News Disneyland Character Performers Look to Unionize With Actors’ Equity

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
A few details tonight from Brady MacDonald at OCR:

Disneyland’s largest union coalition protested on the Anaheim theme park’s birthday with ride operators, candy makers and ticket takers fighting for a pay raise ahead of a planned strike vote.

Disneyland union employees rallied outside the park’s entrance on Wednesday, July 17 in support of union contract negotiations seeking fair wages. The symbolic date marked the 69th anniversary of the park’s opening on July 17, 1955.

About 2,000 Disneyland cast members and union representatives were out in force waving signs and placards at the park’s Harbor Boulevard entrance.

Union members set up a sound system outside the Disneyland security checkpoint and delivered speeches while theme park guests entered and exited the parks.

The rally moved to Harbor Boulevard with protestors filling the Disneyland drop off/pick up lot. Union members chanted: “If we don’t get it. Shut it down.”

Master Services Council, which represents 14,000 Disneyland employees from four unions, plans to hold a strike authorization vote on Friday, July 19.

“A strike authorization is not unusual as part of the negotiations process and does not indicate a strike is imminent or underway,” according to the Disneyland union negotiation online FAQ. “Disneyland Resort remains open and ready to welcome guests.”

Disney negotiators and union officials are scheduled to meet again on July 22 and 23, according to Disneyland officials.

“With today’s rally, we continue to be focused on the wellbeing of our guests and cast members,” according to Disneyland officials. “We remain committed to the upcoming meetings on July 22-23 and reaching an agreement with Master Services that focuses on what matters most to cast members, positions Disneyland Resort for growth and job creation and enables us to continue delivering incredible guest experiences.”

The union coalition — which has been negotiating with Disney over a new contract since April — represents ride operators, store clerks, custodians, candy makers, ticket takers, parking attendants, tram drivers and other cast members, Disney parlance for employees.

The Disneyland contract covering approximately 9,000 employees expired June 16. The Disney California Adventure and Downtown Disney contracts covering approximately 5,000 employees expire on Sept. 30.

Master Services Council declined to enter into a contract extension after the Disneyland contract expired, according to Disneyland officials.

TsWade2

Looks like Disneyland 69th anniversary is ruined and Disneyland will be in jeopardy! Not ending forever, but in temporarily jeopardy!😢

TrainsOfDisney

I’m all for CM’s being paid for their work and treated well - but they need to be careful with making unrealistic demands.

Why do the actors need to be equity for example? Didn’t they already have a union that represented them? What is the issue?

Jiggsawpuzzle35

I'd love to know that too.

Disneyland CM's are getting paid higher than the current SoCal market rates for other unskilled, entry-level jobs like McDonald's, Target cashiers, custodial, etc. Attractions CM's are the lowest paid, at a starting rate of $20 per hour, because those ride ops jobs are in the highest demand.

Here are some current starting pay rates for other CM's in 2024, from $21.25 for an entry-level job in food service, to $28.50 for an entry-level job at the hotel front desk...

View attachment 801268
Aside from a pay raise above these already high starting wages for entry-level unskilled jobs (the skilled jobs like Electricians start at $37), what are the CM's asking for? Paid childcare? An extra break? Cheaper Starbucks menu items?
Damn, I remembered getting paid $6.75 a hour working ODV. Not only did we have to push out the beverage cars manually, but we also didn’t have automated cash registers with credit card machines. Some of these CMs nowadays have it way too easy.

TrainsOfDisney

are they wanting costume characters and all parade performers to be equity? Because that is not how it works in Florida.

Disneyland base for entertainment is paying $24.15 an hour. What are they wanting?

And they say they are “underpaid and overworked” - do they want to get paid more money and work less hours?

In general I’m all for CM’s - but there is a line where it crosses into unrealistic demands.

Kali10

are they wanting costume characters and all parade performers to be equity? Because that is not how it works in Florida.

Disneyland base for entertainment is paying $24.15 an hour. What are they wanting?

And they say they are “underpaid and overworked” - do they want to get paid more money and work less hours?

In general I’m all for CM’s - but there is a line where it crosses into unrealistic demands.
The rally today was for 4 other unions that represent attractions, entertainment costuming, candy makers, and etc.

In terms of the Characters and Parade Performers, you are correct that they are not with Equity in Florida. However, the entertainment CMs in Florida ARE with a union. Entertainment at Disneyland have been hourly non-union the entirety of their time here.

As it stands, entertainment CMs have gone through non-restrictive scheduling which leads to more injuries from lack-of recovery time and lack of opportunities to gain adequate sick/pto time. Parade performers can be working 40+ hours a week and still not qualify for full-time status and all the benefits that come with it (health care, vacation time, etc.) In some cases, entertainment offerings/hours get cut without advance notice for these CMs to be able to find work elsewhere, and yet, they’re expected to be fully available on a moments notice and get penalized if they can’t be because they had to find a job elsewhere to supplement lost hours. So yes, these CMs are technically being overworked and “under paid,” but the reality of them wanting to unionize is to be able to set up protections for themselves and their livelihood as well as the future generations of entertainment CMs.

TrainsOfDisney

Some of the character and parade entertainment CMs just recently unionized at Disneyland, after having always been non-union previously - judging by the title, discussing that was actually the original purpose of this thread.
Characters and Parade wouldn’t be equity though.

This is getting a bit confusing! Haha

Kali10

I watched it - it doesn’t clearly explain what they want, just some of the concerns.
I’m sure if they listed out point by point what they wanted, it would be too drawn out of a video 😝 from my understanding, they are in the middle of constructing the contract within their teams, respectively, so these detailed concerns are in the process of being fully fleshed out before contract negotiations start with Disney
Characters and Parade wouldn’t be equity though.

This is getting a bit confusing! Haha
There are different unions that can be chosen to represent their cast member, but it’s up to the cast to decide who they want to be with.

Floridian’s Characters and Parades are with Teamsters - unfortunately, a non-performing based union, so a lot of their contract doesn’t work for them due to the lack of understanding of their job duties. Equity represents their stage performers and have agreed to represent Disneyland Parades and Characters when Disneyland’s cast reached out to them.

Squishy

1721319335308.png

TrainsOfDisney

Equity represents their stage performers and have agreed to represent Disneyland Parades and Characters when Disneyland’s cast reached out to them.
that will be the end of parades and characters then. At least the amount that Disneyland has. That’s an unreasonable ask in my opinion.

TrainsOfDisney

Can I pick your brain as to why it seems unreasonable?
Well for 1. It’s an unreasonable time for any of this - Disneyland just raised wages significantly - now they are wanting more. I’m all for the increase they just got - but it’s too soon to be saying it’s not enough.

For entertainment specifically - Equity contracts are very favorable for the actors and stage managers - which is a good thing. But it’s designed for professional stage productions with highly qualified and trained professionals.

If we are talking about the performers at the Hyperion? Yes, they should be equity! The costume characters and parade performers? No, it doesn’t take an equity actor to be friends with chip n dale.

Entertainment is already paid more than attractions, f&b, etc. - which is good.

Kali10

Well for 1. It’s an unreasonable time for any of this - Disneyland just raised wages significantly - now they are wanting more. I’m all for the increase they just got - but it’s too soon to be saying it’s not enough.

For entertainment specifically - Equity contracts are very favorable for the actors and stage managers - which is a good thing. But it’s designed for professional stage productions with highly qualified and trained professionals.

If we are talking about the performers at the Hyperion? Yes, they should be equity! The costume characters and parade performers? No, it doesn’t take an equity actor to be friends with chip n dale.

Entertainment is already paid more than attractions, f&b, etc. - which is good.
I see. Wages aside, it still doesn’t account for the protections for the cast - which is severely lacking. Safety standards, lack of accountability/proper communication from management, job security, etc. all come into play with what these cast members are seeking.

Performers in the Hyperion and other stage shows are already covered under AGVA, which have fully backed and supported Characters and Parade Performers unionizing with Equity.

Respectfully, these performers ARE trained and qualified professionals in their field and deserve the same representation as other performers in the industry - ESPECIALLY the parade performers which I can argue do a lot more in their roles compared to their counterparts in the stage productions at Hyperion and parade performers in Florida. They do the same amount of training and development in their craft as anyone else unionized with Equity.

The pay compared to other operational roles is great for them, sure, but they’re getting shafted when it comes to everything else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom