Disney World smell

siliwishes

Original Poster
Ok, the weirdest thing about my Disney obsession is the "Disney Word smell." My brother and I often smell things and we are like "Smells like Dinsey World!" The smell I am describing is probably the watery, damp smell of rides like Pirates, Splash, and Small World. But both my brother and I know it. I have this speicla sulfur wash I wash my face with now and it totally smells like Dinsey. I love using it. Anyway, are we freaks or does anyone else know what I am talking about?? Ha ha.

PagingTomMorrow

siliwishes said:
Ok, the weirdest thing about my Disney obsession is the "Disney Word smell." My brother and I often smell things and we are like "Smells like Dinsey World!" The smell I am describing is probably the watery, damp smell of rides like Pirates, Splash, and Small World. But both my brother and I know it. I have this speicla sulfur wash I wash my face with now and it totally smells like Dinsey. I love using it. Anyway, are we freaks or does anyone else know what I am talking about?? Ha ha.

nope every time im at the train station for some reason the smell reminds me of the TTA

wannab@dis

Been at the Studios when they were spreading fertilizer close by... wanted to forget that smell! :hurl:

MSUSA -- candy shop and popcorn. Awesome!

Mom's the word

I totally know what you mean!!!! DH, DS and I all say the same thing, some smells just remind us of Disney. I think it's often water indoors, like water features at malls, they remind me of the Pirate ride. Wish I could get it in a bottle! What's the face wash you're using that smells like Disney?

Hurricane

siliwishes said:

I'd venture to say it's something to do with the air conditioning. I think I know the smell you're talking about and it's found in large industrial air conditoners, but I think it may be a subtle scent they add to prevent the air from getting stale. But I have definitly walked into places and remarked that it smelled just like Disney

Uponastar

I absolutely know what you're talking about! Smell is a strong memory evoker.
When it comes to WDW many scents get me going. Like cinnamon rolls. Go into a bakery or coffee shop and I think I'm on Main Street. And the smell in the fire scene on Spaceship Earth. I'm not sure what it is but I know I smell it something like it on occasion. Then there are scents that let you know you are back "home" when you return to WDW. Like the water rides, as you mentioned, and the interiors of the shops. Even the merchandise has a unique aroma! I love those smells! :)

siliwishes

Original Poster
Definitely the indoor water smell. And yes! Mall fountains! Probably cause a lot of my favorites happen to be water rides. I am actually using some prescription face wash, unfortunately. It is called Plexion something or other.

PagingTomMorrow

siliwishes said:
Definitely the indoor water smell. And yes! Mall fountains! Probably cause a lot of my favorites happen to be water rides. I am actually using some prescription face wash, unfortunately. It is called Plexion something or other.

when we were in disney we brought our own shampoo and the bottle ran out while we were there...

a couple months later we got the same one and the smell unleashed a cavalcade of disney memory... the effect has all but worn out at this point though:(

i actually learned in biology that smell is the sense most strongly tied together with memory. even more so than site and sound

disneymonger

Take time to smell the Disney

I have to say the smell for me starts as soon as I step out of the car in the on-property resort parking lot. There is just something different about the air...maybe it's the smog reduction or maybe it's just magic...but there is something there! It's almost a form of adrenaline in the air that makes me want to run to the front desk to check in. It's youth, innocence, love, food, and something I forgot - dust...pixie dust! :sohappy:

MY_NAME_STITCH

I gotta say the smell of Disney for me is the wonderful Sweet Shop and the Popcorn. There are a couple places here that get really close to the smell, and when I go in, it's almost like walking into the park. I gotta go back...SOON...

Sledge

Account Suspended
PagingTomMorrow said:
i actually learned in biology that smell is the sense most strongly tied together with memory. even more so than site and sound

Yeah well I learned that from an Old Spice commercial.

dandaman

disneymonger said:
I have to say the smell for me starts as soon as I step out of the car in the on-property resort parking lot. There is just something different about the air...maybe it's the smog reduction or maybe it's just magic...but there is something there! It's almost a form of adrenaline in the air that makes me want to run to the front desk to check in. It's youth, innocence, love, food, and something I forgot - dust...pixie dust! :sohappy:

Couldn't have said it better myself. :sohappy:

WDWcrazy626

I know exactly what you are talking about!!! Just don't forget that memorable bus exhaust that you always smell!! Combined with popcorn, water and chlorine, bus exhaust is a welcome smell around my house!!!

poohbear6103

There is a smell that you get on a hot, damp morning when leaving a longhouse at the Poly and head over to the Great Ceremonial House. I actually smelled it here at home a few times this summer. There was one time my fiancee and I both looked at eachother, bugged our eyes open and said "Disney!" at the same exact time :)
I agree that Small World and Pirates has a smell too. And there is also a smell when the monorail doors open in the Contemporary lobby. I love that smell!

imagineer boy

Florida has a distinct smell in the air, which can only be smelled in Florida. Other smells that remind me of Disney are the flume water attraction smells, and the smell of strong air-conditioners.

Sloan

one Disney smell almost captured

As I think I've mentioned in response to this general topic once before, I've encountered a Disney smell in an easily available product. The Main Street candy store sweet smell is captured pretty well in a soap, I think from Bath & Body Works, called "warm vanilla sugar". Takes me to Main Street for a minute every time I use it - my hands are pretty clean :lookaroun

WDWBro

I can't remember what, but I smelled something when I was hanging with my friends. And I'm like "Splash Mountain. It smells just like Splash Mountain!" And they were like "What the heck are you talking about?"

Some people just don't understand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom