News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

Zorro

A couple of months ago I wanted an In-N-Out, but it was packed and the line of cars was backed up onto the street. I was in a hurry, so I drove down the block to a McDonald's. Big mistake! The line was short and it went fast, but everything else was a disaster. The employees were rude and looked like hell, barely grunted out English, and my Big Mac tasted stale and cheap, almost as if it was Soylent Green instead of beef and buns. The fries were good though.
I told you not to have that Little Caesar salad. (bad pun old movies fans may get).

TP2000

I like In-N-Out and I like their fries.

There. I said it. :p

Good for you!

You know what one thing Covid has done? Since I only go through the drive-thru lane lately, I've gotten in the habit of asking the very polite kid who takes my order to add an extra side of secret sauce. Then I dip the fries in the secret sauce and it really makes them tastier!

Previously, I often went inside and just got ketchup for my fries like a normal American. But the ban on outdoor dining has somehow opened me up to the possibility of free sides of secret sauce!

And finally, one thing In-N-Out does well is they keep their packets of ketchup and sauce chilled in refrigerated drawers before they give them to you. And they ALWAYS ask you if you'd like ketchup. At McDonald's, you have to remember to ask them, and then you get handed a couple of warm packets that have been sitting out in a hot kitchen for days.

It's quite stunning how In-N-Out has mastered the little details like that, chilled ketchup packets, and how badly the crappy chains like McDonald's refuse to care.

mharrington

I'm not an annual passholder, so its cancelation doesn't bother me so much, but rumors persist that that's only the beginning, if Disneyland's eventual reopening is anything like WDW's. The following are also likely to be scrapped, most of which do upset me more:

-FastPasses
-Single Rider lines
-Live shows
-Character meet-n-greets

Does that mean that those things are never coming back again? I may learn to get along without FastPasses and Single Riders, even though both have made it easier to see everything I want. But are character meet-n-greets going to go the way of the dodo?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not an annual passholder, so its cancelation doesn't bother me so much, but rumors persist that that's only the beginning, if Disneyland's eventual reopening is anything like WDW's. The following are also likely to be scrapped, most of which do upset me more:

-FastPasses
-Single Rider lines
-Live shows
-Character meet-n-greets

Does that mean that those things are never coming back again? I may learn to get along without FastPasses and Single Riders, even though both have made it easier to see everything I want. But are character meet-n-greets going to go the way of the dodo?
Live shows have been returning to WDW... slowly.

So, we can't really extrapolate based a few things going away (and some of which likely to come back in a different form) or a few things that have come back.

I dare say, Disney doesn't know fully. They may know what they think they would like to do, but how long they need to enforce pandemic protocols throws any timetable out the window.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"The sudden death of Disneyland’s annual pass program left die-hard passholders reeling from the shock and wondering what will replace the four decade-old AP program.

Disneyland resort President Ken Potrock said during an interview with reporters that the Anaheim theme park will be seeking feedback from passholders on factors such as price, frequency, spontaneity and the time of day, week and year they’d like to use the new replacement program.

Potrock spoke in broad terms about a “membership offering” that would replace Disneyland’s AP program and provided some clues about what that could look like."

"Disneyland’s new membership program — which is already in development — will deliver choice, flexibility and value, according to Potrock. The goal: Spread out attendance at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure while satisfying the largest number of people.

“We’re going to use this time as an opportunity to develop new offerings and a new way to think about the business given the situation we find ourselves in,” Potrock said."

“We’re trying to understand: What do people want in this new world?,” Potrock said. “When do they want to access our parks? How frequently do they want to access our parks? With what level of spontaneity? With what level of value? All of those kinds of things and many more.”

“There’s nothing off the table as we begin to think about things that are important for people,” Potrock said. “Whether it’s the number of times that they visit on a product offering. Whether it’s when. Is it midweek or weekend? Is it morning or afternoon? Is it day-part oriented? It’s all of those kinds of things that we’re incredibly curious to hear back from the guests about.”

“This is not designed to limit choice and flexibility. It’s designed to enhance choice and flexibility,” Potrock said. “People may say, ‘Here’s how I’ve always used it.’ People may say, ‘Here’s what I bought, but I didn’t quite use it and optimize it.’ People may say, ‘I have a different family structure or my financial situation is different. I would love to do it a little bit differently than I’ve done in the past.’ What we’re hoping to be able to provide is the choice and flexibility for all of those different evolving states.”

asianway

Good for you!

You know what one thing Covid has done? Since I only go through the drive-thru lane lately, I've gotten in the habit of asking the very polite kid who takes my order to add an extra side of secret sauce. Then I dip the fries in the secret sauce and it really makes them tastier!

Previously, I often went inside and just got ketchup for my fries like a normal American. But the ban on outdoor dining has somehow opened me up to the possibility of free sides of secret sauce!

And finally, one thing In-N-Out does well is they keep their packets of ketchup and sauce chilled in refrigerated drawers before they give them to you. And they ALWAYS ask you if you'd like ketchup. At McDonald's, you have to remember to ask them, and then you get handed a couple of warm packets that have been sitting out in a hot kitchen for days.

It's quite stunning how In-N-Out has mastered the little details like that, chilled ketchup packets, and how badly the crappy chains like McDonald's refuse to care.
McDs is also notorious for having a leaky packet of ketchup contaminate the whole bucket. Ewww

asianway

"The sudden death of Disneyland’s annual pass program left die-hard passholders reeling from the shock and wondering what will replace the four decade-old AP program.

Disneyland resort President Ken Potrock said during an interview with reporters that the Anaheim theme park will be seeking feedback from passholders on factors such as price, frequency, spontaneity and the time of day, week and year they’d like to use the new replacement program.

Potrock spoke in broad terms about a “membership offering” that would replace Disneyland’s AP program and provided some clues about what that could look like."

"Disneyland’s new membership program — which is already in development — will deliver choice, flexibility and value, according to Potrock. The goal: Spread out attendance at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure while satisfying the largest number of people.

“We’re going to use this time as an opportunity to develop new offerings and a new way to think about the business given the situation we find ourselves in,” Potrock said."

“We’re trying to understand: What do people want in this new world?,” Potrock said. “When do they want to access our parks? How frequently do they want to access our parks? With what level of spontaneity? With what level of value? All of those kinds of things and many more.”

“There’s nothing off the table as we begin to think about things that are important for people,” Potrock said. “Whether it’s the number of times that they visit on a product offering. Whether it’s when. Is it midweek or weekend? Is it morning or afternoon? Is it day-part oriented? It’s all of those kinds of things that we’re incredibly curious to hear back from the guests about.”

“This is not designed to limit choice and flexibility. It’s designed to enhance choice and flexibility,” Potrock said. “People may say, ‘Here’s how I’ve always used it.’ People may say, ‘Here’s what I bought, but I didn’t quite use it and optimize it.’ People may say, ‘I have a different family structure or my financial situation is different. I would love to do it a little bit differently than I’ve done in the past.’ What we’re hoping to be able to provide is the choice and flexibility for all of those different evolving states.”

Sounds like they’re turning the parks into a timeshare

D

Deleted member 107043

Whew boy, Disneyland is terrible at this. 🤦🏾‍♂️

shambolicdefending

Investopedia writer pokes an already angry bear...

"These decisions are driven by analyses showing pass holders to be among the least profitable visitors to these theme parks, combined with state-mandated restrictions on attendance in response to COVID-19."

"The holders of annual passes to the aforementioned Disney theme parks are mainly local residents who tend to spend significantly less on food and merchandise than visitors from afar. Additionally, these pass holders are, as a result of living nearby, highly unlikely to book rooms at the Disney-operated hotels associated with these parks. Moreover, despite rapid escalations in the prices of passes over the years, the effective entrance fee revenue per visit from pass holders often works out to be significantly less than the daily or multi-day fees paid by other visitors."

"Meanwhile, especially at the California parks, which have an estimated 1 million pass holders, pass holders add to overcrowding, which diminishes the experience for the more profitable guests. As a result, a number of these preferred visitors become less enthusiastic about returning in the future."

Curious Constance

"These decisions are driven by analyses showing pass holders to be among the least profitable visitors to these theme parks, combined with state-mandated restrictions on attendance in response to COVID-19."

"The holders of annual passes to the aforementioned Disney theme parks are mainly local residents who tend to spend significantly less on food and merchandise than visitors from afar. Additionally, these pass holders are, as a result of living nearby, highly unlikely to book rooms at the Disney-operated hotels associated with these parks. Moreover, despite rapid escalations in the prices of passes over the years, the effective entrance fee revenue per visit from pass holders often works out to be significantly less than the daily or multi-day fees paid by other visitors."

"Meanwhile, especially at the California parks, which have an estimated 1 million pass holders, pass holders add to overcrowding, which diminishes the experience for the more profitable guests. As a result, a number of these preferred visitors become less enthusiastic about returning in
Wow, this guy says ALL the right things. I’m swooning over here!!! 🥰

Stevek

"Meanwhile, especially at the California parks, which have an estimated 1 million pass holders, pass holders add to overcrowding, which diminishes the experience for the more profitable guests. As a result, a number of these preferred visitors become less enthusiastic about returning in the future."
Rick And Morty GIF by Adult Swim

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom