Disney World upgrades Fast Pass computer

TURKEY

Original Poster
Disney World upgrades Fast Pass computer
By Todd Pack and Robert Johnson
Sentinel Staff Writers

July 29, 2002

The Fast Pass computer at Walt Disney World is speeding up.

Some guests have complained that they had to use their Fast Pass -- issued free via computers at kiosks within the four theme parks-- or wait two hours before obtaining another one.

Disney says the Fast Pass computer was too slow to keep track of which tickets were used and that was the reason for the two-hour window.

But that meant some guests were limited by Fast Pass to about one ride an hour while using the system. So while they wouldn't stand in line for an hour, the effect was still to wait an hour between rides.

In response to guest feedback, Disney says its Fast Pass computer has been upgraded so that it can now issue a second ticket within 45 minutes of the first one -- "depending on guest demand."

In other words, a guest could be issued two Fast Pass Tickets within an hour and attend both rides within that period.

There's no guarantee it will be that fast, however. Disney spokesman Dale Stafford said, "There is no exact answer as to how soon a guest might be able to obtain an additional Fast Pass ticket."

But the faster guests finish attending attractions the more time and energy they have to buy and carry souvenirs before they leave the parks.

Copyright © 2002, Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...072902jul29.story?coll=orl-business-headlines

jmarc63

I still think that there is some details that are missing. there ha to be an explaination from disney how the new system is supposed to react to demand . and for demand for an individual attraction or total demand on the entire FP system

Rider

I always thought the 2 hour thing was more policy than any computer reason.

To keep too many people from using the system and blocking lines.

WDWFREAK53

I dunno about this...so are you saying that it's gonna tell you the NEW UPGRADED time that you are eligible for another FastPass or is it still going to say the 2 hour window?

45 minutes seems like an obscure number to pick. It would be a lot easier for park guests to understand if it was an even hour.

Tramp

...I had no problem with the 2 hour window and will thoroughly enjoy the 45 minute window...at least now you can get another fastpass sooner at another attraction BEFORE so many tickets are given that it's return time is several hours into the afternoon!

Thanks for the info Brent...

...does anyone know how many fastpasses are issued within any given hour for any given attraction?

mburk

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
So what it comes down to is people have to use the fast pass if they get it. They can't waste it.

Sorry if I'm dense, but I don't understand your post. I don't think the system has been upgraded to the point that it knows if you have actually used your Fastpass. I mean, when you present your FP to the CM don't they just toss them into a box? It's not like they are scanning them into a computer. My take on the story is that the mandatory wait time of 2 hours has now been reduced to a lower number, for now "approx 45 minutes."
Oh, I am one of those nutty people who do take home unused FPs as souvenirs. They are nicer at DL, little cards with a graphic of the ride as opposed to WDWs little slips of paper.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by mburk

Sorry if I'm dense, but I don't understand your post. I don't think the system has been upgraded to the point that it knows if you have actually used your Fastpass. I mean, when you present your FP to the CM don't they just toss them into a box? It's not like they are scanning them into a computer. My take on the story is that the mandatory wait time of 2 hours has now been reduced to a lower number, for now "approx 45 minutes."
Oh, I am one of those nutty people who do take home unused FPs as souvenirs. They are nicer at DL, little cards with a graphic of the ride as opposed to WDWs little slips of paper.

I'm one of those nutty people too :)

Yes, you are correct, the FastPass system does NOT know if you've used your FastPass...

GenerationX

I have two unused FastPasses on my wall. I thought I was the only one who saved them as souvenirs.:)

I wonder if this means the FastPasses for Test Track will run out even sooner in the day?

disneyreports

Sorry, but the 2 hour window is here to stay... Well for the most part anyway... I can assure you that on major E-Ticket attractions the virtual wait will always be 2 hours or higher... Disney is however strating to adjust to a 45 minute virtual wait on some of the less popular Fastpass attractions such as Land Boat Ride and possibally shows such as Honey I shrunk the Audience and It's Tough to be a Bug... Don't ever expect to see a 45 minute Fastpass for Coaster, Test Track, Splash, Space Mountain or any of the other popular, high demand attractions...

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Originally posted by disneyreports
Sorry, but the 2 hour window is here to stay... Well for the most part anyway... I can assure you that on major E-Ticket attractions the virtual wait will always be 2 hours or higher... Disney is however strating to adjust to a 45 minute virtual wait on some of the less popular Fastpass attractions such as Land Boat Ride and possibally shows such as Honey I shrunk the Audience and It's Tough to be a Bug... Don't ever expect to see a 45 minute Fastpass for Coaster, Test Track, Splash, Space Mountain or any of the other popular, high demand attractions...

Like the article said....it still has to be based on demand. Therefore the system will work, and will actually work better for all rides.

Example....you get a ticket that says "return between 12:00 and 2:00" Now...that system is designed so that it thinks that all those people will be spaced out in that 2 hours, when most of the people with those passes will come in the first half hour. If you reduce that window to 45 minutes, there will be less congestion at the start and end of those big windows, because the time you CAN use the tickets doesn't have such a big margin.

BigAL

Fast

The tickets always give a one hour return margin. It is two hours before you can get another one unless the time for the one you have appears sooner. Hopefully the change is to create a 45 minute window instead of a two hour window. If they only do it on some attractions wont that make it even more confusing? Which I am all for the more people that are confused about it the more fast passes i can get.

I think -- and don't quote me on this because I'm going by things I've read previous to this upgrade -- that this upgrade will actually give you a time on your fastpass ticket when you can get your next fastpass ticket, based on how crowded the parks/fastpass rides are. For example, if you get a fastpass at noon for RnRC, it will give you your window of time to ride RnRC as well as a time to get your next fastpass ticket. The time to get the next ticket could be as short as 45 minutes, but it could be as long as two hours.

Now I could be totally wrong on this, but I remember reading something about the "big Fastpass upgrade" being easier to use for people that don't understand the system by actually telling you on your ticket when you can get another one.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Fievel

Like the article said....it still has to be based on demand. Therefore the system will work, and will actually work better for all rides.

Example....you get a ticket that says "return between 12:00 and 2:00" Now...that system is designed so that it thinks that all those people will be spaced out in that 2 hours, when most of the people with those passes will come in the first half hour. If you reduce that window to 45 minutes, there will be less congestion at the start and end of those big windows, because the time you CAN use the tickets doesn't have such a big margin.

One of us is taking this the wrong way...

I'm taking it as you get a fastpass...at 10am...and it says it's good for 2pm-3pm...but you can get a SECOND FastPass at 12pm (you get it at 10am and the second one (2 hours later) at 12pm)
I believe the 45 minutes will be from the time you get your first one...not the amount of time you have to USE your FastPass.

Meaning now. you get a fastpass at 10am and it says it's good for 2pm-3pm...but you can get a SECOND FastPass at 10:45am now. (45 minutes from the time you got your first FastPass)

disneydudette

I was always satisfied with the FP...its usually 5 minutes after ur first FP time.....unless the ticket is for further in the evening....then thats when u would get the 2 hour time frame.... either way I'm satisfied.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom