News Disneyland Adds Alcohol to Blue Bayou Menu

Mac Tonight

Anyone who continues to expect current decision-making to abide by Walt Disney’s wishes at the time he was living is kidding themselves and will find themselves in a cycle of disappointment.
Trust me, I don’t expect current Disney management even knows what Walt’s wishes are/were, let alone try to abide by any of them.

Like I originally said, I was just getting it off my chest ;)

fctiger

I was mostly saying I disagree that it is outdated. The idea that a Disney castle park shouldn’t sell alcohol isn’t outdated imho.

Many of my favorite theme parks are alcohol free- Dollywood, Silver Dollar City and Holiday World. I do agree that most major parks serve alcohol... I also believe that a Disney castle park should be different than “most major parks” but again that’s my opinion.

In the end it really doesn’t bother me until it comes to the carts and kiosks.

Alright fair enough. I just never had an issue with it personally. But same time, they kept the rule, I would've been fine with that as I always been until it was introduced in GE. And I think even if there are people who don't like it, I think the overwhelming majority just doesn't have an issue with it since you can drink all over the place at the resort now and no one puts up a fuss. And it's probably weird to some people you can go to DCA and literally drink in every inch of that park (they even let you drink in the lines) but then can't even get a beer right across from the esplanade. It's just odd mix messaging when it's literally the same company and area.

And to be more honest, most vacationers probably like the idea of being able to drink, at least a little. They tried to pull that on Disneyland Paris when it first opened, and it didn't last long lol.

DanielBB8

Alright fair enough. I just never had an issue with it personally. But same time, they kept the rule, I would've been fine with that as I always been until it was introduced in GE. And I think even if there are people who don't like it, I think the overwhelming majority just doesn't have an issue with it since you can drink all over the place at the resort now and no one puts up a fuss. And it's probably weird to some people you can go to DCA and literally drink in every inch of that park (they even let you drink in the lines) but then can't even get a beer right across from the esplanade. It's just odd mix messaging when it's literally the same company and area.

And to be more honest, most vacationers probably like the idea of being able to drink, at least a little. They tried to pull that on Disneyland Paris when it first opened, and it didn't last long lol.
So now it’s about consistency of the rules? Rules are whatever they make at the time and place. There will never be consistency since every place is run differently. Just because DCA is more liberal and GE has a Cantina does not mean it implies there’s a rule that the Blue Bayou or the rest of Disneyland should follow because consistency.

What “mixed messaging”? Alcohol is sold here Consume it here. That’s the rule. That’s what a liquor license means.

PiratesMansion

It's worth pointing out that it was never impossible to be drunk (or encounter drunk people) inside Disneyland even if most people couldn't buy alcohol there.

Even before DCA, the park had a number of establishments across the street and a monorail to a hotel where alcohol was freely available. And, of course, Club 33 and (way, way back) Holidayland.

I think the other castle parks have shown that incorporating alcohol at table service restaurants, and only table service restaurants, has not had an appreciable negative effect on the atmosphere while adding to Disney's bottom line in a way that does not exclude other people, nor does it result in cuts.

So I think it's a win-win for 99% of guests.

Maybe I've been very lucky, but in the 20 years I've been going to parks, the only place I've ever encountered belligerent, obnoxious drunks has been one time at Knott's Scary Farm. And theme park drinks, as has been said, are typically expensive enough to ward off a lot of the worst behavior people tend to assume happens when alcohol becomes available.

Mac Tonight

It's worth pointing out that it was never impossible to be drunk (or encounter drunk people) inside Disneyland even if most people couldn't buy alcohol there.

Even before DCA, the park had a number of establishments across the street and a monorail to a hotel where alcohol was freely available. And, of course, Club 33 and (way, way back) Holidayland.

I think the other castle parks have shown that incorporating alcohol at table service restaurants, and only table service restaurants, has not had an appreciable negative effect on the atmosphere while adding to Disney's bottom line in a way that does not exclude other people, nor does it result in cuts.

So I think it's a win-win for 99% of guests.

Maybe I've been very lucky, but in the 20 years I've been going to parks, the only place I've ever encountered belligerent, obnoxious drunks has been one time at Knott's Scary Farm. And theme park drinks, as has been said, are typically expensive enough to ward off a lot of the worst behavior people tend to assume happens when alcohol becomes available.
Sadly, you’re 100% correct that it has never been impossible for someone to be drunk at Disneyland.

This guy sets a great example for all the kids out there...

DLR92

I think it about time an high end restaurant serving some alcohol. It not high end eatery without some wine!

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I am happy to read this news. it is about time to treat adults like adults at the sit in restaurants. There is nothing wrong with an adult having some wine or beer with their pricey meal. Adults dont want to drink soda, tea or water when they are having a nice dinner. Now the liqour should only be served at the sit down places. Don't need guests walking around with Bud Light cans but while eating a meal this is how it should be done and its should have been done years ago. This is a change I actually support.

fctiger

So now it’s about consistency of the rules? Rules are whatever they make at the time and place. There will never be consistency since every place is run differently. Just because DCA is more liberal and GE has a Cantina does not mean it implies there’s a rule that the Blue Bayou or the rest of Disneyland should follow because consistency.

What “mixed messaging”? Alcohol is sold here Consume it here. That’s the rule. That’s what a liquor license means.

No, that doesn't really matter, but it is silly. Disney does not care about drinking. They actively encourage it. But I get the symbolism about not having it in Disneyland, but I think that 'symbolism' is pretty empty when you are drinking all day long and basically already drunk when you enter Disneyland.

That and the fact drinking has already started inside Disneyland well over a year ago now. But we're talking about it as if this the first time alcohol is being allowed lol. It's already there now. Now it's just compartmentalization at this point, ie, it's OK to drink here, but not there.

And for people who don't want alcohol in the park, I understand I do. And if they kept to that rule it wouldn't be a big deal. But it was always a matter of time, especially as they seen over the years how much people like drinking at the resort. It's the reason why they added or expanded so many new drinking areas. Actually once it was added in MK, that was probably the beginning of the end.

fctiger

I am happy to read this news. it is about time to treat adults like adults at the sit in restaurants. There is nothing wrong with an adult having some wine or beer with their pricey meal. Adults dont want to drink soda, tea or water when they are having a nice dinner. Now the liqour should only be served at the sit down places. Don't need guests walking around with Bud Light cans but while eating a meal this is how it should be done and its should have been done years ago. This is a change I actually support.

Woah, I think this is the first time we fully agreed with something! 😂

TP2000

I'm about as big of a Disneyland purist and/or traditionalist as you will ever meet, but this teetotaler doesn't necessarily have a problem with this change. It is true that Walt didn't want alcohol in the park (his private booze stash in his apartment aside), but if you look at his comments, his issue seemed to be more with the atmosphere sometimes found with unregulated drinking...

Exactly! The Prohibition inside Disneyland per Walt needs to be viewed within the timeframe of 1955.

It's no longer 1955.

I'm all for banning booze. It isn't some bizarre antiquated thing that should be done away with in the 21st Century and called "Progress", "Plussing", "Inclusive" and other buzzwords. It's nothing positive, really. It's all about profits.

Booze was kept out of Disneyland for a very long time because Walt designed it that way aside from exclusive areas not accessible to the general public, and they managed to honor it until that spray-tanned baldie took charge.

I just like this post because you are smart enough to recognize that Bob Chapek has had some work done. Botox. Fillers. Lasers. Tanning. Eyebags. Teeth. There's obviously work there. From the finest Med-Spas that Calabasas can offer.

Because he was balding by 28 and went full skinhead by age 45, his non-hair is not an aesthetic option to recover now.

But thanks to Calabasas strip mall Med-Spa science, Bob Chapek is a 60 year old dull straight man who is as fresh as springtime! :cool:

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Exactly! The Prohibition inside Disneyland per Walt needs to be viewed within the timeframe of 1955.

It's no longer 1955.

I just like this post because you are smart enough to recognize that Bob Chapek has had some work done. Botox. Fillers. Lasers. Tanning. Eyebags. Teeth. There's obviously work there. From the finest Medi-Spas that Calabasas can offer.

Bob Chapek is a 60 year old straight man who is as fresh as springtime! :cool:
1617340369247.png

DanielBB8

It's no longer 1955.
But the ghost of Senator Joseph McCarthy lives on in Disney as they remove all references to anything possibly offensive to modern sensibilities except drinking. I'll drink to that.

Stevek

Anyone who continues to expect current decision-making to abide by Walt Disney’s wishes at the time he was living is kidding themselves and will find themselves in a cycle of disappointment.
Exactly. The whole, "What would Walt do?" argument always bugs me. He was alive a whole 11 years of the parks 66 year existence and NOBODY can predict how things would have changed had he lived longer. Do I think the park "needs" to have alcohol served? No, but a couple of places isn't going to hurt anyone and quite honestly as others have pointed out, if you want to get drunk and go to Disneyland you can drink a ton either at DCA or DTD and head on in to Disneyland.

Californian Elitist

Exactly. The whole, "What would Walt do?" argument always bugs me. He was alive a whole 11 years of the parks 66 year existence and NOBODY can predict how things would have changed had he lived longer. Do I think the park "needs" to have alcohol served? No, but a couple of places isn't going to hurt anyone and quite honestly as others have pointed out, if you want to get drunk and go to Disneyland you can drink a ton either at DCA or DTD and head on in to Disneyland.
Absolutely. It’s rare for pretty much anything to stay traditional forever, let alone Disneyland. Also, the park has changed so much over 60+ years that it should be very obvious to folks that nothing is guaranteed to stay the same forever.

I agree that Disneyland doesn’t necessarily need alcohol, but its new presence at Blue Bayou is really no big deal to me.🤷🏾‍♀️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom