News Disneyland Adds Alcohol to Blue Bayou Menu

SSG

You can already drink at Disneyland at GE if people forgot.

How about for Blue Bayou they bring back the gumbo that used to come with each meal?
True enough but Disney kind of played it as a one-off. New land, special circumstances. Not the opening move in doing exactly what they wanted: sell alcohol in Disneyland parkwide.

Mac Tonight

“Booze Chapek’s Disneyland”

drunk-cartoon-characters-las-vegas-america-apr-2012-shutterstock-editorial-1686211b.jpg

Last edited:

D.Silentu

I'm still a bit miffed about the restrictions put on the Cantina, but this is a move that makes sense. I have trouble imagining alcohol at other Disneyland locations though, besides the Cafe Orleans.

Sharon&Susan

I wouldn't be surprised if they keep it confined to TS and just open more TS restaurants. There's plenty of space in Tomorrowland for a new restaurant for example.

I wonder if they regret not building a table service restaurant where Tropical Hideaway is to replace Aladdin, I'm sure the space could fit a two floor restaurant with plenty of seating.

Zorro

I'm about as big of a Disneyland purist and/or traditionalist as you will ever meet, but this teetotaler doesn't necessarily have a problem with this change. It is true that Walt didn't want alcohol in the park (his private booze stash in his apartment aside), but if you look at his comments, his issue seemed to be more with the atmosphere sometimes found with unregulated drinking. When he was inspecting various boardwalks, state fairs, and amusement parks, he likely observed some alcohol-fueled rowdiness and decided he wanted to avoid that entirely - hence the no booze restriction. Serving alcohol in a limited capacity in a table service restaurant is different from Norm and Cliff guzzling beers as they roam the park. The spirit of what Walt desired is obeyed even if the exact letter isn't. That said, I do believe that alcohol should be limited to table service restaurants only and shouldn't be offered in quick service contexts.

fctiger

Freaking finally!

The most ridiculous ban to have all this time later. People like to have drinks occasionally on vacations or entertainment places. It's the only thing that kept DCA popular it's first five years lol. But we all knew this would happen once the Cantina opened in GE and was probably a success beyond anyone at Disney could imagine because they built that place so small. And they manage to have alcohol and a note to all the naysayers, look at that, no one died. Since they have alcohol at pretty much every theme park on the globe, I still don't understand why others acted like having alcohol at DL was going to cause chaos. It's like people only go to this one theme park and nowhere else I guess, including parks in SoCal.

George Lucas on a Bench

I'm all for banning booze. It isn't some bizarre antiquated thing that should be done away with in the 21st Century and called "Progress", "Plussing", "Inclusive" and other buzzwords. It's nothing positive, really. It's all about profits.

Booze was kept out of Disneyland for a very long time because Walt designed it that way aside from exclusive areas not accessible to the general public, and they managed to honor it until that spray-tanned baldie took charge.

I'm kind of astounded by the overwhelming support here for boozing up Disneyland, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Everyone was so up-in-arms when they sold dolls in the Main Street Theater, but we're fine with turning Disneyland into an alcoholic park. Buncha nutjobs here.

TrainsOfDisney

It is true that Walt didn't want alcohol in the park (his private booze stash in his apartment aside), but if you look at his comments, his issue seemed to be more with the atmosphere sometimes found with unregulated drinking. When he was inspecting various boardwalks, state fairs, and amusement parks, he likely observed some alcohol-fueled rowdiness and decided he wanted to avoid that entirely - hence the no booze restriction.
That’s the same type of behavior I’ve seen at Epcot and DCA.

I’m fine with it at table service restaurants but i won’t be fine when it goes to quick service and carts like it eventually will.

fctiger

I'm all for banning booze. It isn't some bizarre antiquated thing that should be done away with in the 21st Century and called "Progress", "Plussing", "Inclusive" and other buzzwords. It's nothing positive, really. It's all about profits.

Booze was kept out of Disneyland for a very long time because Walt designed it that way aside from exclusive areas not accessible to the general public, and they managed to honor it until that spray-tanned baldie took charge.

I'm kind of astounded by the overwhelming support here for boozing up Disneyland, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Everyone was so up-in-arms when they sold dolls in the Main Street Theater, but we're fine with turning Disneyland into an alcoholic park. Buncha nutjobs here.

Nearly every theme park has alcohol including the overwhelming of Disney parks. It's just a very outdated idea. Maybe in the 50s it made sense because it was the 50s. Today it's really outdated.

Zorro

That’s the same type of behavior I’ve seen at Epcot and DCA.

I’m fine with it at table service restaurants but i won’t be fine when it goes to quick service and carts like it eventually will.

I agree. There's a slippery slope here. If you can limit it to the TSRs, that's probably not going to change the atmosphere that much. Serving it at quick service locations and carts could. The last thing we need is the Foster Brooks types of the world indulging at the happiest place on earth. That said, it sounds like we might be getting at DL what is already implemented at WDW's Magic Kingdom, and I'm not aware of a breakdown of order there. Then again, the potential combination of obnoxious vloggers and alcohol doesn't sound that great to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom