News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

el_super

Why wasn’t this change made a couple months into closing then? Or before the “summer reopening” was announced? Why did it take almost 10 months into the shutdown to make this call if they wanted to do this so bad? I don’t doubt they wanted to change the program, but they had plenty of opportunity to do so and didn’t until they had no other choice.

The announcement to scrap AP’s entirely came just after the extremely restrictive reopening guidelines came out — when Disneyland had no other choice, but to ditch them. They held out as long as they could, but it was never going to make sense to keep AP’s around while being forced into 15% capacity until 2022.

You're made a couple of big assumptions here which I think are false. First, you seem to think they had no other choice but to kill the program due to capacity, but we've seen in Florida that they could have limited the number of AP slots available per day while still allowing admission. They could have also just paused the program and allowed admissions for APs at a later date, continually extending out the expiration dates. There were probably a lot of other options in-between, but they went with killing it off entirely.

Second, and most importantly, you are assuming that their goal was to completely fill out the park and book ALL the available reservations. That wasn't it. Their goal is to maximize their profit, and they can do that by increasing the revenue per visitor coming in, while reducing operating costs. THAT was their goal and the AP program runs counter to that. Fewer people paying more per person is what they want.

Third, understanding what prompted the change 10 months into a pandemic, versus 3 months is a matter of understanding the value of the product they are selling. It's the same reason they offered Touch of Disney at DCA and never offered anything at Disneyland: Access. After being closed for nearly 14 months, the value of access to Disneyland skyrocketed to where they realized even AP holders would be willing to pay more per entry to go back to the park. Any plan they would have had pre-pandemic to slowly burn down the AP program would have been implemented over the course of years, had the park stayed open and people were coming off having unlimited access.

By limiting access now, they will continue to push the value of access to Disneyland up beyond what the previous AP program would be able to support.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't see them splitting off DCA - they always want to be able to tell people 'if not DL, DCA is still available!'
The pie-in-the-sky possible spit-balled white-boarded for-illustrative-purposes-only proposal for the expansion of DLR gives a lot more acreage to DCA than to DL.

So, some hope that DCA can become competitive... maybe... possibly... at some unknown time in the future.

Californian Elitist

Where's your counter argument? You haven't offered anything except you disagreed.

What do you mean "deter"? Do you even know the definition of "deter"?
There is no “argument” because what you said is factually incorrect. False.

I absolutely am aware of the definition and am also aware that it can be used in this context.

DanielBB8

There is no “argument” because what you said is factually incorrect. False.

I absolutely am aware of the definition and am also aware that it can be used in this context.
Saying false means you have something to back you up, but you presented nothing. You’re not deterred. You dragged this way beyond reason.

Californian Elitist

Saying false means you have something to back you up, but you presented nothing. You’re not deterred. You dragged this way beyond reason.
And you told me to have a nice day and yet you’re still here responding to me.

I don’t have to prove that only locals visit Disneyland because it’s obviously factually incorrect.

I’ll end it by doing what you initially attempted and tell you to have a nice day.

Disstevefan1

You're made a couple of big assumptions here which I think are false. First, you seem to think they had no other choice but to kill the program due to capacity, but we've seen in Florida that they could have limited the number of AP slots available per day while still allowing admission. They could have also just paused the program and allowed admissions for APs at a later date, continually extending out the expiration dates. There were probably a lot of other options in-between, but they went with killing it off entirely.

Second, and most importantly, you are assuming that their goal was to completely fill out the park and book ALL the available reservations. That wasn't it. Their goal is to maximize their profit, and they can do that by increasing the revenue per visitor coming in, while reducing operating costs. THAT was their goal and the AP program runs counter to that. Fewer people paying more per person is what they want.

Third, understanding what prompted the change 10 months into a pandemic, versus 3 months is a matter of understanding the value of the product they are selling. It's the same reason they offered Touch of Disney at DCA and never offered anything at Disneyland: Access. After being closed for nearly 14 months, the value of access to Disneyland skyrocketed to where they realized even AP holders would be willing to pay more per entry to go back to the park. Any plan they would have had pre-pandemic to slowly burn down the AP program would have been implemented over the course of years, had the park stayed open and people were coming off having unlimited access.

By limiting access now, they will continue to push the value of access to Disneyland up beyond what the previous AP program would be able to support.
In my mind, For the DLR APers, it’s like the drug supplier cutting off the supply cold turkey. There are a lot of APers that will happily purchase one day tickets, or multi day tickets, or whatever to get their fix, remember they get 30 percent off stuff 😀

I am guessing DLR will not offer the new “membership program” until they begin to see ticket sales start to go down.

Its fun to speculate, but in the end, like I have said many times before, Disney will do whatever they want and we as fans just gotta deal with it.

Its Disney’s world, we just visit it 😀

DanielBB8

And you told me to have a nice day and yet you’re still here responding to me.

I don’t have to prove that only locals visit Disneyland because it’s obviously factually incorrect.

I’ll end it by doing what you initially attempted and tell you to have a nice day.
I told you to have a nice day because you didn't argue anything. Now that I understood what you problem is, I had to respond.

I didn't say ONLY LOCALS VISIT DISNEYLAND. That's false reading and I will not let it stand. I said "Everyone is literally a local at Anaheim." In other words, everyone is treated like a local because that's the end result of their business strategy. How you misinterpret when I had a whole paragraph to back me up is astounding.

Disstevefan1

I told you to have a nice day because you didn't argue anything. Now that I understood what you problem is, I had to respond.

I didn't say ONLY LOCALS VISIT DISNEYLAND. That's false reading and I will not let it stand. I said "Everyone is literally a local at Anaheim." In other words, everyone is treated like a local because that's the end result of their business strategy. How you misinterpret when I had a whole paragraph to back me up is astounding.
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but something like 75 percent of the visitors to DLR (were) Annual pass holders?

el_super

I didn't say ONLY LOCALS VISIT DISNEYLAND. That's false reading and I will not let it stand. I said "Everyone is literally a local at Anaheim." In other words, everyone is treated like a local

That's not really what literally means. I think you meant figuratively.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but something like 75 percent of the visitors to DLR (were) Annual pass holders?

It was probably closer to 40-50%, but it was definitely a lot.

Californian Elitist

If that’s actually what you meant, then WHY DIDN’T YOU CORRECT ME FROM THE GET GO?? It took you MULTIPLE POSTS to FINALLY CLARIFY WHAT YOU MEANT.

Don’t come for my reading comprehension when you YOU FAILED TO CLARIFY A STATEMENT THAT COULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN LITERALLY. Also, refrain from using “LITERALLY” when something isn’t literal.

DanielBB8

That's not really what literally means. I think you meant figuratively.
That's if you don't know a further definition for Literally like the 4th one.

• in the literal or strict sense:She failed to grasp the metaphor and interpreted the poem literally.What does the word mean literally?
  • in a literal manner; word for word:to translate literally.
  • actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy:The city was literally destroyed.
  • in effect; in substance; very nearly; virtually: I literally died when she walked out on stage in that costume.

el_super

That's if you don't know a further definition for Literally like the 4th one.

I understand that the word has evolved to also include the exact opposite meaning. That's why it's important to choose your words carefully. If you really meant figuratively instead of implying that 100% of DL's audience is local, you needed to communicate that better and maybe use a different word.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom