Disneyland Fantasmic Dragon Engulfed in Flames

Phroobar

Any rumours or thoughts how they're gonna handle the dragon?
88atnt.jpg

JediMasterMatt

You liked hearing Elizabeth screaming and yelling for help at Jack Sparrow for minutes?
I may have daydreamed a few times during this segment that with the Fox acquisition, they could simply swap out Elizabeth and Jack for Jack and Rose from Titanic's last hour with them shouting their names ad nauseum.

In hindsight with the maintenance mishaps, I wouldn't want the Columbia to founder.

Glad Pan's back. It's a much better spectacle than the PotC sequence and fits the show much better. Almost like it was designed with it in mind as such.

Figments Friend

I am currently visiting Walt Disney World this week, and made it a point to see two showings of the current version running at Hollywood Studios.
I’ve never been a huge fan of the version here, but now that things have changed over the years I can’t beleive I’m saying this but I think right now they have the ‘better’ version running at the moment.
Cannot tell you how great it was to hear that original soundtrack again…and dang, even the old ‘dragon head on a stick’ was great to see.
The revamped WDW show is a pretty decent mash up of the original and some added contemporary IP additions,

Still CAN NOT at all top Disneyland’s version however with its setting, Peter Pan segment, the Mark Twain, and the awesomeness that was’Murphy’ operating with the original score,
Never to be topped, no matter how many flashy lights they try to add.

-

PiratesMansion

I am currently visiting Walt Disney World this week, and made it a point to see two showings of the current version running at Hollywood Studios.
I’ve never been a huge fan of the version here, but now that things have changed over the years I can’t beleive I’m saying this but I think right now they have the ‘better’ version running at the moment.
Cannot tell you how great it was to hear that original soundtrack again…and dang, even the old ‘dragon head on a stick’ was great to see.
The revamped WDW show is a pretty decent mash up of the original and some added contemporary IP additions,

Still CAN NOT at all top Disneyland’s version however with Pan and ‘Murphy’ operating with the original score,
Never to be topped, no matter how many flashy lights they try to add.

-
You're not the only person who's been saying that the current WDW version at least matches (if not surpasses) the DL version, which makes me wonder if they might restore the original soundtrack or some of those elements they changed unnecessarily (i.e. the Queen/Hag transformation) when the DL show returns.

Figments Friend

You're not the only person who's been saying that the current WDW version at least matches (if not surpasses) the DL version, which makes me wonder if they might restore the original soundtrack or some of those elements they changed unnecessarily (i.e. the Queen/Hag transformation) when the DL show returns.

Last nights two shows were a fantastic experience.
Not just the show, not just that I had front row seats without paying extra, and not just hearing that great original score again.
It was also because of the audience.

People were really responding so well and the energy level was through the roof.
I honestly for a few moments thought I was back at Disneyland Park because of the similar show energy and the amazing crowd energy that exists there.

I was impressed…as I have not heard the WDW audience react to the older version of the show like this in a long, long time.
It was great to feel that energy in the audience last night.

The original soundtrack really does hit all the emotional beats right as we all already know.
And of course the presentation and effects too…but the two shows last night were probably two of the best showings I have ever seen of ‘Fantasmic’ at WDW.
And that is saying a lot from someone like me who was never a big fan of WDWs original incarnation,

Now….if they only had a nicer, full bodied, AA dragon……

And I agree…some of the elements of the original show should remain, such as the Evil Queen’s transformation.
Always gets such a great reaction from the crowd…and last night was no exception.
So nice to see that again!
-

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

Or perhaps they felt that removing Snow White from the princess medley made the transition to the Evil Queen unnecessary.

Faulty reasoning, mind-especially since they kept both the Hag and the Magic Mirror in the 2.0 version of the show-but not a mistake modern Disney would be above making.

I don't hate Rapunzel being there in the 2.0 version of the medley, but I get the feeling it was at least partially done because they could reuse the vocals for "I See the Light," which came from one of the earlier Christmas WOCs while also allowing them to still crow about including a newer princess. I honestly would have preferred that one of the other two princesses would have been swapped out instead of Snow White. Snow White is potentially underrepresented in the parks given her importance to the history of the Disney studio, something that I can't really say about Ariel or Belle.

Disone

Hoping against hope here but is there any chance at all that when they said the dragon would not return to the show that they meant specifically Murphy. Any chance they Did not mean *a dragon * would not be in the show just *that* dragon would not return to the show. I mean literally the shows iconic moment, is the fire breathing dragon and Mickey. It's on the pin. It's on the t-shirt. It's on the coffee mug. But it's no longer in the show?

SuddenStorm

Hoping against hope here but is there any chance at all that when they said the dragon would not return to the show that they meant specifically Murphy. Any chance they Did not mean *a dragon * would not be in the show just *that* dragon would not return to the show. I mean literally the shows iconic moment, is the fire breathing dragon and Mickey. It's on the pin. It's on the t-shirt. It's on the coffee mug. But it's no longer in the show?

I have no problem with them bringing back the head on a stick. They could market it as a nostalgia push- 'Come see Fantasmic in it's original glory, complete with Peter Pan and the original Dragon!'

Disney Analyst

Maybe one day, but as far as anyone knows, the show we are getting back will have a reimagined fight between Mickey and Maleficent in her normal form.

Dustysage at MiceChat was saying the reason they are bringing Pan back is to throw fans a bone, as Disney knows they aren’t going to be happy about the lack of dragon.

SuddenStorm

Dustysage at MiceChat was saying the reason they are bringing Pan back is to throw fans a bone, as Disney knows they aren’t going to be happy about the lack of dragon.

I hope this is just Dusty speculating, because if Disney knows that fans prefer the Peter Pan segment, than they should run the Peter Pan segment regardless of whether or not there is a dragon.

Kev1982

Or perhaps they felt that removing Snow White from the princess medley made the transition to the Evil Queen unnecessary.

Faulty reasoning, mind-especially since they kept both the Hag and the Magic Mirror in the 2.0 version of the show-but not a mistake modern Disney would be above making.

I don't hate Rapunzel being there in the 2.0 version of the medley, but I get the feeling it was at least partially done because they could reuse the vocals for "I See the Light," which came from one of the earlier Christmas WOCs while also allowing them to still crow about including a newer princess. I honestly would have preferred that one of the other two princesses would have been swapped out instead of Snow White. Snow White is potentially underrepresented in the parks given her importance to the history of the Disney studio, something that I can't really say about Ariel or Belle.
I think they should have added rapunzel but also keep the other 3

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom