News Disneyland Adds Alcohol to Blue Bayou Menu

Kyle’s Dad Sent Me

It’s not like California Adventure 50 feet away (with the exact same crowd because of park-hopping and APs) is full of drunk adults. I’ve never seen someone visibly intoxicated there. Disney drinks are overpriced and have a drop of alcohol in them. If you can somehow get drunk on them while eating nothing but carbs and walking 20 miles in a day then that’s impressive.

Mac Tonight

It’s not like California Adventure 50 feet away (with the exact same crowd because of park-hopping and APs) is full of drunk adults. I’ve never seen someone visibly intoxicated there. Disney drinks are overpriced and have a drop of alcohol in them. If you can somehow get drunk on them while eating nothing but carbs and walking 20 miles in a day then that’s impressive.
YouTube is your friend.

But be forewarned, you won’t get this time (or brain cells) back...

fctiger

I disagree.

You disagree nearly every theme park including the overwhelming Disney parks has alcohol or just not drinking in DL is outdated?

I'm assuming you are saying the latter, but it is. Why? Because it's limited only to DL. DCA, DTD, both hotels you can drink to your delight from 8 a..m. to 2 a.m. That's why it's outdated, it's not some moral decree the company itself believes in or there wouldn't be alcohol ANYWHERE and yet it's everywhere lol. I have been to places where drinking is actually forbidden in certain countries or areas of countries.

But it's ridiculous to say somehow it's wrong for DL, but literally every place in the resort it's more than welcomed. Hence, it's outdated.

fctiger

I have. But not as frequently as Epcot.

I have too, at DTD, the hotels and a few times at DCA. I been intoxicated myself there lol. Especially when they had the dance parties. But since they got rid of those I don't see it as much.
Which is literally why it's so ridiculous. People have been drinking at DCA then and going to DL for well over a decade now. Most people just drink at DCA and then stroll into DL. Or DTD. Or the hotels. Disney is not discouraging anyone from drinking. DL has just as many drunk people in the park as the rest of the resort. They simply drunk someplace else first. We use to go to DL, to go TS for drinks and then go back to the park. This was a ritual for a few years. Why it's so outdated now. Maybe if we didn't have DTD and DCA, you can make the case for it. But now?

And it's very hard to get stoned drunk at the resort because it's so ridiculously expensive. Most of us would have 2-3 drinks tops and that was throughout the day.

DanielBB8

Nearly every theme park has alcohol including the overwhelming of Disney parks. It's just a very outdated idea. Maybe in the 50s it made sense because it was the 50s. Today it's really outdated.
Yeah, it’s now the 2020s, a century after the 1920s. The unProhibition.

TrainsOfDisney

You disagree nearly every theme park including the overwhelming Disney parks has alcohol or just not drinking in DL is outdated?

I'm assuming you are saying the latter, but it is. Why? Because it's limited only to DL. DCA, DTD, both hotels you can drink to your delight from 8 a..m. to 2 a.m. That's why it's outdated, it's not some moral decree the company itself believes in or there wouldn't be alcohol ANYWHERE and yet it's everywhere lol. I have been to places where drinking is actually forbidden in certain countries or areas of countries.

But it's ridiculous to say somehow it's wrong for DL, but literally every place in the resort it's more than welcomed. Hence, it's outdated.
I was mostly saying I disagree that it is outdated. The idea that a Disney castle park shouldn’t sell alcohol isn’t outdated imho.

Many of my favorite theme parks are alcohol free- Dollywood, Silver Dollar City and Holiday World. I do agree that most major parks serve alcohol... I also believe that a Disney castle park should be different than “most major parks” but again that’s my opinion.

In the end it really doesn’t bother me until it comes to the carts and kiosks.

Disney Analyst

I'm all for banning booze. It isn't some bizarre antiquated thing that should be done away with in the 21st Century and called "Progress", "Plussing", "Inclusive" and other buzzwords. It's nothing positive, really. It's all about profits.

Booze was kept out of Disneyland for a very long time because Walt designed it that way aside from exclusive areas not accessible to the general public, and they managed to honor it until that spray-tanned baldie took charge.

I'm kind of astounded by the overwhelming support here for boozing up Disneyland, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Everyone was so up-in-arms when they sold dolls in the Main Street Theater, but we're fine with turning Disneyland into an alcoholic park. Buncha nutjobs here.

The pot calling the kettle black...

Mac Tonight

(Full disclosure, I’m not looking to start a discussion on this since I’m fully aware the ship sailed back with the GE Cantina, but I just needed to get this off my chest.)

I know some people here like to think DL following Walt’s “no booze within the berm” guidance somehow made the parks “antiquated” or “behind the times” but honestly, for me it was one of the very few remaining examples of how Disneyland actually strived to be different and set themselves apart from other parks (yes, even other Disney parks) by still caring about what their founder stood for. Also, I can’t say enough how poor an argument it is to be in favor of “change” simply due to the passage of time. “Wait, you mean it’s _________(insert calendar year)? We better get that beer flowing, stat!” This decision was 100% not made with that in mind.

Leave it to the Bob’s to continue jack-hammering away at Walt’s park strictly in the name of profit. It’s sad.

Having said that, enjoy your over-priced booze, folks. My guess is that a lot of you, if you weren’t already eating at B.B. before, aren’t gonna suddenly start eating there just because of this... but what do I know?

Lastly, and here I’ll really ruffle some feathers, but if you honestly need a drink to make it through a day at the parks, well, you have my sympathy.

xDisneylandx forever.

Californian Elitist

(Full disclosure, I’m not looking to start a discussion on this since I’m fully aware the ship sailed back with the GE Cantina, but I just needed to get this off my chest.)

I know some people here like to think DL following Walt’s “no booze within the berm” guidance somehow made the parks “antiquated” or “behind the times” but honestly, for me it was one of the very few remaining examples of how Disneyland actually strived to be different and set themselves apart from other parks (yes, even other Disney parks) by still caring about what their founder stood for. Also, I can’t say enough how poor an argument it is to be in favor of “change” simply due to the passage of time. “Wait, you mean it’s _________(insert calendar year)? We better get that beer flowing, stat!” This decision was 100% not made with that in mind.

Leave it to the Bob’s to continue jack-hammering away at Walt’s park strictly in the name of profit. It’s sad.

Having said that, enjoy your over-priced booze, folks. My guess is that a lot of you, if you weren’t already eating at B.B. before, aren’t gonna suddenly start eating there just because of this... but what do I know?

Lastly, and here I’ll really ruffle some feathers, but if you honestly need a drink to make it through a day at the parks, well, you have my sympathy.

xDisneylandx forever.
You are looking to start a discussion, hence why you posted this. :)

Regarding your comment about folks needing a drink to spend a day at the parks, did anyone here insinuate that? I don’t remember.

Mac Tonight

You are looking to start a discussion, hence why you posted this. :)

Regarding your comment about folks needing a drink to spend a day at the parks, did anyone here insinuate that? I don’t remember.
I already know I hold the minority opinion, so maybe I was just trying to minimize the amount of “Actually... “ type responses that I’d have to respond to :)

As for the insinuation, it might not have been directly from here, but certainly the Internet is full of the “finally, something to get me through IASW” type comments. Yes, I’m aware they’re largely joking, but you know some aren’t...

Maybe “get me through the day” isn’t the right sentiment, but there is certainly an undercurrent out there that automatically assumes “alcohol = more fun” and I’d just hate to see that at the parks. Really though, YouTube search “drunk at Disneyland” and you’ll see what I mean. (I linked a video a page or so ago)

Californian Elitist

I already know I hold the minority opinion, so maybe I was just trying to minimize the amount of “Actually... “ type responses that I’d have to respond to :)

As for the insinuation, it might not have been directly from here, but certainly the Internet is full of the “finally, something to get me through IASW” type comments. Yes, I’m aware they’re largely joking, but you know some aren’t...

Maybe “get me through the day” isn’t the right sentiment, but there is certainly an undercurrent out there that automatically assumes “alcohol = more fun” and I’d just hate to see that at the parks. Really though, YouTube search “drunk at Disneyland” and you’ll see what I mean. (I linked a video a page or so ago)
Considering alcohol has been available at the resort for many years now, I honestly don’t see a significant difference with offering it at Disneyland, with the exception of history.

I agree that there is a common sentiment within the general society that alcohol correlates to having more of a good time, but I don’t see that becoming a thing at Disneyland. I highly doubt there are dozens of cases of drunk guests at the parks daily, at least not drunk enough to ruin the vibe at the park. In addition, there are plenty of perfectly sober jerks to go around at the park.

I think consuming a little alcohol on property, even at Disneyland, is harmless and shouldn’t be associated with emotional, mental, or other types of personal issues.

Mac Tonight

Considering alcohol has been available at the resort for many years now, I honestly don’t see a significant difference with offering it at Disneyland, with the exception of history.

I agree that there is a common sentiment within the general society that alcohol correlates to having more of a good time, but I don’t see that becoming a thing at Disneyland. I highly doubt there are dozens of cases of drunk guests at the parks daily, at least not drunk enough to ruin the vibe at the park. In addition, there are plenty of perfectly sober jerks to go around at the park.

I think consuming a little alcohol on property, even at Disneyland, is harmless and shouldn’t be associated with emotional, mental, or other types of personal issues.
And I guess I just don’t jive with the sentiment that history alone is not good enough to warrant an idea (especially one held by the park’s creator) staying in place. I mean, it’s a good thing attractions themselves aren’t being viewed in this light (that we know of). Though sadly, it’s not difficult for me to imagine Chapek in a meeting say, “______ (insert old attraction) has been around how many years??? I won’t have that. Let’s get rid of it.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom