News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

mickEblu

I think attendance would plummet if they went to a ticket only system, the beauty of the AP is it makes multiple DL trips affordable to the average person, without an AP option most people would probably go once or twice a year.

DL and DCA combined for 28 million visits in 2019, if the rumored “million APs” were to go from a couple trips a month to a couple trips a year it would decrease overall attendance by approximately 20 million visits, or over 2/3 of total current park attendance. (which makes me think the million is grossly overestimated, but even half a million APs would result in 10 million fewer visits or 1/3 attendance).

That may be great for relieving crowding and increasing per person spending but I don’t see any company implementing a policy that drives away 30-60% of their business.

Agreed and there is no way Disney would do this to themselves in any economy, let alone now. Also when it comes to the parks, they haven’t exactly shown they have any long term strategy. So to think they would eliminate 1/3 of more of their revenue while they try to entice more tourists to come is not realistic. That would have to be a very long game and maybe the flex style APs are a start to that process.

Also agree on the 1-2 times per year. The only way that would change is if they drastically lowered the price of the day tickets.

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

I don’t know about that. Here’s another survey floating around with a $600 pass available

View attachment 526203
Interesting! Here are the two variations I saw - these are really all over the place!

1611455205057.png

or this version:

1611455268126.png

SuddenStorm

When Disneyland does reopen I’m celebrating with a nice dinner at the Blue Bayou. Filet and lobster tail. Right after I renew my annual pass on a monthly payment plan.

My friend, I plan on setting up camp on a Splash log at rope drop and getting as many rides in as possible.

If they're gonna kill it... I may as well do my best to get myself sick of it before it goes. But I went to Disneyland about 75 times last fall, and rode Splash on average three times a trip- so I'm not sure it's possible to get tired of it.

mickEblu

My friend, I plan on setting up camp on a Splash log at rope drop and getting as many rides in as possible.

If they're gonna kill it... I may as well do my best to get myself sick of it before it goes. But I went to Disneyland about 75 times last fall, and rode Splash on average three times a trip- so I'm not sure it's possible to get tired of it.

Hahah Nice!! I’m definitely taking my son on it 2-3 times that first day. That is, if he’s brave enough to ride again after the first time. I’m thinking about sneaking on my 10 month old daughter too haha. Assuming it opens this summer

SuddenStorm

Hahah Nice!! I’m definitely taking my son on it 2-3 times that first day. That is, if he’s brave enough to ride again after the first time. I’m thinking about sneaking on my 10 month old daughter too haha. Assuming it opens this summer

Hold her up on the drop photo, and see how quickly Disneyland security chases you out of the park 🤣.

shambolicdefending

I think attendance would plummet if they went to a ticket only system, the beauty of the AP is it makes multiple DL trips affordable to the average person, without an AP option most people would probably go once or twice a year.

DL and DCA combined for 28 million visits in 2019, if the rumored “million APs” were to go from a couple trips a month to a couple trips a year it would decrease overall attendance by approximately 20 million visits, or over 2/3 of total current park attendance. (which makes me think the million is grossly overestimated, but even half a million APs would result in 10 million fewer visits or 1/3 attendance).

That may be great for relieving crowding and increasing per person spending but I don’t see any company implementing a policy that drives away 30-60% of their business.
A few years ago the Register quoted a Disneyland talking suit saying that APs averaged about 10 visits per year. I don't have time to scrounge up the old article right now, but it's been posted in this forum before.

I believe Micechat has claimed similar numbers from their sources - i.e. APs account for about 10 million gate clicks annually, or a bit over 1/3 of total attendance.

My wild guess is that TDA would prefer to see attendance recover to its previous totals, while having the AP proportion drop down to around 20-25%. Of course it will likely take multiple years to get back to 28 million guests, regardless of what they do with APs. So if there ever was a time to play the long game, it's now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

My wild guess is that TDA would prefer to see attendance recover to its previous totals, while having the AP proportion drop down to around 20-25%. Of course it will likely take multiple years to get back to 28 million guests, regardless of what they do with APs. So if there ever was a time to play the long game, it's now.

I think one of the main reasons Disney stopped officially releasing annual attendance figures (back in the 80s around the time the AP program first launched I think?) is because it didn't want the media or investors focused on traffic as the one and only KPI for Disney Parks' profitability and success. Thus, there are bound to be multiple paths for Disney to recoup losses from any reduction in gate traffic in the wake of APs being discontinued, much in the same way that the company has successfully leveraged Disney+ for content distribution as cable subscriptions have declined and streaming emerged.

flynnibus

Premium Member

They’re happy to see you 10 times a year. What they are not happy about is when you come if you are the type that stress park ops by coming on the peak event days.

The point isn’t necessarily to reduce admissions- but to better manage the potential impact of ap admissions.

Changing the way people pay, when they can go, what the limits are etc... disney can shape AP visiting patterns into things that are better for the company. For example, Maybe instead of 10 3yr stays... someone goes 3 8hr stays... or more people will carpool, etc.

Point is... now they have the opportunity to rewrite the baseline rules.

Touchdown

Glad to see that they included a 6 reservation option, as an out of stater who goes for a week at a time (Tues-Sun) a big reason the original flex pass wasn’t going to work for me was the limited amount of reservations over a short period and my weeks always ending on the most popular days of the week. Other then my October and December trips, no trip I take occurs in 60 days or less, so something like this could work for me, provided summer isn’t blocked out.

Disstevefan1

The "we travel from afar and the AP ensures we come to WDW more..." is not the same scenario as the SoCal locals who have APs and drop in for a half day or for the evening frequently.

They are both APs - but very different demographics and very different pros/cons for the parks.
I agree, Disneyland is a local park and correct me if I am wrong, the majority of visitors are annual pass holders, and the AP was a great deal! Do people blame them for using their AP?

This discussion is moot. Disneyland HAD a great AP program and now it’s gone. One thing we can agree on is this new “membership” program for Disneyland; guests will be paying more and getting less. I will not call the former Disneyland AP holders entitled, these folks were simply using the AP they paid for period. I don’t blame them for being upset; they had a great AP program at a price they thought was a value and that was taken away and a program of a lesser value at a higher cost will be offered..

That would upset anyone, if it be a AP program or a book club..

At this time I would again thank China, but Disney always wanted to make this change, they are just using COVID to justify it.

Maybe it’s TWDC that should be thanking China...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree, Disneyland is a local park and correct me if I am wrong, the majority of visitors are annual pass holders, and the AP was a great deal! Do people blame them for using their AP?

There were still a ton of problems that were beyond “using their ap”. Not everyone, but lets not whitewash history.
This discussion is moot. Disneyland HAD a great AP program and now it’s gone. One thing we can agree on is this new “membership” program for Disneyland; guests will be paying more and getting less.

Maybe for some... for others it could be better.

I will not call the former Disneyland AP holders entitled, these folks were simply using the AP they paid for period.

The “entitlement” word doesn’t get thrown around because of how many times people came. It came from behavior and attitude that grew within portions of the AP base... fostered by their access and privilege.

aaronml

Definitely not a fan of the proposed new approach to APs, though it isn’t surprising.

The reservation system that was developed for DLR and that was used for the Flex Pass was from my understanding originally intended for most/all APs, as well as CMs.

In my view, the Flex Pass approach that had both “reservation required” days as well as “no reservation required” days was absolutely the right approach.

The options in this survey seem to indicate that all AP admittance would require a reservation, which I don’t think will bode well (post-COVID anyhow) with locals who want to be able to go to DLR on a whim, and who don’t want to have to use one of a finite number of “Anytime Reservations” to do so.

In my opinion, they should get rid of “Flex Pass” as a separate offering, and just change all AP tiers other than Signature Plus and/or Premier Passport to a combination of reservation required, no reservation required, and blockout dates. I’d also make the case for a slight decrease in price (given the decrease in value), however the idea of TWDC lowering prices for anything these days is laughable at best unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom