News Disney100 Celebration coming to EPCOT in late 2023

James Alucobond

That's not really a fair comparison. It's Disney World; people are generally expecting to hear the Disney songs they know and love, not a cover version. People don't go to a Taylor Swift concert wanting to hear someone else come on stage and perform a cover version of one of her songs (this isn't exactly a fair comparison either, but it's a closer fit to the Disney scenario than the idea of a cover in general).

That's not to say it should never be done, but it seems like they've been using new versions more often than the originals in recent years.
I disagree. Shows at Disney World feature medleys and arrangements of their most popular songs all the time. I really don't see the problem with a special 100th anniversary version of this song; it just seems a very odd thing to complain about. I get not liking the arrangement, but I fail to see the problem with the practice in general.

Were people equally upset that Wishes included an arrangement of this song? I'm just perplexed.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I disagree. Shows at Disney World feature medleys and arrangements of their most popular songs all the time. I really don't see the problem with a special 100th anniversary version of this song; it just seems a very odd thing to complain about. I get not liking the arrangement, but I fail to see the problem with the practice in general.

Were people equally upset that Wishes included an arrangement of this song? I'm just perplexed.

It's not a weird position that, in general, people prefer hearing the version of songs they know. This is a myopic perspective; you're essentially suggesting that your personal opinion is the correct one and anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy.

I'm also not sure where you're getting the idea that anyone is upset.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

You're doing a lot of projection here; this is almost a strawman argument.

It's not a weird position that, in general, people prefer hearing the version of songs they know.
I … guess I’m confused? I assumed from the last page that people were upset (or annoyed, if you prefer) that they would pay to commission new versions of these songs when they claim folks “just want to hear the originals”. Just trying to say that I fundamentally disagree that people always want to hear the exact same version over and over and that there are obvious reasons why they would make new recordings based on either the context in which they will be used or modern stylistic sensibilities.

Brian

Christina Aguilera did a beautiful live rendition of When you Wish Upon a Star at Disneyland's 50th back in 2005. That was the last time I heard a rendition of the song that deviates from the original that was done well.

Also, those interested in how to properly acknowledge a milestone anniversary should watch the whole video (the above embed starts at the aforementioned song).
It features Julie Andrews, non-grey haired Bob Iger, and even host of the 1955 grand opening telecast, Art Linkletter.

UNCgolf

I … guess I’m confused? I assumed from the last page that people were upset (or annoyed, if you prefer) that they would pay to commission new versions of these songs when they claim folks “just want to hear the originals”. Just trying to say that I fundamentally disagree that people always want to hear the exact same version over and over and that there are obvious reasons why they would make new recordings based on either the context in which they will be used or modern stylistic sensibilities.

I'm not sure how you can fundamentally disagree with that. Even beyond the fact that it's essentially projecting your own personal preference on the general public, it kind of flies in face of what we know about music. People still listen to older music because they like it; they don't want to replace the Beatles with new versions of Beatles songs in a contemporary style, e.g., they want to listen to the original songs. Modern stylistic sensibilities are generally for new music.

Of course there's nothing wrong with doing it occasionally, and covers can be great. My comment was that it seems like it's become a regular practice now for Disney to re-record most older songs whenever they use them in something new in the parks, and for a company that's all about using their recognizable IP, it feels a little backwards. Your comment came across like the idea that anyone would prefer hearing the originals is crazy and obviously wrong.

This version is fine (and I like Sara Bareilles), but, for me, the light show with this version doesn't have nearly the same impact as it would with the original.

James Alucobond

I'm not sure how you can fundamentally disagree with that. Even beyond the fact that it's essentially projecting your own personal preference on the general public, it kind of flies in face of what we know about music. People still listen to older music because they like it; they don't want to replace the Beatles with new versions of Beatles songs in a contemporary style, e.g., they want to listen to the original songs. Modern stylistic sensibilities are generally for new music.
Of course people still like the originals. It is not an either/or situation. I read your statement as saying that people always prefer the originals, the absolutism of which is what I’m disagreeing with; if that were true, covers, arrangements, and medleys would not sell at all, and Disney nighttime shows would just be a collage of songs.
Your comment came across like the idea that anyone would prefer hearing the originals is crazy and obviously wrong.
Not my intent at all, so sorry if it came across that way.

SteveAZee

Of course there's nothing wrong with doing it occasionally, and covers can be great. My comment was that it seems like it's become a regular practice now for Disney to re-record most older songs whenever they use them in something new in the parks, and for a company that's all about using their recognizable IP, it feels a little backwards. Your comment came across like the idea that anyone would prefer hearing the originals is crazy and obviously wrong.

This version is fine (and I like Sara Bareilles), but, for me, the light show with this version doesn't have nearly the same impact as it would with the original.
I love Sara Bareilles and when I heard her version of it I was really moved. I don't think I'll know how I'll feel about it in context at Epcot until I'm there in December (fingers crossed). Context is a lot of it, and it affects people different ways.

UNCgolf

I love Sara Bareilles and when I heard her version of it I was really moved. I don't think I'll know how I'll feel about it in context at Epcot until I'm there in December (fingers crossed). Context is a lot of it, and it affects people different ways.

I wasn't even complaining about this version -- just pointing out Disney's general tendency to re-record old songs when there's little reason to (sometimes it's understandable like a medley where it would be very difficult to edit together existing recordings). It's not like they aren't regularly releasing new films with new music too, if they want something more modern.

SoFloMagic

What’s most jarring about this “celebration” is that it makes 0 sense for it to be “hosted” at Epcot. It should be at MK but this is a way to pull guests to a park that has more “capacity”. While virtually offering nothing different
Why magic kingdom? I feel like the 100th anniversary of the studio should be celebrated in the park that celebrates studios....

SteveAZee

I wasn't even complaining about this version -- just pointing out Disney's general tendency to re-record old songs when there's little reason to (sometimes it's understandable like a medley where it would be very difficult to edit together existing recordings). It's not like they aren't regularly releasing new films with new music too, if they want something more modern.
Perhaps they are trying (and in your case, failing) to get the best of both worlds... nostalgia from the original song and freshness with a more up-to-date voice and arrangement. For me, I have songs I love that get remade and sometimes I like the newer version more, but often prefer the original (nostalgia and time travel for no other reason sometimes). LOL, what's worse is usually the original artist doing a re-imagining of their own work... especially live in concert. I guess we all have our bugaboos. :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Christina Aguilera did a beautiful live rendition of When you Wish Upon a Star at Disneyland's 50th back in 2005. That was the last time I heard a rendition of the song that deviates from the original that was done well.

You mean all the riffs, including jumping up fifths and octaves?

Because, otherwise, it's the way it's written... with liberal riffing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It takes Xtina 7 minutes to sing “Happy Birthday”.
That's because she's singing it to Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitzweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom