News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

Ryan120420

Just to be clear... this is just a survey to find options that people prefer over others.

The real interesting suggestion though, is that the one day tickets may go up past $200.

1-Day peak Parkhopper was already $199 when the parks closed. So $209 for a 1-day peak ticket is completely in line with current price trends.

mickEblu

This is pretty much what I expected to see. I know it’s not official but it gives us an idea of what they re thinking. Prices aren’t too bad considering all the access the passes still have - as long as reservations can be easily attained. The price points do force people to think and make choices. You re talking 4-6k for a family of four to have APs. That’s a week vacation somewhere. Granted, you get a lot more bang for your buck with your AP but it would possibly make someone like me say I’m good with an AP every other year.

Overall if these prices / passes are close to the final product, it would affirm what I already knew- they re not trying to get rid of APs. They re just restricting the program to control capacity. That way they don’t lose the AP money or the tourist money. Only thing that confuses me is nothing really comparable to the So Cal select as far as price range. So maybe they are willing to trim “a little fat.”Kind of counterintuitive though as those APs were putting bodies in the parks on slower days. Orrrr they just know that people will pay no matter what.

Last edited:

mickEblu

They probably will have another tier as time goes on. With a restriction in place they will have no difficulty filling in the parks.

I was assuming these would be for when capacity goes back to normal. If Disneyland opens at 25% capacity a lot of people may not get the reservations they want. I’m not sure Disney would want to implement this before capacity gets back to normal or at least closer to normal.

You re probably right another tier being introduced later.

mickEblu

We will see what the numbers will be. I remember when we were about to open in summer and someone had asked in our cm FB group to our union if we would be roughly 20k like shanghai had and they said it would be lower but wouldn't give a number. So when we do eventually open and they keep the same numbers itll be low.

It’s California. We ll be lucky if it’s 25%. With the pent up demand and low capacity it’s tough for me to see how this would work.

CaptinEO

The new APs are about not allowing anyone to have all the benefits.

You can have parking, or maxpass (photos not included anymore), or photopass. You want all of those? Too bad.

You can have different levels of discounts on food, parking, and merch, but you cant have the highest discounts on all 3 at once.

I thought the passes were being simplified but this is just more confusing.

Here's a thought, it someone wants to pay 2 grand for a Disney pass with all the bells and whistles, why not sell it?

Why restrict people at each level?

If I pay 1200 for a pass why does the person with a 500 dollar pass have benefits that I don't?

Time to go back to the drawing board.

CJR

I like the idea of custom built annual passes where you can pick and choose benefits at a set value, similar to building a new car. They could offer pre-built options for the people that can't handle it. That would be amazing.

D

Deleted member 107043

Getting our first look at what the new Annual Pass program might look like.

Notable features:

All APs use the FlexPass syetem.

Want parking with your AP? Okay, but your AP will come with more blockout day than an AP without parking.

For years I have been posting that DLR needs a reservation based admissions system. I'm so glad Disney is finally listening to me. 😂

mickEblu

Here's a thought, it someone wants to pay 2 grand for a Disney pass with all the bells and whistles, why not sell it?

Why restrict people at each level?

If I pay 1200 for a pass why does the person with a 500 dollar pass have benefits that I don't?

Time to go back to the drawing board.

Yeah that part of it doesn’t make any sense.

D

Deleted member 107043

What's wrong with only offering tickets on a per visit basis? Maybe keeping ticket bundles for repeat visits and tourists, but why must Disneyland have annual passes or memberships? Demand for Disneyland tickets isn't going to significantly diminish under any circumstance as long as the experience is top-notch.

el_super

What's wrong with only offering tickets on a per visit basis? Maybe keeping ticket bundles for repeat visits and tourists, but why must Disneyland have annual passes or memberships? Demand for Disneyland tickets isn't going to significantly diminish under any circumstance as long as the experience is top-notch.

They still need an Annual Pass program. They still need a way to sell underutilized capacity. They just need more control to dictate to the audience when that under used capacity is available.

I know you probably already realize this, but it's worth mentioning, that the old AP blockout calendars that were pre-printed 12 months in advanced, always blocked out the traditional peak crowd periods in the summer and the holidays in the winter. Since the AP program ballooned, those formally slow periods have now been the busiest the park ever sees. The AP program started to generate it's own weather programs and it's become impossible to control and implement strategies for planning those busy days.

The reservation system outlined above, with only 60-90 days of advanced notice, allows them to better align blockouts/availability for APs, while already knowing what their booking numbers are for the hotels.

I know the pricing/options of the above will change, but it will be really interesting to see if the current crop of passholders, would actually be willing to accept an AP without knowing the blockout dates/reservation availability in advance. What if your birthday ends up being a blockout day?

Californian Elitist

An AP was never intended to be used in that manner. Violins & prayers
I understand what you’re saying, but this is false. Before the cancellation, there was a pass that allowed for folks to visit literally every single day if they wanted to

I don’t feel bad for the guy, but he paid for the right to visit every day like he was doing.

Last edited:

Zorro

I'm not sure that I'm in love with any of options listed. I wish Disney would realize that the non-local/out-of-state enthusiast is different from the local. A thousand dollar+ pass may be a hard sell for me, but I'll keep an open mind as this is a fluid situation. Also, if the experience is significantly upgraded in terms of the crowding situation, I might be persuaded. Still, I would like to see something more along Deluxe level pricing, and of course it wouldn't need all the bells and whistles. Even a reasonably priced 5-day park pass would be welcomed.

Californian Elitist

The marketing was all about this though, "visit all year long!".

I even remember something on the parks blog about “popping in for dessert or a meal.” That might have been during the Summer of Star Wars Land failure though
This. Annual passholders were simply doing what Disney allowed them and encouraged them to do.

Disstevefan1

This. Annual passholders were simply doing what Disney allowed them and encouraged them to do.
Annual passes are a great deal for locals and even for folks who planned multiple visits, heck, getting an AP worked to encourage out of town folks to visit more often to get the most from the annual pass.

As for those who think Disney loses money on locals who visit often, I can only speak for my family; we spent money each and every time we visited WDW with our annual pass, money we otherwise not given to the mouse had we not visited WDW and in the case of our family we only visited 12 to 15 days a year.

The thing I loved the most about the AP was the free parking, that’s a huge money saver in its self.

asianway

I understand what you’re saying, but this is false. Before the cancellation, there was a pass that allowed for folks to visit literally every single day if they wanted to

I don’t feel bad for the guy, but he paid for the right to visit every day like he was doing.
I agree but when you open an all you can eat buffet you don’t expect someone to stay 14 hours and puke a couple times during the day even though it’s allowed. Reasonable caps are long overdue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom