at least a new model should mean WDI won’t over program it again beyond the manufacturers specifications.

Californian Elitist

I’m not going to watch actual footage of this unfortunate incident, at least not right now. I was disturbed by the still images I saw last night before going to bed.

The safety of guests is the only thing that matters in a situation like this. If Fantasmic! has to go down for a significant amount of time, then so be it. Assuming we will get another dragon, maybe it will be even more impressive than Murphy. Doubt it, but we’ll see.

Goodbye, Murphy. It was nice knowing you.

yensidtlaw1969

I’m not going to watch actual footage of this unfortunate incident, at least not right now. I was disturbed by the still images I saw last night before going to bed.

The safety of guests is the only thing that matters in a situation like this. If Fantasmic! has to go down for a significant amount of time, then so be it. Assuming we will get another dragon, maybe it will be even more impressive than Murphy. Doubt it, but we’ll see.

Goodbye, Murphy. It was nice knowing you.
That's a good call, the footage is disturbing. And in no small part because of the behavior of some guests who clearly saw something was wrong and decided to make a show of it rather than evacuate the area.

Like . . . this isn't a stand-up special, what was happening was dangerous. Use your common sense, listen to the Cast Members, skip the one-liners, and get away!

Phroobar

It is only a manner of time. At that point, Disneyland management will soon be spending more time with their family. Doesn't anyone see the signs are just like 2003 and Cynthia Harris? Potrock will be sent back to the quarry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom