Disneyland 3rd park Discussion

Mike730

I wish I could find my review of it from December 2000 during previews.

I still remember trying SOMETHING nice to say about it. I think I failed.....

The first one is zoning on land they own outside the DRSP. And probably land somewhere to make up for giving up part of the Strawberry Field. Maybe for parking or backstage, as nothing is available close by.
Gene Autry Way has always been a road that was supposed to connect the Convention Center with Angel Stadium, and both the City of Anaheim and CalTrans want it to be completed. It's actually an old project, not something new, and it's been in Anaheim's planning documents for years and years. It's also why the Gene Autry Way freeway interchange was built by CalTrans.

city_presentation_Page_10.jpg
Thank you both for the insight!

Disneylover152

LOL, there are about 30 million people per year that spend big money to enjoy those horribly under built parks, resorts, restaurants , and entertainment options. And to think those people that spend all of that time and money, even though they leave there so incredibly bored and disappointed, return at all. If only they could pack in as many rides as Anaheim they might even be able to sell tens of thousands of people timeshares , but that just isn’t possible with the lack of things to do there

I wouldn't say people leave Disney World bored and disappointed. All the parks in Disney World, except Hollywood Studios, have enough to occupy a guest for the majority of the day. Epcot and Magic Kingdom can both be counted as two-day parks, as I know many non-Disney fans who spend their entire day wandering around the World Showcase without doing any rides at all, and then come back for a second day to do Future World and more World Showcase.

Disney World under built their parks, but having 45 rides in each park isn't necessarily what makes theme parks a good park. Just because a park has only 8 rides and a few shows doesn't mean it's disappointing. Is it ideal? No. But having less stuff to do in the park, especially Animal Kingdom and Epcot, is beneficial in certain ways as it allows guests to just explore and wander around. If Animal Kingdom had 40 rides in the park it would take the charm away from it. Guests will just be focused on the rides and not bother to see the spectacular shows like Finding Nemo and Festival of the Lion King, or go through the animal trails.

RollerCoaster

One of the big drawbacks to a 3rd gate in Anaheim is distance from the other parks. People love how easy it is to park hop. That would not exist with the 3rd gate. It would require a walk or a shuttle or a monorail ride (which would never be put in and many would whine about incessantly) so it would be a big deterrent.

No, that's a positive. Having the 3rd park be less accessible will make guests stay in the park longer, possibly even deciding to only visit that park on that visit.

The fact that so many, especially passholders, treat Disneyland and California Adventure as one big park is a problem.

Park hopping is not a benefit to the company, it's a benefit to the consumer. Park hopping costs the park money and gate revenue is discounted.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Absolutely untrue what you say. You're not factoring in land costs and other costs. Costs of land and construction is much less in Texas than Southern California!

We're (or at least I was in that post) talking about ticket price, not the price to built the park. Obviously the land cost and construction costs in TX are lower than CA. But even when built it won't cost a guest any less to go through the gate than at CA or FL.

RollerCoaster

Not based on city permits and other factors. Much of Toy Story will end up in the city's hands for expansion of Gene Autry Way, and more Convention Parking. Disney is getting other things in trade.

You absolutely don't know what you're talking about. Gene Autry Way...the street that dead ends into the Anaheim Stadium parking lot and dead ends into private property at South Haster Street. The entire street that is only one mile in length, that never has been, nor was intended to be an major thoroughfare. Even if extended through the Anaheim stadium parking lot it would dead end again on the other side. And if extended through Toy Story to Harbor it dead ends there.

The Toy Story Lot is Disney property. There is no plan, nor need to extend Gene Autry Way!

Disney spent $90 million to purchase the 56 acre parcel from the Fujishige family 20 years ago. There is no way that Disney will gift (clearly the city would have to pay) that parcel to the city to extend a pointless street. The city would not pay the fair market value either. The value of that land far exceeds that of surrounding properties because of the size and potential development options.

The only scenario I can foresee where Anaheim would take control of Disney's Toy Story property would be a land swap with the city for the Anaheim Stadium property. Clearly the intent would be to build a third theme park, which is the long term goal of the Toy Story site.

RollerCoaster

We're (or at least I was in that post) talking about ticket price, not the price to built the park. Obviously the land cost and construction costs in TX are lower than CA. But even when built it won't cost a guest any less to go through the gate than at CA or FL.

Gate pricing would be based on what the market allows. To claim that it would be the same as in California or Florida is very likely not true. SeaWorld prices there admission products in San Antonio lower than Orlando or San Diego.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Gate pricing would be based on what the market allows. To claim that it would be the same as in California or Florida is very likely not true. SeaWorld prices there admission products in San Antonio lower than Orlando or San Diego.

This is Disney not SeaWorld. Disney would charge a premium because they can and will charge a premium.

However this is all academic as in the end it doesn't matter anyways because Disney is not building a park in Texas.

Stevek

You absolutely don't know what you're talking about. Gene Autry Way...the street that dead ends into the Anaheim Stadium parking lot and dead ends into private property at South Haster Street. The entire street that is only one mile in length, that never has been, nor was intended to be an major thoroughfare. Even if extended through the Anaheim stadium parking lot it would dead end again on the other side. And if extended through Toy Story to Harbor it dead ends there.

The Toy Story Lot is Disney property. There is no plan, nor need to extend Gene Autry Way!

Disney spent $90 million to purchase the 56 acre parcel from the Fujishige family 20 years ago. There is no way that Disney will gift (clearly the city would have to pay) that parcel to the city to extend a pointless street. The city would not pay the fair market value either. The value of that land far exceeds that of surrounding properties because of the size and potential development options.

The only scenario I can foresee where Anaheim would take control of Disney's Toy Story property would be a land swap with the city for the Anaheim Stadium property. Clearly the intent would be to build a third theme park, which is the long term goal of the Toy Story site.
Lol. If anyone knows what they are talking about it's probably Darkbeer/David.

DanielBB8

The trade won’t be for the entire Toy Story Lot. The city only wants a portion for the roadway in exchange for a few parcels. The city controls the zoning so that lot is a parking lot and can’t be anything else. The city wants to keep the Angels. And since Disney isn’t committed to a third park, there’s no way Disney can come up with a deal. This is especially dicey since Disney once owned the Angels and can’t be seen trying to get them out of Anaheim to get the land. A conflict of interest. In the end, Disney have other priorities than a third park. ALWI tied everyone’s hands and made business more expensive and probably prohibitive.

Phroobar

Single park single regular day for Disneyland vs Magic Kingdom:

Disneyland $117
Magic Kingdom $109.

EPCOTCenterLover

In 2012/2013, I spent a full day at DCA. But the quality is going downhill, and the attractions are overall not as repeatable as those at Disneyland. If the suits want guests to stay in the park all day and not hop, they better come up with some new plans quickly. Pixar Pier was not the answer.

RollerCoaster

Lol. If anyone knows what they are talking about it's probably Darkbeer/David.

You can bow to Darkbeer all you want. And yes, he's generally well informed, but that doesn't make him right all the time.

However, I'll ask you this question. Why would Disney seek out this property and pay a premium price if the city of Anaheim's long term intent was to pave a road through the middle of the parcel dividing it? Such a plan would make the two parcels significantly less valuable.

Disney spent years trying to acquire the property from the Fujishige family. The family had refused repeated multi-million dollar offers to sell the 56-acre parcel. Disney stated at the time of purchase in 1998 their intent was to expand on the property. City leaders praised the news of the sale to Disney. A few years later Disney stated their long term plan was to eventually build a third theme park on the property.

I'm sorry, but Disney would've known the city's long term plan to extend the road at time they made this purchase. The bridge over Interstate 5 was put in to create another connection between the stadium and resort sides and it accomplished that goal, but there was NO INTENT to extend Gene Autry Way across the Disney property. There is no need for a direct road connection between the stadium and convention center. Beyond the Disney parcel there are two additional residential properties that stand in the way of paving a Gene Autry Way connection. Furthermore with the future of Anaheim Stadium unknown the need for a direct road between the two is even more questionable.

Disney's actions strongly suggest there was no intention by the city to extend the road any further.

Phroobar

DNYA - Disney New York Adventure park
With five lands including
Manhattanland - with mini Hell's Kitchen land - meet Dare Devil, Jessica Jones and the Punisher.
Brooklynland - with the Spectacular Spiderman ride.
Queensland - with the Amazing Spiderman ride
Staten Island - help the Ghostbusters bust ghosts with the Statue of Liberty.
Bronxland - formally Disneyland's Tomorrowland
with a subway ride connecting all five lands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom