News Disneyland Character Performers Look to Unionize With Actors’ Equity

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Am I a horrible person for saying that if I spent 1000’s of dollars to come visit Disneyland (from Canada), and it was considered crossing a picket line to attend… I and probably every other visitor like me would probably cross it?

😅🤨
In those circumstances you'd probably just not tell anyone you were pro-union as you crossed, lol.

remycat

Am I a horrible person for saying that if I spent 1000’s of dollars to come visit Disneyland (from Canada), and it was considered crossing a picket line to attend… I and probably every other visitor like me would probably cross it?

😅🤨
This is the reality right now for most of us with upcoming trips. It costs so much money and prep to plan a vacation to Disneyland that we can't just back out on a dime if or when a strike is announced. I support the workers but need to be practical about how to figure out my family's vacation...

Parteecia

Isn't the vote already underway, or maybe even completed by now? The results are coming out in a few days I believe.

So even if not an official picket line yet I think a pro-union person may consider it "crossing" as a show of support and would avoid it if possible.
I am pro-union but I am not counting a "rally" as crossing a picket line. (especially if I approach via DTD)

Darn, if I hadn't read this thread I could go with a clear and innocent conscience.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I am pro-union but I am not counting a "rally" as crossing a picket line. (especially if I approach via DTD)

Darn, if I hadn't read this thread I could go with a clear and innocent conscience.
I guess it depends on your point of view. I would imagine that they would have some CMs on the DTD side somewhere as well, but that is just a guess.

Parteecia

I guess it depends on your point of view. I would imagine that they would have some CMs on the DTD side somewhere as well, but that is just a guess.
I will play optimist and assume that the strike doesn't materialize so no need to honor the informational rally.

Or I could always blame that silly short term memory loss that happens so often at my age. Strike, what strike? What's a thread?

Disney Analyst

I will play optimist and assume that the strike doesn't materialize so no need to honor the informational rally.

Or I could always blame that silly short term memory loss that happens so often at my age. Strike, what strike? What's a thread?

“Where are my glasses? I can’t see without my glasses?!?”

(Enters Disneyland)

“Oh, they were on my head 😅 did I miss anything?”

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah I don’t know how that works - all the photos I’ve seen show them off property right at the property line with the street preacher and the parrots (if you know you know lol)
I've seen various groups including JWs inside of DTD proper over the years, so can't imagine this being any different.

Also the property lines have changed recently, as before Magic Way was the border of what was "off property" on that side of the resort. But that has since come under Disney ownership due to DLForward. So if they are to be "off property", on that side it means on Disneyland Dr now.

TP2000

And FYI, anyone who is pro-Union should be aware that visiting Disneyland on Wednesday should be considered as crossing a picket line.

It's been many decades since, but I'm still a former Teamster.

How on earth is this crossing a picket line? A messaging/communications rally at a work site is NOT a picket line.

To have a picket line to cross, you have to... wait for it... have a strike with an actual picket line.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I've seen various groups including JWs inside of DTD proper over the years, so can't imagine this being any different.
They are there because the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins, 447 U.S. 74 (1980) that religious groups (or any other group) have the first amendment right to be in private shopping areas, as long as they are not being disruptive or disorderly.

So technically yes, the CMs can be in DTD as long as they weren't being disruptive. However, I would think that they WANT to be disruptive in order to be effective in their messaging, so being off-property might be more advantageous for them.

Disney MIGHT be able to get around the ruling if the protestors are wearing CM uniforms as those belong to and represent Disney. I'm not a lawyer though, so that's just speculation.

TP2000

also…. What do the CM’s want? Like is it something simple and easy?

I'd love to know that too.

Disneyland CM's are getting paid higher than the current SoCal market rates for other unskilled, entry-level jobs like McDonald's, Target cashiers, custodial, etc. Attractions CM's are the lowest paid, at a starting rate of $20 per hour, because those ride ops jobs are in the highest demand.

Here are some current starting pay rates for other CM's in 2024, from $21.25 for an entry-level job in food service, to $28.50 for an entry-level job at the hotel front desk...

A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats.jpg

Aside from a pay raise above these already high starting wages for entry-level unskilled jobs (the skilled jobs like Electricians start at $37), what are the CM's asking for? Paid childcare? An extra break? Cheaper Starbucks menu items?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They are there because the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins, 447 U.S. 74 (1980) that religious groups (or any other group) have the first amendment right to be in private shopping areas, as long as they are not being disruptive or disorderly.

So technically yes, the CMs can be in DTD as long as they weren't being disruptive. However, I would think that they WANT to be disruptive in order to be effective in their messaging, so being off-property might be more advantageous for them.

Disney MIGHT be able to get around the ruling if the protestors are wearing CM uniforms as those belong to and represent Disney. I'm not a lawyer though, so that's just speculation.
Yes I remember that case from my youth.

As this isn't an actual picket line yet I don't know how disruptive they really want to be, especially in DTD where those businesses aren't really owned by Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom