News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I could record a 30 minute video of my foot and put it on Youtube. That would be considered content. Some may consider it art... :p Never the less, creating videos for others to watch is creating content.
I disagree. The foot is your own foot. filming someone's else's property is it not creating content. you made a video featuring someone else's work but you didn't create that work therefore you did not create the content you are showing off.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

If they provide a service, in this case content production, and get paid for it that is the very definition of a job.

Just because you don't see value in their content doesn't mean its not a job. Also if people want to pay them, who are you to say its not a job. They provide a service to those people, and they are more than willing to pay. No one is forcing them to hand over their money to the vlogger, they do it on their own.

The same could be said for gamers who stream or make videos their game play. They are making money off of the game developer, but yet in a lot of cases the game developer provides their blessing and in some cases even sponsors those streamers.

In this case Disney has provided their blessing even if unofficially for the benefit of promoting the Parks. So if Disney doesn't mind why do you?
I Disagree with you on all your points. lets just agree to disagree.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

The only good online Disney content are @marni1971's videos for their detailed historical information (and nostalgia), and music loops. Though I'll also maybe watch a comment-free POV attraction video from time to time.
Agreed. His Rise of the Resistance video is more of a detailed analysis and documentary plus love letter to the ride. Truly an amazing video on every level. Left me speechless. it is not a "vlogging video" at all. BIG DIFFERENCE between that content and what other "vloggers" do.

Brer Oswald

Just piggybacking off of you:

I know many are not fans of vloggers or YouTubers. However, seeing as how there are thousands of people who make a living off Youtube these days, or Instagram, or one of the many content platforms... it certainly can be a job.

Example: The Tracker's (I know many in here do not like them) have been able to quit their jobs, buy a house, own a Tesla, and live a comfortable life strictly off of their YouTube channel and daily vlogs. That is their job. They have close to 825K subscribers.

Now, is the Disney market oversaturated? Sure. Are there many people who are trying to make money off of the brand, but not really getting much out of it? Certainly.

But the disdain by some in here is quite frankly... disturbing.
It’s jealousy, combined with a game of follow the leader. “Person I like hates the Trackers (maybe they’re jealous) so I hate them too”. I know because I was like that no later than 9 months ago. Sure, they may have said some insanely dumb stuff in the past, and they act a little cringe sometimes, but how does that affect me?

It doesn’t. I can’t bring myself to hate people like that anymore. Same reason I can’t bring myself to hate Tom. Hasn’t done anything to me.

Sometimes, I feel like this community is filled with way too much hate towards others. It’s such a waste of energy.

Sure, I might joke about Michael Kay’s weird obsession with milkshakes from time to time, or how he pronounces Chipotle, but hating him is too extreme.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Ok, but I'll just say that the AP program going away isn't going to stop the vloggers from creating content and it isn't going to stop people watching their content. So I don't know why you waste energy on hating them.
The subject came up during the thread so I was just sharing my thoughts. I Do think it will effect their ability to go as often as they would so i think it is going to effect them in some capacity. hopefully for the betterment of the park.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think Disney loves the vloggers because it provides tons of content for their fans, keeps the parks on their mind, and it doesn’t cost Disney a cent.

They don’t control them but they do influence their content somewhat through freebies like invitations to events, free rooms, etc.

I totally get that, but as someone who engages in marketing at a large well-known corporation I can tell you this strategy is inadequate for managing the most loyal customers, especially given the magnitude of what Disneyland is and represents. Allowing external v-loggers and youtubers to easily create unsanctioned ad hoc messaging, develop large personal followings, and do all this without a robust competing internal strategy is a mistake.

Stevek

Nice to see Pete being his level headed self. :banghead: 🤦‍♂️ Disneyland fans are going to "Storm the Castle"! He's the epitome of the overly addicted, out of touch with real life members of the fanbase.

I disagree. The foot is your own foot. filming someone's else's property is it not creating content. you made a video featuring someone else's work but you didn't create that work therefore you did not create the content you are showing off.
I'm starting to think you don't know what content means... This topic isn't subjective. Sorry man, you are wrong.

PiratesMansion

I think another effect will be no more free fast passes. Everything will move to the Max Pass model.
Perhaps eventually, but it's worth noting that this has yet to happen at any of the parks. Even as the parks have moved into more premium options/tiers, the free option still exists and still basically works. Not as well, of course, but hardly useless.
I've never been to DL, but we will be going as soon as the restrictions are lifted there.
I do think that many people make the trek from other states, even in the East, MidWest(us), for a vacation destination.
We know what WDW has to offer, and at this point, that is diminishing all the time. It's uber expensive with continued cutting of experiences. People are getting tired of this. I know we are.
So, before the DME announcement, we had already decided to go to DL this year and visit other sites in California. No more disneyworld for us. Too much has changed, for the worst, IMO.
I can't wait to see DL and experience it.
I don't have an opinion on the AP matter, as I don't know anything about it and haven't been there yet.
But it seems to me that DL was a local's park when it opened, which has outgrown the need for that on disney's part. Just MHO.
Perhaps where you live it's different, but in the Chicago area the amount of people that go to DL instead of WDW is virtually nonexistant, even though there's not that much of a difference between the two in terms of transit time or even cost if you fly. People will invariably say to me, even though I've been many times, that I'll be disappointed because it's smaller, etc. The thought that the smaller park could be BETTER is inconceivable to them. Florida in general is just too ingrained in people here.

Hopefully the situation will get under control soon and you'll be able to head west. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip!
Why do you think there will be limited capacity well into 2022 and possibly into 2023? Feasibly, vaccines are available to those in the US come Summer 2021. Maybe limited capacity as more of a ramp-up in 2021, but caps should be lifted by the end of 2021. What am I missing?
I have read that if vaccination rollout continued as it is now, it would take ten years to get everyone vaccinated, and of course there are a disturbingly high number of people refusing the vaccination. Of course, as soon as next week rapid change could theoretically begin.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Always too crowded yet wait times were half of what they are at WDW. People go to Disney World, because it’s Disney World and they assume it’s superior. Not to mention, Disney markets the hell out of the Florida resort to those in the East and Midwest.
I think the wait time differences are due to how Fastpasses are handled in each park. That's a different discussion.

Anyway, I'm not talking about vacationers from the East coast. I'm just talking about here in California. Here in NorCal anyone I talk to about Disneyland tells me the same thing. It's too crowded. It leaves a bad taste in their mouths, so they don't go anymore. Go read the comments section of any major California newspaper article on Disneyland. It's always the same. It's too crowded.

Disneyland functioned just fine before the AP program started. Trust me, for every AP lost there is a vacationer to take their place. Disneyland won't be empty over this and Disney will not be scrambling to bring some kind of equivalent AP program back. The emptiness of Summer '19 isn't any indication either because people stayed away in anticipation of large crowds. Time will tell if I'm wrong, but Disneyland will still be packed with people, just different people.

Zorro

How to sell less for more? Speaking as an out of state person, when I had an active AP, I would try to take about two to three five to eight day trips to the park per year. When you factor in the airfare, transportation, hotel accommodations, and food, it wasn't exactly inexpensive. If I could be reasonably assured of lighter crowds, I wouldn't necessarily mind paying a bit of a premium for a three day trip. It would be the whole quality over quantity proposition. When Disney announces whatever plans it has, I'll take a look at them and do some number crunching to see if it makes economic sense to me, and I'll even compare it to what I can get at WDW.

As for the vloggers, I find their online personalities obnoxious. If I want to watch some Youtube Disney video, I don't want some Jay Leno/Guy Fieri wannabe competing with the park for attention. That's why I normally keep to the LMG-type low light videos with absolutely no commentary or someone pointing their cameras at their face for the nostril close-ups. Oddly enough, when the pandemic started and the parks closed, I took a peek at some of the vloggers to see how they were reacting, and some of them - perhaps because of the tenor of the times - were actually acting normal and seemingly weren't trying to perform for the camera. For once, their videos were watchable for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom