News Disney100 Celebration coming to EPCOT in late 2023

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Disney uses celebration, activation, attraction, experience for just about everything now. This will probably be a photo op and a cupcake at Connections.
Some details...

Meeting Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse in their platinum attire to snapping a selfie with a platinum sculpture of the one who started it all and watching Spaceship Earth illuminate the evenings with a special lighting design.
You were half right, Andrew. I give you props.

ToTBellHop

I never thought anyone could butcher that song so badly.
Vocalist was like
1695428404434.gif

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Video of the new Disney100 Spaceship Earth light sequence

I know it’s going to get some flack but it’s by far a true Epcot Center style rendition. I’ve always known Epcot for this style music and their hints of Disney IP while keeping Epcot its own thing and I think this fits that.

James Alucobond

I've never understood why they always want to record new versions of classic songs for various things; most people would rather hear the one they know.
I mean, why cover or arrange any song? People do indeed enjoy it whether it's to give it new life in a more contemporary style or to adapt it for a specific use by giving it grander or more subdued orchestration.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
What’s most jarring about this “celebration” is that it makes 0 sense for it to be “hosted” at Epcot. It should be at MK but this is a way to pull guests to a park that has more “capacity”. While virtually offering nothing different
Well, much like the 50th, the 100 had budget cuts and the best parts did not make it.

UNCgolf

I mean, why cover or arrange any song? People do indeed enjoy it whether it's to give it new life in a more contemporary style or to adapt it for a specific use by giving it grander or more subdued orchestration.

That's not really a fair comparison. It's Disney World; people are generally expecting to hear the Disney songs they know and love, not a cover version. People don't go to a Taylor Swift concert wanting to hear someone else come on stage and perform a cover version of one of her songs (this isn't exactly a fair comparison either, but it's a closer fit to the Disney scenario than the idea of a cover in general).

That's not to say it should never be done, but it seems like they've been using new versions more often than the originals in recent years.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom